Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Gel Coat Restoration

Has anybody happened upon a gelcoat restoration product they'd be willing to stake their reputation on?

Old 11-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I wish. I'll also be watching these responses. Its been discussed many times here but I have not succeeded in restoring mine. Heres what I have tried to date.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574295165
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37E99D04-C7F5-423F-820F-8B77E7971A6A.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	21549  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #3

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I wish. I'll also be watching these responses. Its been discussed many times here but I have not succeeded in restoring mine. Heres what I have tried to date.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574295165
Ouch. Thank you. At least you have reckoned what to avoid. This could get interesting.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I have been using Menzerna polishing compounds for our cars for several years now. I have bottles of 1, 2 & 3000 grit. I used 2000, then 3000 with an orbital buffer. It's a tough job I won't kid you there. In the future I think I'll pay to have the MH done.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
My boat sat in the sun and brackish water for 7-8 months a year. I only waxed it once a year. And it would be oxidized after sitting in those conditions. Get a product called Miracle Cloth. It does not strip/take the layers of finish off like compounds. I then used new finish after the whole boat was done in it. My boat when I sold it was 17 years old and looked new.

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Cloth...97604378&psc=1
Old 11-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #6

THOR #12189
Update

My rig is gel coat. I'm hand waxing and noticed something. I only point out hand wax for one reason: You know when you use that overlapping circular motion to apply wax? I might have let it get too heavy in some places and my observation was revealing (to me?). Where it was a little heavy, there was no 'swirl', per se, but a 'C'.

Where the wax may have laid a little heavy, you can see where it provided enough of some kind of emollient to bring back the base in some of the dull spots.

What emollient does gel coat need to come back to life?
Old 11-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
most RVs are not gel coat

The tan on the outside of many of these MHs is not gel coat paint. It is just color added to the plastic/fiberglass when produced. No amount of wax or other polishes are going to bring the shine back to them permanently. For years they were just white so no one noticed. I have seen that many companies are actually going back to white no as the colors do not last very long.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

THOR #1249
A couple or so years ago, I got an estimate on having a clear coat done on the coach. I think it was around $3200 for two coats of euro clear coat, what ever that is with life time warranty. I declined as I did not want to spend any more on my kit RV.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #9536
I use a cleaning product called Trailer Bright. It is a detergent that will clean the gel coat, will not harm the decals and leaves the gel coat with a medium luster all in one step. Their website is www.trailerbright.com
Old 11-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #10

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Its been my experience with gel coat in the past on boats and motorhomes, once it has a chance to oxidize it will only continue to get worse over time, a good fiberglass cleaner wax will some times restore the shine for a short period of time, keeping the coach covered or inside is your best bet, heavy oxidation needs a rubbing compound with a power polisher, I just bought one at Home Depot for $34.00, then a mix of pads and a gallon of cleaner wax from Amazon, its a lot of work but if its not done on a regular basis the finish will just get worse, I did run across a product at a boat show once and it is some kind of coating and was expensive, it could only be applied by hand and no circular motion, had to be a back and forth to avoid air bubbles forming, the finish did last about 5 years using the boat in salt water, if I run across the product I will post the information, cost back then on a 21 foot boat was almost $200.00 for the product and a weeks work in buffing out the finish and then applying the product.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #11

THOR #12189
Thank you. I'm no stranger to hard work. Share what you gave when you're ready.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #12

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I just had our coach detailed last week. The guy that did it was able to bring back the shine on the front cap with a buffer, he also said to either keep it waxed at least every 4 months or get a cover for it. After he left I applyed a coat of F 11 should last 3 to 6 months. Right now it looks like it did when it was in the showroom. Time will tell.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Renew any Gelcoat

I had a red boat that oxidized to an ugly mess. I also had a 40 year old catamaran sailboat that had oxidized badly. I tried every polish and renew product available and got lousy results. Finally, I went to a Corvette shop and asked them what they do. They recommended a product called Penetrol. A quart can is about $10 and you can get it at any paint store or Home Depot or Lowes. It is a plasticizer and it is amazing. Clean off any wax that is on the surface. Do a wax on wax off with a rag. Do small areas because you only want the stuff to stay on for a minute or two. Use a clean rag to wipe it off. Wait 24 hours and apply a new coat of wax and it will look brand new or better.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Rynosback - did you use the cloth directly on the oxidized gelcoat. And then did you use a wax or polish afterwards. Please expand on your process. Thank you!
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 32R
THOR #17209
Any clean rag or towel is okay. You just want to get any excess off before it dries. A rub out with rubbing compound may help but I have never needed it.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #16

Model: 34J
THOR #13131
Talking gel coat restoration

I have tried several different types and brands of wax and compounds. What I found works for me is meguires products. I can't put my hands on the bottles just yet. They recommend marine wax for motorhomes with gel coats. It's the only one with UV inhibitors, I was told. I park my Hurricane 35 in the sun, no cover and one side gets the afternoon sun. Look them up on the web and call them.
I am interested in trying the F11 and one other product that was mentioned in the thread. It usually takes me a week of compounding and waxing as I only wax 1 time a year.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #17

Model: Thor freedom elite 30fe
State: Arizona
THOR #14244
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Has anybody happened upon a gelcoat restoration product they'd be willing to stake their reputation on?
Prism polish
Old 12-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #18

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon Milt View Post
I have tried several different types and brands of wax and compounds. What I found works for me is meguires products. I can't put my hands on the bottles just yet. They recommend marine wax for motorhomes with gel coats. It's the only one with UV inhibitors, I was told. I park my Hurricane 35 in the sun, no cover and one side gets the afternoon sun. Look them up on the web and call them.
I am interested in trying the F11 and one other product that was mentioned in the thread. It usually takes me a week of compounding and waxing as I only wax 1 time a year.
Same here and I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is not a new topic. People have been chasing this for a while. I wanted to resurrect the topic in case something new hit the market that wasn't mentioned back then. F11 is something I'll be looking into.

I can vouch for McGuire's Cleaner wax. It did one heck of a job but not as well as I'd like for the amount of work and end result. Better than it was and I'll take it for now. The search continues...

Thanks again.

Penetrol:'Oil-Based Coating Additive...'. This would explain the brighter spots where the wax went on a little heavy in those circular movements - the emollient I mentioned. It reminds me of Thompson's Water Seal. I tread lightly into this territory. https://www.flood.com/products/paint...paint-additive