Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #9982
Generator does not continue running

I recently experienced issue with generator not starting. Today I went out to work on it. I have half tank gas and oil level fine in generator. I started vehicle engine and let it run for several minutes. The generator then started and I continued to let both generator and engine run for several minutes and then I shut off engine. Twice the generator would run for several minutes and then it stopped running and I could not get it started again. Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mandalay
State: Florida
THOR #11268
I can only guess you have an Onan genset. If so, pull the codes out of it through a series of blinks. The code will tell you the problem area.

The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicator light on the control Switch to blink in a numeric code. Following a fault shutdown, the indicator light will repeatedly blink 3 blinks or 4 blinks at a time.· Three blinks indicates a service fault. Press Stop once to cause the two-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop the blinking.) The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, or 4 blinks, a brief pause, and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example, Fault Code No. 36 appears as blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink—long pause—repeat· Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 15 to 20 seconds without the engine starting.· Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults. Avoid interpreting them as second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assigned as fault codes. Restoring Fault Code Blinking - The fault code stops blinking after five minutes. Press Stop three times within five seconds to restore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after the condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #3

THOR #9982
Hmm not sure what ur talking about. I went back to generator and it seems to only have 2 options for blinking code. Testing it again and generator continues to run while vehicle engine is running -now I shut vehicle engine off and generator has been running on its own for 10 minutes and not shut down like before....sigh any wonder I’m losing my hair[emoji15]
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #4

THOR #9982
Whoops spoke too soon/just shut down on its own
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Sounds like a problem we had with our Onan 5500. Sometimes it would run for several minutes, sometimes 1/2 hour. It died with a generic code, so no help there. I replaced the fuel filter - no bueno. Finally replaced the carburetor. All is good.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I suggest adding some sea foam to your fuel. If you can get it running long enough to pull some through the generator that may help. Also, do you have a load on it, such as AC when it shuts down?
Old 07-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
Old 07-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
generator keeps shutting down

My bet is there is a fuel flow problem. The filter is starving out the system and then it shuts down. Either that or there is a clogged vent that keeps the system from breathing as the system runs, and it can't pull enough fuel to keep the system going. These are both systems issues I have seen with other rvs. They had generacs and were installed in Winnebago /VW Eurovan chassis.
I have never had to deal with onan issues in my Thor.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

THOR #9982
Have no load on it.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
After you start your generator and it warms up, if you put no load on it, it should idle down. Once you put a load on it, it should speed up to handle that load. I would try putting load on it, such as your AC and see if it stays running. If it then dies when taking the load back off, that would indicate it is running at too high of RPM with no load. I had that happen to mine and it was caused by the throttle linkage being jammed with debris...grass, shredded paper towels and plastic bags...brought into the compartment by mice. It is worth investigating to see if something is not allowing it to idle down.

Just a thought.