Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 15
THOR #14032
Genset Voltage Output

Ongoing issue with running Onan Gen., model 4KYFA26100p, not providing enough Volts to engage transfer switch, no house power. Recently had RV into Cummins and they replaced control board with p/n 327-1413. Worked for a couple of weeks but now issue has returned.
How can I check generator voltage with multimeter? Regulator is part of the control board.
__________________

__________________
Rich9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,672
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9592 View Post
Ongoing issue with running Onan Gen., model 4KYFA26100p, not providing enough Volts to engage transfer switch, no house power. Recently had RV into Cummins and they replaced control board with p/n 327-1413. Worked for a couple of weeks but now issue has returned.
How can I check generator voltage with multimeter? Regulator is part of the control board.
The easiest way is to pull the top of the transfer switch, set the volt meter to 120 to 240 volts AC, put the voltmeter probes into the electric cable lugs coming from the generator and then start the generator. Please be careful as 120 volts is enough to injure you badly. I would you tape the voltmeter leads to the terminals if you cannot wedge them in-place.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,921
THOR #6826
You seem to be pursuing the solution to a specific problem. Good luck. I often suggest to my fellow campers the purchase of a Hughes voltmeter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195J4T2Q...osi&th=1&psc=1

I keep mine plugged into the bathroom outlet all the time. It tells me the interesting real time story of my shore power voltage as well as my generator. It also happens to be a perfectly dandy night lite. Well worth itís $16 cost.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 652
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The easiest way is to pull the top of the transfer switch, set the volt meter to 120 to 240 volts AC, put the voltmeter probes into the electric cable lugs coming from the generator and then start the generator. Please be careful as 120 volts is enough to injure you badly. I would you tape the voltmeter leads to the terminals if you cannot wedge them in-place.
Unplug shore power first. Start the gen. No wedging. No tapeing. Set the meter to 200 volt AC scale. Hold a probe in each hand. Put one probe on the neutral (White wire) and leave it there. Move the other probe from one post to the other coming from the gen. Be sure breakers on the gen are on.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 15
THOR #14032
Pulled top to transfer switch and taped meter probes to generator terminals. Surprisingly low volt reading, wonder if Iíve done something wrong. Is there way to test voltage using meter probes on Gen. control board?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	23014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	23015  

__________________
Rich9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:48 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 15
THOR #14032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Unplug shore power first. Start the gen. No wedging. No tapeing. Set the meter to 200 volt AC scale. Hold a probe in each hand. Put one probe on the neutral (White wire) and leave it there. Move the other probe from one post to the other coming from the gen. Be sure breakers on the gen are on.
You reference "breakers" plural. I'm aware of only the Line Circuit Breaker to right side of control switch. Are there others?
__________________
Rich9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 652
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9592 View Post
You reference "breakers" plural. I'm aware of only the Line Circuit Breaker to right side of control switch. Are there others?
some gens have 1 breaker. Some gens have 2.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 652
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9592 View Post
You reference "breakers" plural. I'm aware of only the Line Circuit Breaker to right side of control switch. Are there others?
Can not see where you are measuring from. Too many obstacles. Tape blocking things. What is the loose white neutral wire? Can you take a clearer picture showing all wire connections? Remove the tape and use the probes as I described above.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
Posts: 15
THOR #14032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Can not see where you are measuring from. Too many obstacles. Tape blocking things. What is the loose white neutral wire? Can you take a clearer picture showing all wire connections? Remove the tape and use the probes as I described above.
Loose wire/s are jumpers from ATS to Gen wires, I removed wire nuts and jumpers then taped meter probes to incoming Gen hot/neutral wires. I'll need to work up more courage before holding meter probes to Gen wires.
__________________
Rich9592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #10
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 3,798
THOR #7035
There's your problem!

__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:15 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
Posts: 9
THOR #17950
I want to start a new post with a different electrical question but don't know how. Who can help me?
__________________
richardehrhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:23 AM   #12
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,928
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardehrhart View Post
I want to start a new post with a different electrical question but don't know how. Who can help me?
First go into the area of the forum where the question would be appropriate, for example Maintenance and Repair, or Class C or another area. When you get into that area click on "New Thread" and then submit your new question.

I will suggest that you conduct a search of the forum beforehand to see if the question has already been asked and answered.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
Posts: 20
THOR #1241
circuit breaker on genset panel.

Check the circuit breaker on the generator control panel. It's easy to knock off with your hands. You need to reach around the side of the flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	23079  
__________________
RVGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 652
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9592 View Post
Loose wire/s are jumpers from ATS to Gen wires, I removed wire nuts and jumpers then taped meter probes to incoming Gen hot/neutral wires. I'll need to work up more courage before holding meter probes to Gen wires.
If you must use tape on volt meter leads. please stay away from electricity. I will no longer take part in this discussion.
__________________

__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×