Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #2291
Cool Generator Exhaust

I have a 2013 Thor Chateau........when the slide is open on the generator side, it sets off the carbon monoxide/smoke detector. I have read on-line that if you use an extension on the generator exhaust it "might" void your warranty. We have had the propane system checked for leaks, they cannot find one. The service folks said the sensor is fine. It is simply in my opinion that when the slide is open, the exhaust stays under the slide and sets off the alarm. What do I do. We like to dry camp and either have to leave the slide in, which does not make life in the RV fun or not run the generator. In 90+ degree heat in Alabama, no A/C is not fun either. For right now until we find a solution, we can only use the RV when there shore power available. What is the solution, please help me. Thanks. KP

Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen7008 View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Chateau........when the slide is open on the generator side, it sets off the carbon monoxide/smoke detector. I have read on-line that if you use an extension on the generator exhaust it "might" void your warranty. We have had the propane system checked for leaks, they cannot find one. The service folks said the sensor is fine. It is simply in my opinion that when the slide is open, the exhaust stays under the slide and sets off the alarm. What do I do. We like to dry camp and either have to leave the slide in, which does not make life in the RV fun or not run the generator. In 90+ degree heat in Alabama, no A/C is not fun either. For right now until we find a solution, we can only use the RV when there shore power available. What is the solution, please help me. Thanks. KP
My '13 has some nice little openings under the slides. I tried to get the wiper seal fixed under warranty, but was refused.... apparently they have a big old gaping hole in there by design.... large enough for small mammals to enter....
I so far have not had a problem with what you describe in a few uses, but it likely has to do with wind conditions, etc....

I figuring on getting a genturi one of these days, but so far have been ok without it.

As far as warranty, odds are that you don't have any warranty left anyway, but many people use these things so I wouldn't be concerned even a little personally. But that's just me.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Since the Onan exhaust systems are not "tuned exhausts" additional back pressure from a bend in an exhaust extension should not be a concern and it should not void a warranty. In fact, Onan sells accessories to include down tube extensions, for their generators. If back pressure is a concern the diameter of the pipe can be increase to reduce the effects.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:33 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Since the Onan exhaust systems are not "tuned exhausts" additional back pressure from a bend in an exhaust extension should not be a concern and it should not void a warranty. In fact, Onan sells accessories to include down tube extensions, for their generators. If back pressure is a concern the diameter of the pipe can be increase to reduce the effects.
We had the same issue with setting off the alarms, installed the Genturi..... issues solved!
Also works well if you have "tenters" next door no need to "gas them out"
Old 03-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Just don't turn your exhaust "up", I've seen this and it's not advisable. I like to be able to put a plug in the end of the pipe when we are in the desert, keeps the animals out (mice). But others I've seen extend it straight up and then you have to deal with water, if it rains, not that it will get into the gen, but it collects at the bottom of the line.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I was surprised they are required if running a generator overnight at my school's parking lot for football games (rules may require it anytime -- can't recall). My sister's 5th wheel has one, and not only does it discharge above roof elevation, it also seems to muffle some of the generator's exhaust noise. That alone may be worth it.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #3782
Karen7008 I installed a GEN-TURI exhaust kit its lightweight, easy to use and legal for tailgating. It routes the exhaust above the rig it was approx. $125 dollars at Camping World and well worth it safe and no fumes at ground level. I will try to post pics this weekend hope this helps
Old 03-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Generator Exhaust pipe

I purchased a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE. I did not notice until I got home that the generator exhaust pipe hangs low from the chassis. It measured 6.5 inches from the bottom of the pipe to the ground. I am concerned that speed bumps may bend or bake the pipe. Should I be concerned?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine is fairly low too. even has a bad reverse slope, too. Haven't had a problem with it hitting yet
Old 03-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I use a home-made Genturi on my generator. It was easy to make and cost me about $20 in parts at the local Lowes.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Gen Exhaust

I pivoted my gen exhaust to the rear corner under the rear bumper well away from the slide on my ACE.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Go to auto parts store and get an exhaust tip with a 90 degree bend at the tip, install and point away from your slide. Cheap easy fix with a lot less trouble than installing a Genturi each time you stop!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
I wonder if your carbon monoxide detector is too sensitive?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
I use a home-made Genturi on my generator. It was easy to make and cost me about $20 in parts at the local Lowes.
Did you run it up the side of your RV?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbear View Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
The Genturi I made looks similar to the Genturi you can buy. It attaches to the exhaust pipe, has a 90 degree elbow which runs the working parts up the side of the RV. It extends about a foot above the roof.

I would include a photo if I knew how to.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
KP - I have a Miramar motorhome and ALWAYS use the Gen-Turi when dry camping near other RV's. It directs some of the noise but more importantly the fumes up and away. I don't have problems with the fumes entering my RV but the neighbors appreciate me not dumping the fumes into their area. I understand the warranty concern but knowing how it connects I don't see any issues that would cause a problem with the generator. There are other things you can do to direct the fumes from under your slide, but nothing works as well for you neighbors as moving it all above your roof.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The Genturi does not add any back pressure to the generator, it is an open system with no baffling and should not void the warranty.