Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Why Safe-T-Plus vs. Bilstein

Steering stabilizers and dampeners do the same thing. What is the value of spending $400 for Saf-T-Plus vs. $120 for Bilstein???

Old 07-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
Steering stabilizers and dampeners do the same thing. What is the value of spending $400 for Saf-T-Plus vs. $120 for Bilstein???
None.
Not a thing
Nothing.
I have a $40 unit. Works like any other.
If I could find value in something else, I'd install something else.

A double action piston is a double action piston is a double action piston.

I am not perfectly educated on this topic. I can change my mind based on real world comparisons unit to unit from someone who has had different units on the same vehicle.

There's a couple of posts on this forum from maybe five months ago where someone paid $3,500 for one... Only to be topped by the $5,000 guy....

But:
There is a double rancho stabilzer with remote res tanks I keep an eye on at Amazon.
Impractical, it will be to lampoon some offroaders I know.
It'll be extremely funny and wayyyy shiny.
So if I post later about it remember it's a lampoon of over the top boybait add-ons.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

THOR #13932
Seperate post.
There's a company which makes a stabilizer unit being a bit unique.

The unit has an electric motor in it that can move the mounting point and this allows you to make an adjustment for a road crown or constant side wind by using a driver operated control.

Lots of complaints of failure all seem to be due to water entry and killing the board but no real review of theory vs life.

Anyone have one?

I was intrigued, now just curious.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Actually, they don't do the same thing. Stabilizers return the steering to center. Dampeners just dampen the movement from side-to-side.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Lay the two out side by side, then answer your own question.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Lay the two out side by side, then answer your own question.
How?
What would be the difference other than size and looks for marketing.
Is piston size on one not available on the other?
Is the larger piston size even needed?
What does one do that the other doesnt?
Do we know of a single failure of one that wasn't the same failure of the other?
What's the overall failure rate of the two?
It is, in many cases, just two nuts, to replace a failed one.
If the $40 unit fails every ten years and the $500 unit every 12 years....

Maybe it's packaging.
I'd like to read what you see and I don't when side by side.
I may be missing something and I may need to upgrade.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Sigh. The dampener just does that. It dampens road vibrations and sudden movements. The steering stabilizer has springs built in, either under the metal cover, or in the open, and has a dampener, and it helps return the steering to the neutral position.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Sigh. The dampener just does that. It dampens road vibrations and sudden movements. The steering stabilizer has springs built in, either under the metal cover, or in the open, and has a dampener, and it helps return the steering to the neutral position.
OK.
Got it.
What's the real world physical usage difference between a 40 dollar unit and a 500 dollar and a 5,000 dollar unit?

Why do we need help, beyond factory, returning to center except if dead stopped and against a curb?

One of the cars I had didn't return to center on its own. Wow, that was so hard to drive. You'd think it would be no big deal, but it was indeed a big deal.
But
Modern steering geometry cause center....

Could, just possibly, some of the driver fatigue in a cross wind be from fighting too big of a recentering device?
It's trying to center, you're trying to go down the road at a 3 degree angle....

Old 07-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

OK.
Got it.
What's the real world physical usage difference between a 40 dollar unit and a 500 dollar and a 5,000 dollar unit?

Why do we need help, beyond factory, returning to center except if dead stopped and against a curb?

One of the cars I had didn't return to center on its own. Wow, that was so hard to drive. You'd think it would be no big deal, but it was indeed a big deal.
But

Could, just possibly, some of the driver fatigue in a cross wind be from fighting too big of a recentering device?
It's trying to center, you're trying to go down the road at a 3 degree angle....
Google is your friend. Just one of MANY results that answers your multitude of questions.

And the Roadmaster Reflex:

Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

OK.
Got it.

But

I can say, from experience with the Challenger, that going over the same 2 bridges in high winds with and without the Safe T Plus was as different as night and day. With the Safe T Plus I was not fighting the wheel as hard to stay centered in my lane on the bridge. The winds were blowing sustained 20 and gusts 30 mph.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but based on my experience the Safe T Plus reduces fatigue from trying to keep the vehicle going straight. And BTW, I want to go straight and not 3 degrees.

Although the current coach handles very well with no mods I am looking at the Safe T Plus for the blow out aspect.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #11

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:57 AM   #12

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I just installed some front Sumo Springs yesterday and I ordered a Bilstein Steering Dampener that should arrive tomorrow.

I will post a review after I get the dampener installed.

By the way, I was really impressed with the front Sumo Springs. I was surprised that they even made a significant difference with the steering as well...I guess they hope to stabilize the loosey goosey steering components.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:03 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
None.
Not a thing
Nothing.
I have a $40 unit. Works like any other.
If I could find value in something else, I'd install something else.

A double action piston is a double action piston is a double action piston.

I am not perfectly educated on this topic. I can change my mind based on real world comparisons unit to unit from someone who has had different units on the same vehicle.

There's a couple of posts on this forum from maybe five months ago where someone paid $3,500 for one... Only to be topped by the $5,000 guy....

But:
There is a double rancho stabilzer with remote res tanks I keep an eye on at Amazon.
Impractical, it will be to lampoon some offroaders I know.
It'll be extremely funny and wayyyy shiny.
So if I post later about it remember it's a lampoon of over the top boybait add-ons.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
If you have loose steering at highway speeds you need more +caster.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Big difference in the Safty Plus and just a steering dampner IMO. I have one on my Axis and love it. Easy to install yourself.

The Saftey plus provides about 500# of pressure to the left and right off of center. It will try Keep the wheels perfectly straight. Once you let go of the wheel (while driving) it will quickly return to center (much qucker than without one installed).

So When in a parking lot / Camp grounds at slow speeds you have to muscle the steering wheel around (not bad but some effort). But once on the road its not as bad.... Feels like a sports car = firmer steering.

But my HD dampner on my old Jeep YJ you dont feel at all when making turn and it dont try to straighen out the wheel automatically. It just takes some of the jolts out of the steering wheel while driving.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #16

THOR #13932
So,
If it applies 500# of pressure to help you find center, doesnt it have to provide 500# of fight when you have your steering wheel pointed 3 degrees into a wind?
It doesn't know wind, it only knows center.
I don't understand how if it's trying to keep the steering wheel centered it isn't adding to the fatigue of fighting a wind where your steering wheel is off by many degrees.

Hoe do it know?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I can't explain the physics or the engineering but the saf-t-plus is like a magic wand when it comes to improved handling.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Not really. To me if the wind is constant you not over correcting. You just hold it like an inch or two from center to fight the wind. And if its a gusty its much easier to control then before.

The fighting the wheel only comes into play at slow speed and doing a lot of turns in a row (like lock to lock turning in parking lots, gas station etc). Its might be bad if someone has a bum arm or perhaps up in age. But for me its not an issue.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #19

THOR #12231
I guess you have to just drive one to see what its all about. I think its worth the money.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Not really. To me if the wind is constant you not over correcting. You just hold it like an inch or two from center to fight the wind. And if its a gusty its much easier to control then before.

The fighting the wheel only comes into play at slow speed and doing a lot of turns in a row (like lock to lock turning in parking lots, gas station etc). Its might be bad if someone has a bum arm or perhaps up in age. But for me its not an issue.
I was driving my MH with the Roadmaster Reflex installed 4 weeks after shoulder surgery one handed. No problem turning it lock-to-lock in close quarters because I have power steering and the Roadmaster makes it real easy to get back to center.