Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Gelcoat and sealant

Can anyone explain the Gelcoat sealant supposedly put on motorhomes. I understand, or think I do that gelcoat is a paint type liquid, probably thinker than paint. The sealant is just a clear liquid much like clear coat. Is this correct or do I have it all wrong?

My issue is we purchased a warranty for our paint protection and it was quite expensive. Two years later the above cab area has dulled and it appears to have patchy gelcoat shine. It was buffed out barely 6 months ago by a detailer set to our house to repair it.

Now the area looks smoother but it is splotchy. The sealant folks say nothing but buffing can be done to it because it is gelcoat and not paint. Something smells rotten here. Once buffed out shouldn't it shine like a new dime. And at that point shouldn't this "Super Protectant" be reapplied?

Can anyone set me straight on this?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1547063076
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_65f.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	15010  

Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
So I did a google search on "whatis gelcoat"?

Gelcoat or 'Gel Coat' is a material used to provide a high-quality finish on the visible surface of a fibre-reinforced composite. The most common gelcoats are thermosetting polymers based on epoxy or unsaturated polyester resin chemistry. Gelcoats are modified resins which are applied to moulds in the liquid state.

I have seen it applied to molds. The resin is usually sprayed onto the molds as the first layer, it is usually colored. After the first layer is sprayed, additional layers are added with fiberglass shreds or fiberglass mats which is then embedded. You may want to do a search on restoring the gelcoat on boats for an idea what needs to be done.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #3

THOR #6701
Thanks for the reply. Years ago I redid a tri hull boat I bought to flip. I did pretty much like you tube is suggesting for a motor home. At the time I didn’t know it was gel coat and still not sure it was but it turned out better than new.

if buffing with a light compound, rinsing and polish is what it takes then it wasn’t correctly done the first time. Do you know if there is actually a protective sealant dealers put on them or maybe it’s just spray on wax?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Nothing will fix it. Front cap needs repainting. They just use a paste wax type of product. I refused to pay for it at delivery time & dealership scratched the price off my invoice i think around $1800.00. Looked like 2 12 year olds waxed the coach. I asked them to call the "professionals" who applied the Stronger than Titanium product, that would protect the gel coat against anything to come back and finish the job. They just took it off the bill.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #5

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Nothing will fix it. Front cap needs repainting. They just use a paste wax type of product. I refused to pay for it at delivery time & dealership scratched the price off my invoice i think around $1800.00. Looked like 2 12 year olds waxed the coach. I asked them to call the "professionals" who applied the Stronger than Titanium product, that would protect the gel coat against anything to come back and finish the job. They just took it off the bill.
That confirms my worst fears. Now the fight will get started. I am sure they are not going to repaint without a fight. I will take it to small claims court if necessary.

Thanks revjeffery
Old 01-11-2019, 12:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
That confirms my worst fears. Now the fight will get started. I am sure they are not going to repaint without a fight. I will take it to small claims court if necessary.

Thanks revjeffery
I actually think they will repaint & will look Great! Mine has been "coated" also and I am keeping an eye on it. Front cap seems a little dull but not Chalky. Keep us posted this will help a lot of Rvers. Good Luck!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote