Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #15889
generator problem

First Post. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a 2002 Four Winds Class C. 4000 Onan Generator. I tried to start it when I was low on fuel. Now after priming it will run a few seconds. Basically until the primed gas runs out. I replaced the generator fuel filter no luck. I bought a fuel pump at the same time but am dreading the time it will take to replace it. I don't want to replace it unless I have to. I pulled the line going to the generator and pushed primer button. Fuel comes in spurts not a steady flow. When I replaced the fuel filter I noticed that no gas drained from that line. I thought it would free flow. I have 1/2 a tank of gas. I can't do much till the weekend but I will let you know how it goes. Thanks David

Old 10-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
Kind of common sense but make sure you have enough gas in your unit's gas tank for it to feed off of. I was told that the gas level cannot be lower than a certain point for the generator to function properly.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Most generators are plumbed into the fuel tank so they won't run at less than 1/4 full. That sounds like your problem. Fill up your tank and try again.

David
Old 10-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
tank must be at least 1/4 full and it helps to fill the filter before you install.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Generator fuel

Has the fuel line ever been touched? 2002 is a long time for rubber hose to survive, I bet on pin holes in the hose between the dip tube in the tank and the inlet sucking in air. I had to replace 8 year old hoses last MH just to get a steady fuel pressure after I replaced both the filter and pump. Will not typically leak as long as the dip tube has gas under it and will not cause a fuel cap loose error code either. NAPA or anybody has the hose.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #6

THOR #15889
Thanks for the replies. For now I think I will put a short hose on the inlet side before the filter and see if it will run out of a gas can. That should tell me if the fuel line is leaking air. Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel line. It does have 1/2 tank now. It was doing the same thing with a full tank.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Here's a ok thread with a similar problem, it's pretty new with no final comment from the op.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...age-23539.html

There are threads with more trouble clearing procedures, looking, looking.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #19275
If it only runs a couple of seconds it could be the regulator Onan has a safety system built in if there are issues with the input voltage to the stator the engine won't run DO NOT BY PASS THE THROTTLE OR GOVERNOR as this will burn out the stator or the generator take it to a Onan dealer DO NOT TAKE IT TO A SMALL ENGINE REPAIR PLACE
Old 10-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

THOR #15889
The motorhome has 1/2 a tank of gas currently after last trip. It was full and still doing the same thing. I really just wanted to know if gas should free flow out of the fuel line from the tank to the generator filter. i.e. to the generator.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #10

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
I had a 2004 MH with a 4000 Onan and replacing the fuel pump wasn't much more difficult than replacing the filter on that unit. I m not sure how much difference there is between the genset made in 2002 vs 2004 which may be why you are reluctant to tackle the replacement. With that said, i experienced the same sympton and the problem was eliminated with the new pump. We hope you are able to resolve your problem without too much difficulty or expense.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #11

THOR #15889
Thanks and I think you are right about the pump. I'm waiting on the weather and some ambition to change it out
Old 10-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudave View Post
Thanks for the replies. For now I think I will put a short hose on the inlet side before the filter and see if it will run out of a gas can. That should tell me if the fuel line is leaking air. Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel line. It does have 1/2 tank now. It was doing the same thing with a full tank.
Ethanol may be destroying your fuel lines and causing them to collapse when needed to use for the Generator your vehicle is old enough that ethanol may have not been considered when it was assembled. Change the lines and bitch to your congressman about ethanol in fuel. It has no advantage except the farmer that sells the corn to make the ethanol. Many foreign countries won’t buy our corn because They don’t want GMO corn or Chemicals.