Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..."Using the gas fridge underway will disturb this flow process a little."...

One other difference...turbulent wind...and this is a valid consideration. Ever had the pilot blow out while underway? I have on several campers over the years...so has thousands of others. A fair amount of RV's have even burned to the ground on the side of the road because of this.
Nope, haven't had a pilot light on an RV fridge in over 20 years. And even when there were pilot lights, having them blow out did not cause fires, There were safetys in effect to turn off the gas flow in the case of no pilot flame.

The cause of RV refrigerator fires is tubing in the cooling unit cracking and flammable gas leaking from these fractures in the tubing igniting from the gas flame. No gas flame equals no igniting. Although the cracking has many causes, including faulty design and poor quality construction materials, it is mostly induced by running the fridge out of level for long periods of time.

Removing the gas flame and running on electric makes then safer as does running them within the manufacturer's leveling requirements when stationary.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #42

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I don't believe ours has a pilot light.
It has an electric igniter that sparks in place of a pilot light.
There is also a heat sensor, that if the LP does not ignite after 3 attempts, the system will shut down, then the control panel's LP light flashes an error code.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #43

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I remember reading once a MH burn on the side of the road due to the fridge. They said wind "fueled the flame"...kinda like fanning a campfire. I've also read many reports where people forget the fridge is on gas and pull up to the gas pumps...boom! I never used LP while traveling. Furnaces can cause it also. Probably what happened here:

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #44
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I remember reading once a MH burn on the side of the road due to the fridge. They said wind "fueled the flame"...kinda like fanning a campfire. I've also read many reports where people forget the fridge is on gas and pull up to the gas pumps...boom! I never used LP while traveling. Furnaces can cause it also. Probably what happened here:

1976 Motorhome: Fire started in engine area.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #45

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
THOR #7835
Thank You for all the discussion on my post about running the generator for the refrig while underway. Lots of good advice and experience.
I have decided that I will run the generator for the 1 to 3 hours needed ( my refrig is good for the 1st 5 hours ) as we do not drive more than 8 hours at a time.
I am still convinced that I do not want to bounce down the highway with the propane on or a flame in the coach that I can not monitor. I-75 and I-95 are wash boards in the outside lanes.
Thank You