Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #18397
hmmm... we have a Schwintek system in our RV... it works great!! never had any problems with it.... and we full time RV... its our home... we drove 10500 miles this year alone.... so i am wondering if this is a vocal few that have issues and the silent majority has no issues and dont even read the post??? now mind you i almost didnt reply cause i dont want to offend, i am curious......

Old 12-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civrot View Post
hmmm... we have a Schwintek system in our RV... it works great!! never had any problems with it.... and we full time RV... its our home... we drove 10500 miles this year alone.... so i am wondering if this is a vocal few that have issues and the silent majority has no issues and dont even read the post??? now mind you i almost didnt reply cause i dont want to offend, i am curious......
It’s mainly the folks with the big, heavy, full wall slide.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #23
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Ours failed at 16k miles and eight years old. Was rebuilt by the dealer and just failed again at 19k miles. Our independent repair shop will rebuild the entire thing including the rollers with heaver duty ones. He says he does over a hundred a year. He had one in the shop when I dropped mine off. It does not matter who built your rig. Just the size and weight. So depending on just how much your open and close it, will determine just how long yours will last. It appears with large slides, it is not if it will fail, but when. About 4K plus job to do it correctly here in San Jose CA. 2013 Palazzo 33.2 so we have a big heavy slide.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #24

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Ours failed at 16k miles and eight years old. Was rebuilt by the dealer and just failed again at 19k miles. Our independent repair shop will rebuild the entire thing including the rollers with heaver duty ones. He says he does over a hundred a year. He had one in the shop when I dropped mine off. It does not matter who built your rig. Just the size and weight. So depending on just how much your open and close it, will determine just how long yours will last. It appears with large slides, it is not if it will fail, but when. About 4K plus job to do it correctly here in San Jose CA. 2013 Palazzo 33.2 so we have a big heavy slide.
There are also contributing factors that will fall under the category of "operator error". The more it's used the sooner it will fail. Frequent partial extension/retraction. Extra weight in the slide be it people, heavy pets sitting in it, or heavy things stored in a compartment in the slide. Not making sure to hold the extend/retract button for a few seconds after the slide has quit moving and sound stopped. Improper lubrication. I.E. axle grease not needed. Extending/retracting the slide/s when not level and stable, jacks down.

I'm sure others can add contributing factors but it's important to remember it's a weak and finicky system that really shouldn't be on a slide larger than about 10' with NO heavy appliances etc. AND used very carefully.

So why is it used? Because it's probably the cheapest system available and most are likely to fail after the warranty has expired.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #25
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
There are also contributing factors that will fall under the category of "operator error". The more it's used the sooner it will fail. Frequent partial extension/retraction. Extra weight in the slide be it people, heavy pets sitting in it, or heavy things stored in a compartment in the slide. Not making sure to hold the extend/retract button for a few seconds after the slide has quit moving and sound stopped. Improper lubrication. I.E. axle grease not needed. Extending/retracting the slide/s when not level and stable, jacks down.

I'm sure others can add contributing factors but it's important to remember it's a weak and finicky system that really shouldn't be on a slide larger than about 10' with NO heavy appliances etc. AND used very carefully.

So why is it used? Because it's probably the cheapest system available and most are likely to fail after the warranty has expired.
Look the heavy slides have a wardrobe, washer and dryer, pantry, in home fridge, stove, microwave, kitchen drawers with the usual stuff, above cabinets, sink, and dinette with large storage area for the kitchen. So are you suggesting that I remove the pantry items, washer and dryer, fridge, all the kitchen items, clear the cabinets, and all the stuff under the dinette storage area before I move the slide each time? I know how to work the slide. You hold the switch for eight seconds to reset the stop in the controller.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 27R
State: South Carolina
THOR #24783
Quote:
hmmm... we have a Schwintek system in our RV... it works great!! never had any problems with it.... .... so i am wondering if this is a vocal few that have issues and the silent majority has no issues and dont even read the post?
I've kept this to myself, but since you asked. The full wall slide on our Chateau 27R was working fine, then one morning it made a loud cracking sound from front of slide when attempting to open. Was able to get it closed, made an appointment with the dealer, got it in just under the warranty window. We'd had the coach just shy of 12 months. Parts were ordered early October and we are still waiting.

Talking with another couple while waiting at the dealers service desk, they were in for Schwintek slide issues as well. Their unit was barely two years old. I have a feeling there's more Schwintek problems then we see on these forums.

I've scheduled a Vroom install for next October.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #27

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Look the heavy slides have a wardrobe, washer and dryer, pantry, in home fridge, stove, microwave, kitchen drawers with the usual stuff, above cabinets, sink, and dinette with large storage area for the kitchen. So are you suggesting that I remove the pantry items, washer and dryer, fridge, all the kitchen items, clear the cabinets, and all the stuff under the dinette storage area before I move the slide each time? I know how to work the slide. You hold the switch for eight seconds to reset the stop in the controller.
No I never suggested that at all but if someone had asked my opinion before they bought such a slide in an RV, I would have said DON'T. Since you bought it, you own it and not much you can do except wait for the failure. The operator error comment also dealt with being level and stable, keeping people and excess weight out of the slide during slide movement, and proper lubrication. If you are a snowbird type who travels 2 or 3 times a year, then you won't have the iterations with the slide as opposed to someone who travels a lot on a trip.

I've never heard 8 seconds holding the switch, 3-5 is what I've heard.

When I got rid of the omni it wasn't slide failure that prompted me but the potential was a contributing factor. When I got the Valencia the fact the main slide doesn't have the heavy stuff was a contributing factor. Well that and it's a far superior coach in every way.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote