Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
16ACE27 has the right idea here IMO. Sounds like you have two internal gen control switches (dash and inside panel) besides the one on the gen itself (that one fully works you say).

So you have two spliced cables with common control wires in parallel, each going to one separate internal coach gen switch (which sound like they are behaving the same way). If I recall, a year or two ago there was another poster with a similar problem that turned out to be a cable mounting staple which had actually penetrated the cable sheath and caused the problems they experienced.

So if the common cable connection and connector at the gen looks good and solid, then you might want to visually inspect the control cable (as much as you can follow it) to see if there is a staple that enters the cable somewhere.

Since the switch on the gen works fine, and all three switches are essentially wired in parallel, a short cct from a staple should affect operation on all three switches the same. If in fact it is a staple problem, then I would be looking for an open wire in the common portion of the split cable (look first between the gen connector and where the common cable splits between the two internal coach switches........so maybe a staple that went through the sheath may have nicked and almost cut a control wire at the factory.....which has now broken inside from coach use and vibration. How is that for my WAG of the day?

The other way to verify is disconnect the common cable connector at the gen end and use an ohmmeter to validate the two internal switch contact closures show up at the gen connector end.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 35c
State: Texas
THOR #16922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
There is a DC breaker near the batteries that supplies power to the generator for starting which may be tripped, but I don't know if that also supplies the power for the fuel pump priming indication (probably does). The breakers on the generator only affect the AC output.

I suspect there is either a poor connection to the remote switch or a starter solenoid issue.
There may be a breaker/ trip switch right by the generator.
I had that problem with my 2017 Thor Windsport.
It was hard to see, but mine was right at the top on the right.
Once I flipped it closed the generator started right away.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #23

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
Ya. Your probably right about that.

Breakers maybe?
I don’t think so. I believe the fuel level switch would be electrical, not mechanical. But they don’t say. Call customer service.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #10036
Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you try starting it from the switch at the generator?
That’s where I found my problem. Loose (plug connection ) to the remote start.