Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Virginia
THOR #26801
Unhappy Leveling Jack Issue

Morning everyone,

We have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37lx. We had a HYD line blow last year and since the rest of the lines were in the same condition we replaced all the lines before the first trip of the season. Before we replaced the lines everything worked great and still does except for the left rear jack will not move; however, it will extend if the lines are reversed and you select retract. Lippert suggested replacing the jack since it sounded like it was in bypass mode but still the same issue. When I break the lines loose there is fluid in the lines. I think I am going to disconnect the extend line and run that jack to be sure I have fluid being pumped to that jack. Any other ideas? Lippert is closed until Monday and we leave on a trip Thursday afternoon so I'm beginning to panic a little.

Lippert Powe-up System is installed and I have been though the manuals and troubleshooting guides.

sidekick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 02:36 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekick41 View Post
Morning everyone,

We have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37lx. We had a HYD line blow last year and since the rest of the lines were in the same condition we replaced all the lines before the first trip of the season. Before we replaced the lines everything worked great and still does except for the left rear jack will not move; however, it will extend if the lines are reversed and you select retract. Lippert suggested replacing the jack since it sounded like it was in bypass mode but still the same issue. When I break the lines loose there is fluid in the lines. I think I am going to disconnect the extend line and run that jack to be sure I have fluid being pumped to that jack. Any other ideas? Lippert is closed until Monday and we leave on a trip Thursday afternoon so I'm beginning to panic a little.

Lippert Powe-up System is installed and I have been though the manuals and troubleshooting guides.
How do you get it to retract if it extends on retract? Did you replace the lines? Or have it done at a shop? Hmmmm…..
Old 06-11-2023, 03:49 PM   #3

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Florida
THOR #18758
Quote:
Morning everyone,

Have you checked to ensure that the valves are closed? Look up the manual retraction procedures and you will see what I am talking about (that is if you haven't already done that). I had the same issue but mine was fixed with the jack replacement. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #4

THOR #26801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
How do you get it to retract if it extends on retract? Did you replace the lines? Or have it done at a shop? Hmmmm…..
In order to get it up I loosened the line and pushed it back up and I replaced the lines.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:52 PM   #5

THOR #26801
Okay did some more troubleshooting and the LR jack valve is good (took it off and bench tested it). Then I swapped the LR Valve wiring with the RR valve wiring and the LR worked as it should, so this tells me that the LR wiring is broken some where. Now to find out how to troubleshoot the wiring. Hope I don't have to get a new controller.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:51 PM   #6

THOR #26801
Okay here is the final results. I finally decided to test the jack valve solenoid and the one (LR) was operating when bench tested so I switched the wiring between the LR and RR and amazingly enough the LR worked so it was the controller box as everything works great now.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:12 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
The leveling system in my 2019 Chateau 31W was incorrectly installed at the factory; the color-coded hydraulic lines to the rear jacks were reversed. Rather than switch the hydraulic lines the RV dealer simply swapped the control wires, whose connectors just happened to be identical for all four jacks. It’s too bad that both the hydraulic lines and the electrical connections aren’t uniquely keyed to prevent this kind of screwup from happening either when the jack system is initially installed or when it is repaired, but that would negatively impact interchangeability and add (unnecessary?) manufacturing and logistical costs. You know, it’s important for the manufacturers to save a nickel here and there so the CEO gets an even bigger bonus to supplement his already outrageous salary. (Sorry—I’m getting a little bitter and jaundiced in my old dotage.)
Old 06-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoldman View Post
The leveling system in my 2019 Chateau 31W was incorrectly installed at the factory; the color-coded hydraulic lines to the rear jacks were reversed. Rather than switch the hydraulic lines the RV dealer simply swapped the control wires, whose connectors just happened to be identical for all four jacks. It’s too bad that both the hydraulic lines and the electrical connections aren’t uniquely keyed to prevent this kind of screwup from happening either when the jack system is initially installed or when it is repaired, but that would negatively impact interchangeability and add (unnecessary?) manufacturing and logistical costs. You know, it’s important for the manufacturers to save a nickel here and there so the CEO gets an even bigger bonus to supplement his already outrageous salary. (Sorry—I’m getting a little bitter and jaundiced in my old dotage.)
Your dealer is a hack. Why not fix it correctly?
Old 06-22-2023, 02:05 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Morning everyone,

Leveling jack problems are THE WORST!!!!! I had on going issues with my 2018 29m Windsport until I had the pump and controller valves replaced about a year ago. Now It works just fine. I'd have a qualified tech check the control valves mounted on the pump, power to the solenoid and isolate the jack giving you issues. These things are a royal PITAss and the fix is sometimes illusive!!! Bob
Old 06-22-2023, 11:19 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
Your dealer is a hack. Why not fix it correctly?
Yes, my dealer *is* a hack (as are most in the RV business). And unfortunately, they are the only RV dealer in my home state. I printed a color schematic for them and took and printed photos of my hydraulic lines, clearly showing how the line to the left rear jack was connected to the pump output for the right rear jack and visa versa. Their fix, while expedient and effective, was technically not the right way to fix the problem and certainly not the way I would have repaired it myself had the unit been almost brand new and covered by Thor’s one-year warranty. But, as Kenny Rogers famously sang, “You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them.” Folding was the right move in this instance.

Tags
jack, leveling, lippert levelers