Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #4469
Generator not starting 2017 Vegas 24.1

We've been starting our generator periodically throughout the winter, with no issues. We live in a coastal Oregon town where it doesn't get below freezing much. This time when I tried to start it, even with priming, the Generator turns over but immediately dies. I've tried this several times now with the same results. Any idea next steps? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel? The generator will not run if your fuel is below 1/4 tank.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #4469
Thanks, the fuel level is exactly at 1/4 tank. We'll fill 'er up and see what happens. Appreciate the quick answer.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Just something else to check might be the oil level. If the oil level is low, the generator either won't start or die.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:17 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
2nd the 1/4 tank.
Suggest you fill that tank up to the top and add Seafoam. It’s not a good idea to store any vehicle without the tank being full and having a fuel preservative added. The tank not being full allows room for condensation which equates to water in the gas.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Same issue with mine. Fuel tank is full and the oil was just changed at the dealership. Shows correct level. I don't want to do anything that invalidates warranty but happy to take any suggestions regarding general troubleshooting.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:43 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
You say same issues? It will start then die? Mine will do that from time to time. I just hit the prime button a little longer and she fires up and stays running.
Since you have a full tank of fuel and the oil was recently changed, it might be overfilled. If I remember correctly the oil level needs to be a little below the full mark as this can cause a no run situation.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
On our Jayco Alante, we were having trouble keeping the generator running after about 20 min, when I changed the oil in the generator, I didn't fill to the full line, and that solved our problem of shutting down after a few minutes.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

THOR #17787
I don't see a primer button on the unit. Mine starts via the cabin switch, the touch screen, or directly via the toggle switch on it. I started it yesterday via the direct switch and after it shut down it made a loud buzzing sound for several minutes. I think I'll bring it in and let the dealership deal with it.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL787 View Post
I don't see a primer button on the unit. Mine starts via the cabin switch, the touch screen, or directly via the toggle switch on it. I started it yesterday via the direct switch and after it shut down it made a loud buzzing sound for several minutes. I think I'll bring it in and let the dealership deal with it.
To prime you hold the start/stop rocker on "Stop" until the LED lights then hold for 15-30 seconds (you should hear the fuel pump running--I can on our 24.1).

Where are you in Michigan? There is an Onan/Cummins shop on Grand River in New Hudson (just west of General RV's main office). I would take it there (especially since any RV dealer will just take it to Onan/Cummins anyway).

Back in 2014 they built a bunch of the genny's with bad fuel pumps--ours was one. I took our Axis to that shop in New Hudson and they had the fuel pump replaced within an hour.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #11

THOR #17787
Thanks for the tip on priming. I'll give it another shot. I'm in Portage, MI on the west side of the state. I have an appointment with the dealership next week so if the problem doesn't resolve I'll try Cummins.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #12
OCB

State: Georgia
THOR #18826
Question No generator

Know this post is old BUT. Will it even turn over if the fuel is low. Mine not getting power for some reason.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCB View Post
Know this post is old BUT. Will it even turn over if the fuel is low. Mine not getting power for some reason.
Low fuel does not prevent the generator from turning over and trying to start. It just won't start and run.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:13 PM   #14
OCB

State: Georgia
THOR #18826
Guess I need to start hunting the fuses
Old 08-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCB View Post
Guess I need to start hunting the fuses
Did you ever figure this out? I'm on a trip as I type this and I'm having the same "no cranking" issue. Well, technically, you said "no power" and I think I have power getting to the front of the generator. But it's not cranking at all, like there's no power.

It was working fine on our last trip (which was a three-week one). But while parked in storage for a few weeks, the batteries drained. I could have sworn I made sure the master power and the inverter were off--but both house & chassis were dead. Jumping the truck got me driving to home, and plugging into 50Amp shore power got the batteries fully charged back up. But the generator is completely non-responsive and I'm scratching my head on what to check since there is power running to the front of the thing.