Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #14395
2015 Axis Power Issues

Axis Power Issues
Purchased a Axis a month ago in Texas an drove it back to SC stopping at campgrounds and hooking up. All systems worked perfectly. Parked it at home and had it on shore power for a couple of weeks. I started the generator occasionally because it has been cold here. I tried to start it today and found the only power I have is shore power. The house batteries check full when tested on shore power. So, the generator will not turn over nor will the engine. If I tripped something I can't find it. Any ideas anyone I couldn't find any clues in the manual.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Put your use/store switch on use. Leaving it in Store while plugged in actually drains the batteries instead of charging them.

The only time you want it on store is when storing the coach while not plugged in.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Jamie is correct as it appears you batteries are dead. When you check the voltage, what you are getting is the voltage at the 12 volt fuse panel at the power center. If you are on shore power and the charger is putting out voltage that is the voltage you are seeing. To check the actual condition of the batteries, you have to turn the charger off by the circuit breaker or the master power circuit breakers or remove shore power. The latching relay near the power center controls power to and from the house batteries to the coach. With the store/use switch in the store position, the power center connection to the batteries is removed and house battery power only remains to the generator.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
While you are at it...
Check your battery water

Lack of water/dry cells is the #1 cause of house battery failure in Motorhomes that are plugged into shore power for extended periods
Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Model: Axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #14395
Smile Thanks

Thanks to all for the great information on the power issues. After making all recommended checks I jumped the chassis battery and got everything working from there.