Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #19891
Generator/Air Conditioner

Just purchased a 2016 Chateau 31W and wanted to know if there was a sequence for starting the generator and then turning on the air conditioner? When does the inverter get turned on? Help, New to all this and looking for some directions on how to use.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Once you get the generator going: you can turn on the A/C unit at any time.
Since I never turn my inverter off: I'm not so sure about that one...
But everything ought to take care of itself automatically for you.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Just crank up the generator. It will run for 30 seconds or so before it transfers the load.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
with the generator producing 120v power, you won't 'need' the Inverter... though many of us leave it on, regardless, as it then is simply 'passing thru' that 120v power, just like when you're plugged into Shore Power.

the generator will typically run for 20-30 seconds before your ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch) switches over to it, so if you turn 'ON' the air conditioner before that, or it was already 'ON' when you crank the generator, it may not start until the ATS switches.

btw, there really is no 'sequence' to when to turn on the air conditioner, since it will obviously NOT work before you have the generator running, or are plugged into Shore Power, anyway. You can turn it 'ON' anytime, otherwise, but the Thermostat will simply show it 'ON', but nothing will happen without the generator or shore power. The Thermostat works on 12v power, so it is operational, regardless.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #5

THOR #19891
Thanks for your response!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I usually wait until after I hear the auto transfer kick on before turning on my air conditioner. It is just a habit of mine.

Paul
Old 08-07-2020, 11:20 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I usually wait until after I hear the auto transfer kick on before turning on my air conditioner. It is just a habit of mine.

Paul
Me too.
Depending on how the inverter is hooked up, if you don't wait, the inverter will kick in and your battery will try to be used to kick on the ac. Not good unless you have lots of batteries.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:00 AM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Paul
Yes
However, yesterday I moved the AC switch to auto, reduced the digital display well below ambient temp, moved the other switch to cool
It took what seemed like 5 minutes to go on.

Maybe someone can chime in...
> why does it take very long sometimes, while other times only a matter of moments for the AC to come on?
Old 08-08-2020, 04:53 AM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I don't think it can really matter because if you have AGS on, AC Thermostat on, and your coach falls below your set temperature, it will it will send a signal to start the generator. At some point when the power s supplied from generator to AC units it will come on. My view is if it is okay between Onan & Coleman for this to happen automatically safely, why would I worry about delaying to start the AC when I manually turn on generator?

Now having said the above, Ona does say it is best to turn off AC units before turning off generator. So if you wish to 100% compliance it would mean that once you did turn off the generator, you would need to ensure the AGS is off. Then later if you wanted AC, you could turn AGS back on and it automatically will start generator and turn on AC (assuming it is below set temperature).
when ready, or just manually starting genset and manually turning on AC with the delay works too.

Another factor is if you have power management system, it may try to balance the load with slight delay if you have 2 ACs that need to start?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes
However, yesterday I moved the AC switch to auto, reduced the digital display well below ambient temp, moved the other switch to cool

> why does it take very long sometimes, while other times only a matter of moments for the AC to come on?
Something to check....

My unit (Airxcel) has a 3 minute anti-short cycle for cooling to protect the compressor. So when you put switch to auto, you may have been turning on the safety feature?

I think I have experienced what you refer to, because when coach is hot and you know all is running you expect it turn on quickly and it may seem like forever if you are there watching it. I will pay closer to attention to that in future.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes

The A/C is on a time delay. If it was on and you interrupted the power supply they ten min time delay ill kick in and prevent the A/C from starting. this is a compressor protection system to prevent startup with a lot of head pressure.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

State: Louisiana
THOR #9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Just crank up the generator. It will run for 30 seconds or so before it transfers the load.
I have a 2016 château 31W as well, this is exactly right!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just purchased a 2016 Chateau 31W and wanted to know if there was a sequence for starting the generator and then turning on the air conditioner? When does the inverter get turned on? Help, New to all this and looking for some directions on how to use.
A/C won't run until the genny goes on line in your coach. I usually wait til I hear the microwave beep. Then turn on the A/C----NO WORRIES
Old 08-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #14

THOR #19891
Tried all the suggestions and still not working. All the light and microwave come on, just no air. Also, I have to start the engine before I can start the generator. Once the generator has run for a few minutes I can turn off the engine.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Tried all the suggestions and still not working. All the light and microwave come on, just no air. Also, I have to start the engine before I can start the generator. Once the generator has run for a few minutes I can turn off the engine.
You have dead house batteries. The thermostat needs 12 VDC from the house batteries, normally supplied to the thermostat through the furnace, in order to control the Air Conditioner.

Troubleshoot your DC battery and charging system.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:21 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You have dead house batteries. The thermostat needs 12 VDC from the house batteries, normally supplied to the thermostat through the furnace, in order to control the Air Conditioner.

Name:  Thats it.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  11.2 KB

I don't know how you do it, waiting my day to be stumped, I bet I have a doozy for you though... but you da man!!!!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #17

THOR #19891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Well that makes sense. Just purchased this unit a week and a half ago and the owner said it set out in the back yard for the last 6 months in the Florida sun. Also said the grandkids were in and out of it so lights were properly used off the battery.

Going to look at that today and will let y’all know what I find.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Have we decided if you have an inverter?
Mine won't come on unless the inverter is on.
It was my choice to have it wired this way.
I'm not particularly proud of that decision....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #19

THOR #19891
Generator/Air Conditioner

I pulled the batteries and took them to autozone and they were dead. Looks like they were the original house batteries.

Got home and put the new ones in and the generator fired right up. That’s one issue fixed! Waited about 5 minutes and walked the inside and everything is on. Went to turn on the air and nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and tried again, and nothing.

I’ve checked the breakers and those look good. Inverted is on.

Concerned now that the air will not come on when we plug up on our next trip.

I do have an electrician coming Monday so that I can hook up here at home. I guess we shall see once that’s done.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
I pulled the batteries and took them to autozone and they were dead. Looks like they were the original house batteries.

Got home and put the new ones in and the generator fired right up. That’s one issue fixed! Waited about 5 minutes and walked the inside and everything is on. Went to turn on the air and nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and tried again, and nothing.

I’ve checked the breakers and those look good. Inverted is on.

Concerned now that the air will not come on when we plug up on our next trip.

I do have an electrician coming Monday so that I can hook up here at home. I guess we shall see once that’s done.
As has been said before, the A/C thermostat is powered by the propane heater. It in-turn gets power from the 12 volt section of the power center. You could have popped a fuse changing the batteries. There is another glass fuse on the furnace circuit board. Finally trip the A/C circuit breaker and reset it just to be sure it is set and not partially tripped.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote