Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #27480
Generator will not turn off once started

Hi all I need some help. I have a 2022 Thor Four winds 28z. In April I was testing the generator and started it for 30 minutes and it would not shut off at the panel or the switch at the generator. The only way I could turn it off was pull the spark plug wire. I call Cummins and took it in for repair. They ran it over an hour and it shut off. They did this twice. So they said nothing was wrong.

I just fired it up yesterday and ran it for over 30 minutes and went to shut it off and it would not shut off again at the panel or at the generator switch. I had to pull the spark plug again to shut it off.

While this might work and a emergency back up I would like to figure out why it won’t shut off.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Any ideas what’s wrong ?

Thank you for any help of suggestions

Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
On my coach I need to hold the genset switch in the STOP position for 7-8 seconds for the genset to shut down. Manual says to turn off a/c and major appliances, let the genset run 2 minutes to cool down then press STOP. I usually count to 10 and can hear it wind down. It works for me.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don’t know your coach or gen specifics at all, but I think the stop switch(es) apply a ground connection back to the generator control module (my name for it) located at the gen, which should drop out the run relay internally and release the fuel solenoid and stop ignition.....to turn things off. It sounds like you have an intermittent ground “stop” connection somewhere which sometimes works and sometimes does not. I would check around the gen control module to make sure all control wiring connections (like associated plugs or grounds) look clean and tight. I am not sure, but the “remote stop switch” ground may be provided by a wire from the gen control module itself. I assume the local gen stop switch would also tie into that remote switch "return wire" as a multiple and then connect into the gen control module. So if both switches can’t stop the gen on certain occasions, then the trouble might be an intermittent connection close to the gen control module itself? Purely a starting WAG.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not familiar with the actual motor that runs the generator (mine is a Kubota) but is it possible it has a fuel supply solenoid that isn't" pulling back" to shut off fuel supply? With it being a gas motor it could be something in the possible solenoid that shuts off the power supply to the ignition...or a wire in that system that has worked loose. Most people have issues with them not starting...I don't think I've seen a post here with it not shutting off.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:17 AM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #27480
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not familiar with the actual motor that runs the generator (mine is a Kubota) but is it possible it has a fuel supply solenoid that isn't" pulling back" to shut off fuel supply? With it being a gas motor it could be something in the possible solenoid that shuts off the power supply to the ignition...or a wire in that system that has worked loose. Most people have issues with them not starting...I don't think I've seen a post here with it not shutting off.
Thank you
Old 07-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
I wonder what was different at your place than at the Onan place. Temp? Humidity? Are you holding the stop buttons down until it slows to a stop? I can’t imagine why it would stop for Onan and not for you. We’re you level? This is a head scratcher!
Old 07-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I wonder what was different at your place than at the Onan place. Temp? Humidity? Are you holding the stop buttons down until it slows to a stop? I can’t imagine why it would stop for Onan and not for you. We’re you level? This is a head scratcher!
OP is savvy enough to know how to pull the spark plug wire so it suggest he knows what he is doing.

I don't understand why Onan run 1 hour and OP 30 minutes if they are just checking it to cut off? Isn't minimum run time 10 min?

Does OP have a AGS? If so does it stop at quiet time?

When at Onan, was OP there when they turned it off to see if he was doing anything different than they?

I could easily cite faulty wiring from switch inside the RV, but if button outside does not turn it off I get skeptical. I think the Gritz is on to something, but seems like Onan would have said more than it works, unless it really does work
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki guy View Post
Hi all I need some help. I have a 2022 Thor Four winds 28z. In April I was testing the generator and started it for 30 minutes and it would not shut off at the panel or the switch at the generator. The only way I could turn it off was pull the spark plug wire. I call Cummins and took it in for repair. They ran it over an hour and it shut off. They did this twice. So they said nothing was wrong.

I just fired it up yesterday and ran it for over 30 minutes and went to shut it off and it would not shut off again at the panel or at the generator switch. I had to pull the spark plug again to shut it off.

While this might work and a emergency back up I would like to figure out why it won’t shut off.

The generator, just like a lawn mower engine, stops by applying a ground to the ignition coil.

If it wouldn't stop JUST from a remote switch we could assume a poor ground connection in/to the remote wiring harness.

Not stopping from the local control switch indicates the ground is not being applied to the coil so I would look at the wiring connection at the coil - it may be corroded/intermittent.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #9

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The generator, just like a lawn mower engine, stops by applying a ground to the ignition coil.

If it wouldn't stop JUST from a remote switch we could assume a poor ground connection in/to the remote wiring harness.

Not stopping from the local control switch indicates the ground is not being applied to the coil so I would look at the wiring connection at the coil - it may be corroded/intermittent.
But he said it worked perfectly at Onan shop.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #10

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki guy View Post

You do not indicate if when you pushed the stop switch if the generator stopped and then started again after you released the switch. On a previous motorhome we owned that had AGS, if the generator was being commanded to turn on because the internal temperature of the coach was high it would persist on running until the temp was down or the time had expired and would start back up when the stop switch was released. In those days the coach was outside before we built the garage and plugged into a 50 amp outlet on the side of the house. When cutting the grass we would disconnect the shore power cable and if the AGS was enabled the generator would start on high temp in the coach. I would have to disable the AGS to get the generator to stop.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
But he said it worked perfectly at Onan shop.
Did you see the word "intermittent"?
Old 07-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #12

THOR #9511

ACE is right, it’s just like a lawn mower. And with a lawn mower a simple move to the STOP position takes a few seconds for the engine to wind down and stop. The STOP button on the genset needs to be held down for 6-7 seconds or the genset will continue to run. That’s how my coach works.

Onan/Cummings knows that…does the OP?
Old 07-28-2022, 11:09 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
ACE is right, it’s just like a lawn mower. And with a lawn mower a simple move to the STOP position takes a few seconds for the engine to wind down and stop. The STOP button on the genset needs to be held down for 6-7 seconds or the genset will continue to run. That’s how my coach works.

Onan/Cummings knows that…does the OP?
Actually....... the 4K generator just requires a push to the stop position to shut down - no need to hold it in the STOP position.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:09 PM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I hate to be a party pooper, but on my ACE, when I operate the stop switch on my 4KW Microquiet gen, it starts the shutdown immediately and I do not have to hold the button in stop position for more than a second to initiate the process. The gen runs down and stops in about 5 seconds or so. I do not have AGS, if that is making a difference to some.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:30 AM   #15

THOR #9511

Quote:
Actually....... the 4K generator just requires a push to the stop position to shut down - no need to hold it in the STOP position.

That’s not how mine has operated from day 1 - I need to press and hold the stop switch to get the genset to stop. Onan RV QG 4000 installed in a Class C. Maybe there has been an issue from the beginning.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:53 AM   #16

THOR #17765
Quote:
Did you see the word "intermittent"?
Yes I did. And no it doesn’t help! He can’t get it to stop. But the Onan people did get it to stop. Did you read that! Cmon Ace.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:28 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes I did. And no it doesn’t help! He can’t get it to stop. But the Onan people did get it to stop. Did you read that! Cmon Ace.
C'mon, what? Intermittent means sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It worked for the Onan people after driving it to them. It didn't work for the OP after returning home. Did you expect Onan to continue troubleshooting an issue they could not see/verify? If he has a corroded, intermittent connection on the coil's grounding wire this is exactly what could happen. Sometimes it makes connection, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #18

THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
That’s not how mine has operated from day 1 - I need to press and hold the stop switch to get the genset to stop. Onan RV QG 4000 installed in a Class C. Maybe there has been an issue from the beginning.

I found a diagram of the stop circuit and the genset should indeed stop with a press of the button. I went back over to my rig this morning and I definitely had to hold the stop switch down for 5-6 seconds to get the genset to stop. After probing around checking switches and ground I found the plug to the control board not fully seated. After disconnecting, cleaning the plug and socket with compressed air and seating it properly the genset stops with a single press of the stop button. All along I thought my genset was working properly only to find in this thread that it wasn’t. You learn something every day.