Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
If there is no sign of a leak, it may be flooding on shutdown.. Try just pressing the stop button momentarily to shut down.
You didn't mention your genny model but the manual for the KY 3600 generator is here: https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs..._om_2_2018.pdf

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
If there is no sign of a leak, it may be flooding on shutdown.. Try just pressing the stop button momentarily to shut down.
You didn't mention your genny model but the manual for the KY 3600 generator is here: https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs..._om_2_2018.pdf
Yep, if you hold the switch in SHUTDOWN you may be running the fuel pump (priming) and flooding the carb.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Hi VetPartTimer,

I had our generator checked out by a generator repair shop that services Onan generators. They did not detect any gas fumes in the coach after running the generator. They suggested the following process for starting the generator: Prime the generator for 15 seconds and then crank on it for 15 seconds. This seems to consistently crank the generator. Also, when shutting the generator down, just push the button and immediately release it so that you don't "re-prime" the generator.

I have also noticed a gas smell outside when walking past the generator bay after shutting the generator down. I was not too surprised about that, but did not expect to smell the fumes in the coach.

Like you, I would like to get some answers on what is causing this issue inside the coach as it is worrisome when using the generator.

Dan
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Hi Tfryman,

I know I had been holding the "shutdown switch" too long and was afraid I was re-priming the generator. However, I no longer do that, but the gas smell in the coach still occurs after shutdown.

Dan
Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #12125
My gen is the Onan RV QG 4000.

I just click the stop button (not hold it down at all) so it should not be flooding on shutdown.

But I do think the float bowl is draining somehow as there is no reason I should have to prime it or have it crank it over so long after only being off for 30 min or so. It will fire right up without excessive cranking if it’s only been 10 min or so after last run.

My older Onan 5500 only needed to be primed if it sat for a few days or more.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
All current Onans have a computer interface to monitor all input/output functions. All your switch does is communicate your desires to the computer. The computer then directs the genset to do your bidding. When the genset is running and you select stop, the computer initiates a shut-down procedure. Until that shutdown procedure is complete the computer will not select any other commands; so, the computer does not recognize a run, start or prime command. Once the engine speed reaches zero for about 2 seconds the computer comes back on-line and is ready for another command. During the shutdown the computer removes power from the fuel pump, cuts the ignition, removes current from the stator coils, and cancels all safety protocols (low voltage, high amperage, over-speed, under-speed, ect.) It is the same computer you interrogate for the fault codes.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 AM   #27

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just a WAG here (Wild A$$ Guess).....if there are no actual gas leaks what about a choke problem (running rich on long run time). A previous poster mentioned hard starting (choke not closing correctly when engine is cold perhaps?) and when running the gen for more that 30 minutes (fully warmed up) they also had the smell of gas (rich mix - choke not fully opening perhaps?). So perhaps the choke is jammed in a partially open position. Lean starts and rich runs. Rich run would produce a gas smell but also black exhaust or at least black exhaust pipe I would expect.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #28

THOR #12125
No smell while running, runs clean and no black exhaust or residue on the tailpipe. So idk.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #29

THOR #12125
Think I finally got this taken care of.

Check your carb drain screw. Mine was weeping ever so slightly, noticed a drop of gasoline on/around the drain hole every time I checked it.

So I attached a rubber gas line to the drain point with a hose clamp and routed the gas hose down and out of a hole in the pan of the generator.

Haven’t noticed any more gas smell.

I’ll likely replace the carb drain screw next to see if that permanently stops the weeping, but for now at least any minor fuel residue is being routed outside of the gen compartment.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 AM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
The fuel smell is not an Onan specific issue. We had a Generac in our last MH with the same issue, sort of. We would get a heavy gasoline smell after running the genny for extended periods. Neither I or several service techs could find a leak anywhere. The difference with our issue is the genny only "fumed" when it was operated then shut down at higher elevations notably over 6000 ft. The odor would dissipate in a half hour or less (coincided with the genny cooling off) and as there was never any fuel to be seen we lived with it. Had that unit for 12 years and never did solve the riddle.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I don't get a gasoline smell inside my motorhome (2018 Miramar) but if I have been running the gen and it's just been shutdown, I get a slight gas smell when I walk by the gen compartment outside when hooking up utilities. It only lasts for a couple of minutes but I have noticed it several times. I just figured it was a little gas fuming from the carb when the gen is still hot. I get a similar smell in my garage when I put away my lawn tractor when it's just been turned off.
These were my thoughts exactly. Our 29M often has this slight gasoline small immediately after shutdown and only noticeable when standing next to the compartment. Only truly noticeable when I pull it into the garage and shut it down. At the campsite any breeze must carry it away. The concerning thing is any fumes getting INSIDE the coach.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote