Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #21

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Push it off hard all the way then back on to reset

Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I pulled the batteries and took them to autozone and they were dead. Looks like they were the original house batteries.

Got home and put the new ones in and the generator fired right up. That’s one issue fixed! Waited about 5 minutes and walked the inside and everything is on. Went to turn on the air and nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and tried again, and nothing.

I’ve checked the breakers and those look good. Inverted is on.

Concerned now that the air will not come on when we plug up on our next trip.

I do have an electrician coming Monday so that I can hook up here at home. I guess we shall see once that’s done.
Congrats on batteries. Be patient, it is your coach so learn it piece by piece. Can I ask what type of service you intend to install at home? I highly recommend getting 50 amps with a 50/30/20 service receptacles; if you were planning on getting just a 30 amps plug, it may be all you need, but sometimes it is better to have more than you need. It will give you more options later.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
As has been said before, the A/C thermostat is powered by the propane heater. It in-turn gets power from the 12 volt section of the power center. You could have popped a fuse changing the batteries. There is another glass fuse on the furnace circuit board. Finally trip the A/C circuit breaker and reset it just to be sure it is set and not partially tripped.
Can you or someone explain this a little bit more? i..e is this a Thor thing or just common for all Mfgs? I hope I don't confuse anyone with the question.

I was aware that my electronic thermostats will not come on unless I have 12vDC power.

I have two thermostats, One is wired to the furnace to turn furnace on/off based on digital settings, but I never knew it actually got 12vDC power from the furnace? I kind of assumed the 12vDC for both thermostats came from my converter

What am I missing?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can you or someone explain this a little bit more? i..e is this a Thor thing or just common for all Mfgs? I hope I don't confuse anyone with the question.

I was aware that my electronic thermostats will not come on unless I have 12vDC power.

I have two thermostats, One is wired to the furnace to turn furnace on/off based on digital settings, but I never knew it actually got 12vDC power from the furnace? I kind of assumed the 12vDC for both thermostats came from my converter
What am I missing?
Tying the thermostat power to the propane heater is a safety issue to help prevent fire or explosion. This saves the expense of two separate thermostats and the confusion that would cause. Putting both A/C on the same thermostat requires a different (multiplex) controller which is more expensive than the single A/C controller, as it allows different zone temperatures. Thor MC usually just installs separate thermostats for each controlle rand A/C. For this has all changed when Firefly or RapidCamp came along to the lower priced coaches.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #25

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I pulled the batteries and took them to autozone and they were dead. Looks like they were the original house batteries.

Got home and put the new ones in and the generator fired right up. That’s one issue fixed! Waited about 5 minutes and walked the inside and everything is on. Went to turn on the air and nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and tried again, and nothing.

I’ve checked the breakers and those look good. Inverted is on.

Concerned now that the air will not come on when we plug up on our next trip.

I do have an electrician coming Monday so that I can hook up here at home. I guess we shall see once that’s done.
You don't just LOOK at breakers to check them. You turn them hard off then hard on. You need to use a volt meter on your 12 volt fuses. you need 12 volt control circuit for the A/C.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Tying the thermostat power to the propane heater is a safety issue to help prevent fire or explosion. This saves the expense of two separate thermostats and the confusion that would cause. Putting both A/C on the same thermostat requires a different (multiplex) controller which is more expensive than the single A/C controller, as it allows different zone temperatures. Thor MC usually just installs separate thermostats for each controlle rand A/C. For this has all changed when Firefly or RapidCamp came along to the lower priced coaches.
Trying to keep this simple. So No Firefly, No RapidCamp, and No Mutiplex Controllers involved in this conversation.

Sounds like Thor & Winnebago usually do the same by installing separate thermostats for each AC units.

So back to my question.

For the Airxcel Themostat #1
It controls the Furnace & my AC#1

It receives 12vDC from some control board. I have just learned that it may be from a control board on my furnace for safety reasons? I guess I would have to see the wiring diagram or confer with Winnebago to be 100% of how they wired?, because when I look at Airxcel documents / diagram, it does not reference or care the source of the 12vDC for thermostat with the furnace.

For the Airxcel Thermostat #2
It only controls AC#2 in the bedroom.
It receives 12vDC from some control board. It would NOT make sense to me that this unit be wired to the furnace 12vDC control board as Safety can't be a factor or in play as it will never try to turn on/or heat (furnace)? It is actually a different model Airxcel Thermostat so it can't send a signal to Furnace anyway.

So I am back to being perplexed if my Furnace & AC#1 Thermostat is supplied 12vDC from Furnace control board or the converter? My money says AC#2 is supplied from Converter control board. If so; I may actually have it both ways?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #27

State: Alabama
THOR #19891
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You don't just LOOK at breakers to check them. You turn them hard off then hard on. You need to use a volt meter on your 12 volt fuses. you need 12 volt control circuit for the A/C.

Maybe I need to change how I said that. I turned them off hard and back on several times.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #28

State: Alabama
THOR #19891
Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out that it was the breaker on the generator. Everything is working as it should now.