Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
generator

I have a 2016 Thor 27.1 that I recently bought. The generator cranks very slowly until it starts. It turns over one cycle at a time. I did prime it and it cranked as it should but I shouldn't have to prime it each time I crank it.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Unless you are starting it within an hour of shutting it down you DO need to prime it to start it. Otherwise it will crank for a very long time before it starts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
When you say it cranks very slowly do you mean it cranks like low battery? And yes if the engine cools. which it does quickly, it will need prime to restart.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
When you say it cranks very slowly do you mean it cranks like low battery? And yes if the engine cools. which it does quickly, it will need prime to restart.
I was told by Cummins that priming needs to be 20 to 30 seconds. That is hard for me to do, but it really does work!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I was told by Cummins that priming needs to be 20 to 30 seconds. That is hard for me to do, but it really does work!

Yep, i do a 30 second count crank it for 10 seconds and if it does not start I release the switch and do a 10 second priming again and it starts right up..
Old 01-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

THOR #17813
Generator

Thanks for all your tips I was afraid I would flood it if I primed it too much. to the person who thought it was too hard to prime all you have to do is press the start-stop switch in the stop position before you try and start it.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, typically the generator will require a good amount of priming time before it initially cranks - but, after it's been used, and certainly within a few hours while it's still warm, it should not require a long prime, if ANY priming.

Our generator is set on the AGS to be cranked automatically when the VOLTS of the house batteries fall to a certain level. Once the initial run has been completed, all further cranks seem to easily take place within a second of the AGS applying the crank.

Priming will really depend on the temperature of the generator, and the last time it was run. A warm generator will have many fewer problems when starting, and take much less time to crank.

You may also find that the difference between fuel types will add to this process as well. A diesel may require a longer prime time since the glow plugs will need to be heated since there are no 'spark plugs'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
I have a Hurricane 29M. The generator start button on the dash toggles two ways, up or down. the down side has a light. Is priming the generator pushing down and holding it for a count ? and then starting it pressing up ? When it starts and runs the light flashes fast and continues to flash as well as the generator red light in the cabinet above the door. What does this flashing light mean? The dash light in the switch used to stay solid. This has changed latley.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I used to have 2017 ACE, everytime I used the generator I had to prime it three times. Prime start, prime start, prime then it would start. I was told that was just the way the system worked. It did not seem to be anything worth fixing.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
I'm more concerned with the fact that the light when the generator starts is flashing continuously it used to be a solid light. If it's flashing continuously does that mean that there is something wrong?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I used to have 2017 ACE, everytime I used the generator I had to prime it three times. Prime start, prime start, prime then it would start. I was told that was just the way the system worked. It did not seem to be anything worth fixing.
It’s probably not how the system is supposed to work. I had the same problem on both my Vegas and Axis and I finally figured out it was the automatic choke. I bet if you take the generator door off and manually choke the generator, it will start right up. If you prime it at the generator, you probably will see that the automatic choke does not engage as it should.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #12

THOR #17813
Yes, It's like the battery is low. With the batts fully charged after a 1/2 dozen tries, I only get one crank out of a try, the batts are down to 1/2 charge. Could it be one of the batts is bad? They are 5 yrs. old.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #13

THOR #17813
Priming the generator is holding the switch in the stop position for 20-30 seconds. Light flashing doesn't sound good.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If those batteries are 5 years old they are most probably done in. The generator bringing them down a half charge in short order indicates to me they are shot. Pull them out after a charge and have them load tested. If they are the originals at 5 years old they are running on borrowed time IMHO. I usually get maybe three good seasons from my wet cell batteries and then I replace them. They are not that expensive in my opinion to fool around keeping after 3 years.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #15

THOR #17813
Thanks for the great info. That was kind of my feeling also. Going to take them and have them checked, thanks again.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
I have a Hurricane 29M. The generator start button on the dash toggles two ways, up or down. the down side has a light. Is priming the generator pushing down and holding it for a count ? and then starting it pressing up ? When it starts and runs the light flashes fast and continues to flash as well as the generator red light in the cabinet above the door. What does this flashing light mean? The dash light in the switch used to stay solid. This has changed latley.

On my 29m the light stays on continuously after the generator starts. Flashing usually means the generator has not started. Pushing down on the bottom side of the switch primes the generator. Pushing on the top half of the switch starts the generator.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #17

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
my problem is the generator won't start from just house batteries (New this year) It takes a bit of effort, but I CAN jump-start it. sometimes I have to manually turn the flywheel before I try priming and cranking it (mine runs on LP gas) Once it's running, it woks like a champ.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #18

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Ditto on your house batteries. Five years is as much as you can expect from flooded batteries. You probably need a new set.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #19

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
The Cummins rep recommended priming prior to any cold start. He also said the generator needs to run 2 hours/month under load.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Ditto on your house batteries. Five years is as much as you can expect from flooded batteries. You probably need a new set.
I agree. That said I have weak batteries too and I find it much easier to start the generator when it's cold out if I have the motorhome engine running first. That way the altert us helping keep the house battery voltage up. I will try the 30 second prime idea. But usually do 10 sec then crank. And it usually takes several tries when it's been a month since it last ran
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote