Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Challenger 37KT question

Is warm air ducted down into the lower compartments that have the water and sewer connections?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1183
Yes - but only if gas furnace is running. Good thing to check during PDI. May seem silly to check furnace in warm weather - but do it.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #3

THOR #7157
Thanks ctpres we have a 2017 and we winter in the Hill Country. Was just wondering if these are heated enough, there is no insulation on the walls and floor of these compartments.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Is that the Texas Hill Country? Just what I think of when thinking Hill Country. Hope you like you coach we almost got one but ended up with a Hurricane 35C. We will be wintering in CT because of work everyone says the electric little heaters work well and save energy but my worry is I'll have to run propane heater to keep bays warm..
Going to be an interesting winter.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:41 AM   #5

THOR #7157
Yes it's Texas. Had some fairly cool nights last winter. But my old rig was insulated and had hot air from the furnace ducted to it. We were good in the upper teens and low twenty
Old 08-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Is that the Texas Hill Country? Just what I think of when thinking Hill Country. Hope you like you coach we almost got one but ended up with a Hurricane 35C. We will be wintering in CT because of work everyone says the electric little heaters work well and save energy but my worry is I'll have to run propane heater to keep bays warm..
Going to be an interesting winter.
We have a 35C and stayed in Buffalo last year for a couple of weeks in December (will be doing it again this year as well, Bills season tickets) with no issues. The little electric space heaters work wonders and yes, the tanks had no problems in freezing temps. Keep in mind that the water tank is under the bed, enclosed. The black and gray tanks aren't so much of an issue. The rear black and gray tanks seem to be most likely to freeze due to their location.

If you are going to be connected, make sure you keep the water connection insulated and/or warmed... otherwise if that freezes, you may have bigger problems. We used lots of bottled water for most cooking and cleaning, and only used tank water for showers. Cold weather is also when I appreciate the 110V water heater option... saves on the LP so it can be used for the furnace.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

THOR #1183
Highly recommend wireless remote temperature monitor. Put remote in wet bay in winter and outside rest of the year.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We have a 35C and stayed in Buffalo last year for a couple of weeks in December (will be doing it again this year as well, Bills season tickets) with no issues. The little electric space heaters work wonders and yes, the tanks had no problems in freezing temps. Keep in mind that the water tank is under the bed, enclosed. The black and gray tanks aren't so much of an issue. The rear black and gray tanks seem to be most likely to freeze due to their location.

If you are going to be connected, make sure you keep the water connection insulated and/or warmed... otherwise if that freezes, you may have bigger problems. We used lots of bottled water for most cooking and cleaning, and only used tank water for showers. Cold weather is also when I appreciate the 110V water heater option... saves on the LP so it can be used for the furnace.
Would you recommend being connected? Our park has heated spigot and pipe, guess I just need the heated hose. I wouldn't mind just filling fresh water tank once a week or so since there would be no chance of freezing since everything is enclosed. One poster mentioned wet bay, the 35C does really have one right? I literally can't see a single pipe or line and water goes in the side. Only thing exposed are the drains and tanks. As it gets closer I'm getting more and more nervous.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
On my 5th wheel that i spent a winter in "mild South" i found putting in a 110 volt mechanic's drop light in the wet bay was enough to keep everything from freezing. using a regular 75w bulb not a LED.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #10

THOR #1183
We prepare for freeze with two small space heaters like this https://www.amazon.com/Soleil-Person...le+mini+heater - one for each wet bay and this thermostat https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-EH-...ords=easy+heat
Use on board water and fill as needed. Space heaters in wet bays allow us to use electric heat inside and save propane for power outages.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #11

State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Would you recommend being connected? Our park has heated spigot and pipe, guess I just need the heated hose. I wouldn't mind just filling fresh water tank once a week or so since there would be no chance of freezing since everything is enclosed. One poster mentioned wet bay, the 35C does really have one right? I literally can't see a single pipe or line and water goes in the side. Only thing exposed are the drains and tanks. As it gets closer I'm getting more and more nervous.
As far as wet bays go, our 35C only has the two dump station bays as you mentioned. I think you can be safe if using a heated water line and stay connected.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #12

THOR #7157
My original question was "is hot air ducted into the lower water, black water and gray tank and connection bays". Well it got down cool enough to test and darn it my remote sensor did not indicate that these bays are being heated. So my question is Why not?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #13

THOR #7157
Why wouldn't the Factory duct heat to these compartments?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #14

THOR #7174
Are there ducts there, in the bay? You should be able to see the duct vent in the bay. If you can see it is ducted and you don't get warm air it could be the ducting as come lose or we've had cases where it looks like it was never connected.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #15

THOR #7157
Quote:
Are there ducts there, in the bay? You should be able to see the duct vent in the bay. If you can see it is ducted and you don't get warm air it could be the ducting as come lose or we've had cases where it looks like it was never connected.

Djcarter can you tell me where the duct should be? I have not seen it, or heard it. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #16

THOR #7174
OK I'll try and get a pic when I get home. I looked at the 2017 spec sheet and it said all Challengers come with heated bays, I'm guessing looks pretty close to my Hurricane...maybe a Challenger owner can step up and double check
Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #17

THOR #7157
Quote:
OK I'll try and get a pic when I get home. I looked at the 2017 spec sheet and it said all Challengers come with heated bays, I'm guessing looks pretty close to my Hurricane...maybe a Challenger owner can step up and double check

Yep that was one of the things I was looking for in a new Rig. Living up here on North Central IL it's important.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #18

THOR #1183
See if you can lift the kitchen sink cabinet floor panel by the door. you should be able to see four ducts connected to the furnace. There should be two very short flex ducts that terminate at floor and two others - one very short run to kitchen counter vent and another that goes to bathroom vent. One of the floor connections feeds bedroom and living room floor vent and the other should feed basement bays. While you have that panel out you can improve air flow by cutting out excess flex duct. I have never seen a wet bay vent just figured they are over tanks. For a pic of sink ducts after I cut the excess see post 1270 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2290688
Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

THOR #7174
Hopefully pics come out another thing to check is if you have a pass through bay with rectangular tank that runs the width of the coach it could be on the opposite side of the valve although in theory since it is one enclosed space it should heat to the other side. Looks like I still can't get pics I'll try my PC later instead of phone
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #20

THOR #7157
Thanks DJ. I have the 2 rectangle tank that go all the way across, they sit on top of the fresh water tank. (H2O tank is L shaped, full length across and in it's bay opposite side of utilities bay). I have the steel panel off where the water connections are. I ran the furnace and I can say there is no Heat or Sound on either side. Nothing visible that would be an opening either. I am not happy!!