Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 03:42 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
Brought the coach from storage. Checked the batteries, 12.4 VDC. I thought I will give a try and start the gen. The generator started flawlessly, but...it died after 1 minute.

Then, I put a charger directly on the house batteries. The gen would not start from interior control panel or from the power switch on generator.
With charger on house batteries you got nothing (no sound)? I assume you had option to try momentary 20 - 50 amps and still got nothing. Doesn't sound like a battery issue issue to me especially if everything else works off House Batteries like normal.

Pretty much has to be wiring and/or breaker at House batteries to Generator. If you have the time for smoking gun proof, take one of the House batteries that is fully charged and directly connect to genset and start it manually outside. You then will know for sure battery is ok, fuel is ok, and generator ok. You may be at point where electrical drawing is needed?

One other way out left field idea

Do you have a AGS by any chance? If so, any chance the configuration for genset type got changed or if the safety feature is in need to be reset? i.e. my genset will not start after so may days unless I trigger the safety feature In my case it is the ignition switch. Is it possible that wires may be short such that when engine is not running the genset thinks it is in safety mode and will not start waiting the signal to think that safety feature can be overridden? Although it is possible the outside manual start will allow you to bypass that safety feature? I have never tried to start my genset outside with safety feature is on. Just a thought, we just brainstorming

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
I was measuring the house batteries at their location, checked the Reverse Polarity fuses. They were good. So, I slowly followed your instructions and started reading your next suuggestion to follow the main power positive cable from the house battery THRU 100 DC BATTERY BREAKER, MAKING SURE THE BREAKER IS NOT... TRIPPED!!!

@@#$%% it was!!!

Next to the breaker (little yellow bar) is a red button. When the red button is pressed the breaker is tripped and yellow bar changes position to tripped! (photos attached).

When I was cleaning the batteries and building battery box, I tripped the breaker not even knowing about. It is also possible, that while driving the batteries moved a little and pushed that button in and tripped the breaker. I am going to place a little spacer there, so this will never happen again.

Now, I really would like to thank you for taking your time trying to help me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Throughout this few days I was able to learn so much more about my coach and how things work.
I would like to thank you ALL. Everyone had a good suggestions and I was really paying attention to your ideas. THANK YOU!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200720_201015.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	25047Click image for larger version

Name:	20200720_201447.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	25048
Old 07-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Im glad you figured out what was wrong. Im still learning stuff with my RV 3 years after I purchased it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So does it start with the engine running or not? If it does, than you have a problem with supply voltage from the house batteries - either they are too dead to start the generator or the 100 amp DC breaker from the house batteries to the generator is tripped.

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me - again related to lack of good 12 VDC to the generator. In this case, the fuel pump. Once you remove the engines alternator voltage from the supply to the generator the fuel pump can't keep up and starves the generator.

Definitely a possibility
Quote:
I was measuring the house batteries at their location, checked the Reverse Polarity fuses. They were good. So, I slowly followed your instructions and started reading your next suuggestion to follow the main power positive cable from the house battery THRU 100 DC BATTERY BREAKER, MAKING SURE THE BREAKER IS NOT... TRIPPED!!!

@@#$%% it was!!!

Next to the breaker (little yellow bar) is a red button. When the red button is pressed the breaker is tripped and yellow bar changes position to tripped! (photos attached).

When I was cleaning the batteries and building battery box, I tripped the breaker not even knowing about. It is also possible, that while driving the batteries moved a little and pushed that button in and tripped the breaker. I am going to place a little spacer there, so this will never happen again.

Now, I really would like to thank you for taking your time trying to help me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Throughout this few days I was able to learn so much more about my coach and how things work.
I would like to thank you ALL. Everyone had a good suggestions and I was really paying attention to your ideas. THANK YOU!!!Attachment 25047Attachment 25048

So the answer was in Post #3 (See above) and was the exact problem the last thread about the generator not starting had:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...art-22448.html

I'm glad you finally found the problem and resolved it. Now you still have to figure out why your house batteries won't charge above 12.7 VDC when on SP.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #25

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Im glad you figured out what was wrong. Im still learning stuff with my RV 3 years after I purchased it.
I am so glad too. This is my 2nd year owning the coach. That is why I religiously read this forum. This is not the first time I was able to solve problems with the help of real RV pros.
Going back to the issue of tripped battery breaker I still can't believe that this breaker is mounted in such a difficult to see and reach location. Anyway, it is over but I am pretty sure something else will come up in near future[emoji2][emoji3][emoji1]
Old 07-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #26

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad you got your battery system back on track. When we have troubles is sometimes when we all learn the most about our specific coach configuration details.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Great solution. Like you I religiously read this forum. A priceless knowledge base.
Quote:
I am so glad too. This is my 2nd year owning the coach. That is why I religiously read this forum. This is not the first time I was able to solve problems with the help of real RV pros.
Going back to the issue of tripped battery breaker I still can't believe that this breaker is mounted in such a difficult to see and reach location. Anyway, it is over but I am pretty sure something else will come up in near future[emoji2][emoji3][emoji1]
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #28

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Great news, and may I say you are the model poster for laying out an issue You were very clear about what was happening. You stayed engaged which made it all the more interesting as to what the problem may have been. I have been on a like site, but like you this site has made me fearless. There are a lot of smart Thor owners and former owners just lurking to help out.

FWIW, the root cause of your issue fall under the category of one of my favorite quotes... "no good deed goes unpunished"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #29

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Going back to the issue of tripped battery breaker I still can't believe that this breaker is mounted in such a difficult to see and reach location.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Thor. I believe the factory workers have contests to see who can come up with the most outrageous way of mounting various equipment.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #30

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Great news, and may I say you are the model poster for laying out an issue [emoji144] You were very clear about what was happening. You stayed engaged which made it all the more interesting as to what the problem may have been. I have been on a like site, but like you this site has made me fearless. There are a lot of smart Thor owners and former owners just lurking to help out.

FWIW, the root cause of your issue fall under the category of one of my favorite quotes... "no good deed goes unpunished"
Hello dkoldman,
You are too kind!!! I really appreciate that.

Thank you very much for taking time to help. When I post something on this forum I know I will be getting answers and bunch of suggestions from several people. I don't have to say it but as you already figured out, I am a rookie RVer. So, when the posts from pros like you arrive, I need to read them few times to make sure I understand them and can correctly answer them. To me, your knowledge is incredible. Maybe one day I will be able to help someone with their issues as well but as of today I still will be religiously reading this forum and listen to pros like you. Thank you again!!! I am sure we will be "talking" again[emoji16]
Old 07-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #31

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Thor. I believe the factory workers have contests to see who can come up with the most outrageous way of mounting various equipment.
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
I also wonder, if other manufacturers are so "creative"?
Another sad example of Thor's "creativity" and sloppiness in my view is the way they have attached the front storage lights to the interior wall of the storage box(driver & passenger side). I was applying Dynamat insulation in storage bins. In order to do that I had to remove the light by unscrewing 4 wood screws holding the base of the light. Then, I have noticed 4"x4" piece of plywood under the coach, near the front wheel bay. After a little investigation I have discovered that little playwood was used to hold the lamp screws in place. Unreal!
Here are few photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_135445.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	25065Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_135839.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	25066Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_135509.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	25067
Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #32

Model: Chateau 31e
State: Alabama
THOR #4513
Alternator or fuel starved

Alternator: main engine supplies enough current to keep generator spark plugs sparking even if generator is not producing any 12v energy. Solution replace generator’s alternator.

Fuel starvation: for some reason the main engine fuel pump is providing pressurized fuel to the generator even though the generator fuel pump is not functioning. Solution replace generator’s fuel pump.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #33

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Thank you all for the help. I am going to check the voltage before and after I charge the house batteries today to see if they will hold the charge. I checked the water level and both batteries are good. Thnak you again.
Are they the original batteries? If so change them. The batteries Thor includes are total junk surprised you got that many years out of them.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #34

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
I’m glad you found that breaker...I read through all your posts hoping you had. I’ve been boondocking for a while so out of touch. But this same thing happened to me. And unlike you I gave up quickly and called Thor. They were so helpful and immediately solved the problem. Ever since then when I happen upon another Axis I talk to them and show them the breaker. Yay! For our group!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #35

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
I’m glad you found that breaker...I read through all your posts hoping you had. I’ve been boondocking for a while so out of touch. But this same thing happened to me. And unlike you I gave up quickly and called Thor. They were so helpful and immediately solved the problem. Ever since then when I happen upon another Axis I talk to them and show them the breaker. Yay! For our group!

Why did breaker trip is another question?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #36

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
The only thing that I could think of with mine was that there had been a big thunderstorm while I was plugged in at my home and the surge protector kicked off the power - maybe somehow got through to the battery box breaker.??
Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
No one has asked but if you disconnected the batteries to clean them up I suspect that you've made a mistake re-wiring them OR a wire dropped down beside or behind the batteries where you can't see it so needs to be reconnected. I had that problem myself one of the wires was hanging under the floor so I didn't see or reconnect it when I first tried to rewire my new batteries. It sounds like your batteries are at lease in fair condition. If it was a fuel problem the generator wouldn't run with the engine running either. Check voltage on either side of 100 amp breaker to ground, it could be tripped or open. If voltage is over 12 volts at both sides of the breaker check it where it connects to the generator.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #38

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Sounds like your house batteries are shot.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #39

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13383
Quote:

@@#$%% it was!!!

I would like to thank you ALL. Everyone had a good suggestions and I was really paying attention to your ideas. THANK YOU!!!Attachment 25047Attachment 25048
Same exact thing happened to me right after we bought our Axis! I was just about to post when I saw you had solved it!
Old 07-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Generator only runs with engine on

Glad you found it, it's so easy to accidentally trip that breaker as it sits so close to the frame and battery. There's a lot to learn about the electrics in a motor home, you're well on your way, good job of reporting your problem and keeping us posted.

AA0RI