Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Generator Shut Down

I went out today to exercise the generator, as I always do monthly if I haven't used it during the last 30 days. I always start it from the generator itself so I can check for mouse debris. I primed it...started fine...buttoned it back up and went inside. I started up both AC's to put a load on it and turned on the TV and promptly fell asleep.

About 45 minutes later the generator stopped running, which woke me up. I checked and it was flashing twice...code 2 means low oil. I went to the Generator and pulled the cover...very hot. It was very oily inside the cover. I cleaned off the oil and let it cool then removed the oil fill cap. You could see oil but registered low on the dip stick.

I added about 1/4 of a quart and restarted it. It blew some smoke from the exhaust and on the second attempt started. It ran rough for a few seconds then smoothed out. I went back inside and restarted the AC. I let it run for about 10 minutes.

I checked it before shutting off the AC and then the generator and found no more oily condition inside the compartment.

My question is this...where did the oil come from inside the generator? I could see no visible leak. Is it possible to get so hot from being low on oil that it could force oil from the seals and once the proper oil is installed and it runs cooler, the problem is resolved?

It is 5 years old with approximately 400 hours and properly maintained. It has always required me to add oil between oil changes but I figured that was normal.

It seems to be fine now. Should I take it in to be checked over or do you think this is a normal response for being ran low on oil. Thoughts.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Since I received no response to my issue, I did some additional research. It seems the last time my coach was serviced they changed the oil filter on the generator, but not the air filter. Dirty air filter causes it to suck air from the crankcase...replaced air filter...problem solved.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Thanks for posting the info, one for us to remember for future reference.

Glad that you solved the problem and found it to be a simple solution. ��

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote