Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #19181
Gasket below slide-out

Unsure whether this should be called a gasket or a seal or a wiper. It is *UNDER* the slide-out. A couple of sections are missing which allows cold air to come under the slide floor and on to my feet when I am sitting on my recliner. Bugs as well.

I need to replace it, but every search I try just shows people replacing seals/wipers on the *sides* of a slide-out.

So what do I call this piece, so I can find and order some replacement material?

Old 08-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Maybe find it here?
https://uni-grip.com/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblanco View Post
Unsure whether this should be called a gasket or a seal or a wiper. It is *UNDER* the slide-out. A couple of sections are missing which allows cold air to come under the slide floor and on to my feet when I am sitting on my recliner. Bugs as well.

I need to replace it, but every search I try just shows people replacing seals/wipers on the *sides* of a slide-out.

So what do I call this piece, so I can find and order some replacement material?
Steele Rubber Products also had a line of RV seals. The seals you are seeking are "wiper seals" They used under the slide's floor and around the outer edge of slides wall. The wiper seals come in several sizes. The seals used around the inside of the slide surrounds that seal when the slide is closed are "bulb seals".
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Slide seals resource

Take a look at this website. I bought from them a couple of years ago.
https://approducts.net/product-categ...als/slide-out/
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #5

THOR #19181
Well I now have three sources, two of which are new to me, so thank you!

However - I do still have an issue. Which part number or style matches my 2013 Four Winds 31L? I guess I'll have to remove it to find out?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Quote:
Well I now have three sources, two of which are new to me, so thank you!

However - I do still have an issue. Which part number or style matches my 2013 Four Winds 31L? I guess I'll have to remove it to find out?
That’s the only way I know how to do it.
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Here's another source. Searched for "rv slide wiper"

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rv+slide+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

And a search for "rv slide seal"

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+slide+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

You already know which style your looking for, now all you need are its dimensions.

Enjoy this easy diy and let us know how it's going
Old 08-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #8

THOR #19181
nothing matches the shape of my wipers...

bottom outer section about 2" tall, a lip that goes back maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then the softer wiper section that goes up maybe 2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide-wiper.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	32793  
Old 08-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
nothing matches the shape of my wipers...

bottom outer section about 2" tall, a lip that goes back maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then the softer wiper section that goes up maybe 2"
I think that's a Thor standard under slide seal/wiper. My ACE has the same one and it has a couple of upper sections missing. It hasn't risen high enough on the "to do" list for me to search for it though.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #10

THOR #19181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I think that's a Thor standard under slide seal/wiper. My ACE has the same one and it has a couple of upper sections missing. It hasn't risen high enough on the "to do" list for me to search for it though.
So how would one go about finding/ordering a part from Thor? Is this something carried by dealers/service centers?
Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Iowa
THOR #6176
Have the same issue. Looking at the pricing I’m going to try and repair my wiper seals.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:13 PM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #17975
Check out www.steelerubber.com for your gasket & wiper needs. Great company to work with and an extensive selection.

Bob
Old 08-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #13

Model: Thor Chateau 28E
State: Arizona
THOR #13948
Quote:
So how would one go about finding/ordering a part from Thor? Is this something carried by dealers/service centers?
Well I had a problem with a seal like yours under my Chateau bedroom slide. I could not find a source. I called Thor they sent me to an authorized dealer service department which turned out to be where I bought this rv and for mine the description was:

Seal, wiper 14' TPL0023, bottom, w/exterior trim angle, black, (old pl 1379)

new item number was 0229431

Now this was for mine yours maybe different. I provided the service or parts department, Year, Make the usual stuff they want and they sent me a pdf and I picked out what I thought look right.

Note though this stuff came in 14' sticks and believe it or not would have been expensive to ship, way costly as it would have been shipped truck freight to me directly because of 14" length. If cut it in half which worked for me as I need it to be a little less the 7' for my application the shipping was by UPS ground a whole lot cheaper. I think this thing cost about $26 and even cheaper freight by UPS was another $47 totaling $79. Expensive for sure but if you need it and can't get anywhere else what can you do! I am not for sure what truck freight was but I seem to remember it was double the UPS freight.

Hope that is a little help and is the same stuff you need.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #14

State: Kentucky
THOR #17975
Quote:
Originally Posted by racochran View Post
Well I had a problem with a seal like yours under my Chateau bedroom slide. I could not find a source. I called Thor they sent me to an authorized dealer service department which turned out to be where I bought this rv and for mine the description was:

Now this was for mine yours maybe different. I provided the service or parts department, Year, Make the usual stuff they want and they sent me a pdf and I picked out what I thought look right.

Note though this stuff came in 14' sticks and believe it or not would have been expensive to ship, way costly as it would have been shipped truck freight to me directly because of 14" length. If cut it in half which worked for me as I need it to be a little less the 7' for my application the shipping was by UPS ground a whole lot cheaper. I think this thing cost about $26 and even cheaper freight by UPS was another $47 totaling $79. Expensive for sure but if you need it and can't get anywhere else what can you do! I am not for sure what truck freight was but I seem to remember it was double the UPS freight.

Even with the material may come in 14 ft long pieces, when shipped it is typically rolled up and put it in a shallow box that is 2 ft to 3 ft square. So shipping is not usually a problem. When you receive it, unroll it and let it sit in a sunny spot for a while so it flattens back out.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #15

Model: Thor Chateau 28E
State: Arizona
THOR #13948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Even with the material may come in 14 ft long pieces, when shipped it is typically rolled up and put it in a shallow box that is 2 ft to 3 ft square. So shipping is not usually a problem. When you receive it, unroll it and let it sit in a sunny spot for a while so it flattens back out.
The seal I think we are talking about is a combination of soft rubber wiper molded to a 90 degree piece of hard plastic which if bent will break. This hard plastic part lies over the RV side and screwed into side of RV. This sets the soft rubber wiper back into the RV about I guess an inch where it hits the slide surface.

Thought about trying a traditional seal we are used to but not sure a mix of this kind and traditional would work very well. Anyway reason it cannot be just rolled up and shipped and only available in 14' sticks. I don't know if longer pieces are available though but that would for sure require truck frieght instead of UPS

Sorry I confused you with this.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #16

THOR #19181
Quote:

Thank you! Guess I'm gonna have to find an authorized dealer/service facility...
Old 12-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #17

State: Nevada
THOR #21288
i have exactly the same issue. Anyone was able to get it from a different place other than Thor/dealer? What was the cost and P/N? Was shipping expensive?

ty,
Old 12-14-2021, 04:11 AM   #18

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomE24fe View Post
i have exactly the same issue. Anyone was able to get it from a different place other than Thor/dealer? What was the cost and P/N? Was shipping expensive?

ty,
Greetings and Welcome

Thanks for bringing this back to the top of my TODO list.
Could you post a picture of your seal?

Here's a link that has a LOT of seals
https://www.camperid.com/slide-out-stripping.html

Thanks
More tomorrow
Old 12-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If it’s going to be cold, and I’m going to be in same spot for a few days, I tuck a section of a split beach towel in the crack below the slide. When either slide is out, and I look underneath from the inside, I can see daylight where the rollers meet the steel plates. Cold air comes in. Cold air in summer escapes. I tried adding a measly wiper strip but in summer I can still feel cold air blasting out. After watching a YT video about cold weather camping, I cut old beach towels into 12 inch wide strips. I then roll them up and tuck them under the slide. Keeps air out. Keeps air in. No more stink bugs. As part of my pre pullout inspection, I pull them out before I slide in and keep them with the pool noodles cut and shaped for corner protection (I value my scalp). BTW- my slide wipers are in great condition. But they don’t seal. There are no bulb seals on the bottom. The lower bulb seals only activate when slide is in.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #20

THOR #8139
Quote:

I've searched MANY locations for these seals, except Thor dealers.
This is as close as I've gotten, anybody think it will/willnot work?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211214-184751_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	35221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211214-184847_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	35222