Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

State: Arkansas
THOR #8135
Gas pump nozzle clicking off

Help for some reason when I tried to get gas the gas nozzle keeps clicking as if as the RV is full of gas and I've only got a half tank of gas. Tried two different pumps at the same pilot gas station and it clicks off when I try to put gas in as if it's full but I'm reading a half tank of gas. What is this? what needs to be done! I can't go across country on a half tank of gas....Thor freedom elite 2017

Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Crawl under and look at your vent pipe--its probably all twisted.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
As a temporary solution, don't put the nozzle all the way in and pump slower. Some Pilot nozzles have a very fast flow rate. You hold 55 gal. when full.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Try lifting the gas noozle up while pumping gas. Up as in angle not out. I normally hold the noozle where it meets tge hose and hold it up

I have to do this with my mh and pick up.

It seems if i let the nooze sit in the tank by itself it causes a vacuum and kicks off

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Last year or the year before there was a thread where folks mentioned this issue and the problem was the gas fill tube was kinked to the point where fuel would barely enter the tank. If I remember correctly there were also issues on who was responsible with Ford saying its not their problem and the dealers saying they weren't going to mess with the fuel system.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #6

THOR #8135
Hey thanks guys! I appreciate the help, i went to another gas station, I looked up under the gas tank, didn't see any vent pipe twisted or anything twisted....every thing looked ok, so I didn't push the nozzle all the way and pumped real lightly, that seem to work...but I shouldn't have to do that...we're traveling across country and I'm afraid of what may happen on the next fill up.... that is if I can fill up!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I encountered that problem on a DP I used to own. The last 25 or 30 gallons had to be dribbled in. The problem was the angle of the filler pipe from the outside outlet, to the tank, it was I guess too shallow a drop. A tech straightened the filler out some, and it helped, but for the eleven years I owned it, filling it full was always a PITA. If I was willing to settle for 3/4 full it was good.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #7951
I have the same issues I can hold fuel nozzle upside down and fill up no issues
Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I insert the nozzle as far as it will go, pull the handle, lock it on highest flow and don't have any problems? If the vent tube or the fuel hose is twisted or kinked even a little it'll cause pump to kick off. Guess I'm just lucky I don't have a problem, takes a long time to pump 50-60 gallons of fuel.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #10
edr

Model: freedom elite
State: New Jersey
THOR #6112
gas fill vent line

I also have a freedom elite 29fe, we love it.
We had the same problem as you.
Look for low spots in the vent line hose.
I removed 8" of extra hose.
Took about 20 mins.
Now my problem is that the numbers on the gas pump rise to fast(Ha,Ha!).
Good luck.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #11

THOR #8135
Still having the problem... seems every other gas station I can pump with no issues but the last two, I had to trickle it in, 30 min to fill up! WTH!!! I still see no kinks or twist in the hose and the hose goes directly to steel pipes! Maybe it's filling up at a half tank is the issue????gas bubbles back out When I'm at half tank I have to trickle it in... but I seem to remember when I filled up with no Issues I was at a 1/4 tank... could this have something to do with it?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
edr

Model: freedom elite
State: New Jersey
THOR #6112
slow fuel intake

joethor17
sorry to here that you are still having trouble.
i first tested mine at 1/2 tank, worked fine.
my hoses were not twisted either.
i had a dip in my vent hose, maybe 1" in 18".
even a small low spot will have a affect,hose should be as straight as
possible.
i even heard a gurgle when i pumped fuel.

Hope this helps.
edr
Old 08-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #13

State: Connecticut
THOR #3490
It has happened to me also

The first time I had to take my unit to a truck mechanic to look at the gas intake line. He said it was drooping and he fixed that. Was working fine for about a year then on my last trip it started again. The vapor canister was not responding so they replaced that. He also told me to place a board under my back tire at the gas station and change the angle a bit. He said he has had others have this happen and this seems to help. When I was getting to a gas station and unscrewed my gas cap I would get a large expelling of gas fumes and gas would spray out. I knew it was not venting so I would undo the gas cap every few hours to release pressure which seemed to work. Try pulling onto a piece of wood about 2 inches tall at the pump and change the angle. It is awful to put gas in I know but it will go just do it slowly and never overfill.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #14

THOR #8135
Quote:
Originally Posted by campincarters View Post
The first time I had to take my unit to a truck mechanic to look at the gas intake line. He said it was drooping and he fixed that. Was working fine for about a year then on my last trip it started again. The vapor canister was not responding so they replaced that. He also told me to place a board under my back tire at the gas station and change the angle a bit. He said he has had others have this happen and this seems to help. When I was getting to a gas station and unscrewed my gas cap I would get a large expelling of gas fumes and gas would spray out. I knew it was not venting so I would undo the gas cap every few hours to release pressure which seemed to work. Try pulling onto a piece of wood about 2 inches tall at the pump and change the angle. It is awful to put gas in I know but it will go just do it slowly and never overfill.

Heading to camping world in Albuquerque NM to get it checked out, they're on our route to east coast.... also noticed screws missing from the neck of the gas tank to the RV chassis... WTH!! I hope I can gas up to even make it to New Mexico!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 33SW
State: North Carolina
THOR #8607
I had the same problem fueling my 2014 Chateau 33sw a couple of years ago...checked another forum and got the answer, at least in my case. Check the vent tube or tubes if you have dual tanks. Mine were too long and hung below the fill hoses. They will get some fuel hung in the low spots and not breath causing the pump nozzle to continually cut off while fueling. VERY ANNOYING!! See if you can reposition to above the fill hose and secure with zip ties. I had to disconnect the vent hoses at the fill points and cut them back by a couple of inches and then zip tie above the fuel hose. This is a common problem with Thor.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #16

THOR #8135
Gas pump nozzle clicking off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port24 View Post
I had the same problem fueling my 2014 Chateau 33sw a couple of years ago...checked another forum and got the answer, at least in my case. Check the vent tube or tubes if you have dual tanks. Mine were too long and hung below the fill hoses. They will get some fuel hung in the low spots and not breath causing the pump nozzle to continually cut off while fueling. VERY ANNOYING!! See if you can reposition to above the fill hose and secure with zip ties. I had to disconnect the vent hoses at the fill points and cut them back by a couple of inches and then zip tie above the fuel hose. This is a common problem with Thor.

Went to the dealer, they cut about 1.5 inch off the vent and main gas hose to angle it right, Im pumping gas finally... what a relief!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #17

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethor17 View Post
Help for some reason when I tried to get gas the gas nozzle keeps clicking as if as the RV is full of gas and I've only got a half tank of gas. Tried two different pumps at the same pilot gas station and it clicks off when I try to put gas in as if it's full but I'm reading a half tank of gas. What is this? what needs to be done! I can't go across country on a half tank of gas....Thor freedom elite 2017
My 2017 Chateau did the exact same thing. Shuts on and off when trying to fill. The dealer told me the chassis fuel line was crushed and supposedly put a new one in. Wrote done on the inventory sheet but the next time I filled it up it did the exact same thing. Thor told me it was a Chevy problem since it wasn't part of the coach. Trying to find a Chevy dealer to look at it but I found that the 7 position when filling seems to be the best position when filling for the nozzle. It's a stupid solution to a ridiculous problem in it brand new vehicle. Let me know what your dealer says about it. Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #18

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Isn't it sad as a consumer we have to deal with that? I'm anxious to see what Chevy says about it. I just fill it half full all the time and it gets better gas mileage that way but you have to stop twice as many times so it's a trade-off.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #19

State: New Mexico
THOR #761
Not a Ford or Chevy problem. Thor re-routes the hoses. Happening a second time to me. Also missing and misaligned screws on fuel filler. I sent a pic of that to Thor and said they couldn't see it in the pic......
Old 10-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #20
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
I have a 2019 Axis 27.7 and had the same problem. After searching under the unit I found the 1-1/2" non-reinforced rubber gas line at the tank was almost completely flat. Had it changed for a good quality gas line with the wire reinforcement and I can pump it in as fast as I want.