Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
Getting new Schwintek Slide out

After weeks of troubleshooting and with tons of help from this forum I reached the decision to take the RV in for full diagnostics.

Since I bought this 2016 Windsport 34F 6 months ago I had gremlins in the system. Would start to extend slide out then one or the other motors would error out. Only way to extend and retract was using override function on controller. Replaced both motors and improved their securing twice. Would get a few weeks of function then back to the same issue. Resecurred the motors a third time and replaced wiring harnesses and took a 3 thousand mile trip with no problem until 3 days from home. Then the same thing.

Took it it Camping World (I know. But that’s all I have locally) and they said that both mechanisms are completely worn out. Bent mounts and broken worm gears.

They worked with my extended warranty insurer and was told they will cover the repairs minus my 200 deductible, the cost of parts shipping, and tax. About 4K total bill of which I will pay about 600. Parts are ordered. I don’t have a list what parts but was thinking of asking for one.

Insurer will only cover installation of OEM Schwintek system.

Any advice out there as to what I should be looking for in their repair?

Old 11-26-2022, 10:50 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
It is sad that the insurer will only cover replacement with another Schwintek system. Your tale sounds exactly like Judge's experience on this forum and he solved it with a replacement Vroom system that cost less than $4,000 as I recall.

Do an advances search with Judge as the thread starter and you will find lots to read about.

David
Old 11-26-2022, 10:58 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Wisconsin
THOR #26629
Yeah. That’s where I started. judge has been a great help in this process. I was torn to just pony up the money and drive 1500 mile to get the vroom system installed but then I would be out close to 8 k with expenses. The price of the vroom is up to about 5k now and they have a long wait list.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:30 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Assuming you have a full wall slide, I think I would just bite the bullet and install the Vroom system. The Schwintek system will fail again and again....

FWIW there is a Vroom installer in Connecticut- Connecticut Motorcoach and Cars that might be a little closer.

David
Old 11-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If you’re planning to keep the coach, use it, and enjoy it, go Vroom. If you go Schwintek sell it quickly.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Getting new Schwintek Slide out

The above recommendations are sound.... if you plan to keep the coach for more than a season or two, spend the money out of pocket and have the Vroom Slide System installed. The Schwintek mechanism is only good for small and lightweight slides.

Someone just had their Magnitude done at Vroom and they also had the lousy floor rollers that collapse under the heavy, full-wall slides replaced and all of it was only $3500.

I get that you have an extended warranty and only have to pay $600 out of the $4000 but you have to ask yourself a couple of questions...

1. When you go out on the road do you want your slide to work reliably each and every time? Not having to worry and deal a slide that won't retract or won't extend in a remote area?

2. If you are keeping the coach more than a season or two and use it often, are you prepared to have it repaired again?

Most Schwintek failures are with the mechanical components. The controller is fairly reliable and so are the motors to an extent. The motor mounting in the Schwintek system is a joke with the single setscrew trying to hold it down with the large amount of torque from a full-wall / heavy slide. Also the nylon V-rollers under the tracks are a point of weakness as well.

Putting any money in repairing a Schwintek mechanism is throwing good money after bad...... that is both my opinion and my experience. Having the Vroom Slide System installed was the best money / upgrade I could have done for my coach.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Adding to what judge said, next time don't get a full wall slide and don't buy an RV that has the heavy components in the slide such as the fridge, kitchen components, etc. Avoid slides with water, drain lines, and gas lines. Smaller slides with electric only.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Adding to what judge said, next time don't get a full wall slide and don't buy an RV that has the heavy components in the slide such as the fridge, kitchen components, etc. Avoid slides with water, drain lines, and gas lines. Smaller slides with electric only.

We’ll, and if you’re going to buy a different coach you certainly can shop brands that use an entirely different operating system. Newmar, for example, has a proprietary system they have used successfully for decades. Even on full wall slides.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We’ll, and if you’re going to buy a different coach you certainly can shop brands that use an entirely different operating system. Newmar, for example, has a proprietary system they have used successfully for decades. Even on full wall slides.
Agreed..... a heavy full wall slide should have a hydraulic system at the very least. Leveling systems are hydraulic for that reason. While they aren't perfect they more reliable than an electromechanical system trying to move heavy loads.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My beef with a FWS is only partly the slide mechanism, mainly it's the weakness to the house framing and structure when you make that big of an unsupported hole in the side. In the hole you have no vertical studs, no side supports and no real support for the header. If you look at a house and say a garage door you will have either layered 2x12 header or an engineered beam and that's in a stationary structure. An RV that shakes, rattles, rolls and twists has very little header for the opening. Yes a FWS really opens up the floor space but to me it's just too weak a structure for a mobile RV. Some manufacturers do better and some chassis are stiffer but all the chassis will twist and a twisting chassis is a twisting house.

My Itasca Horizon DP on a FL customs XC chassis was a 4 slide RV. HWH hydraulic slide mechanism all the way around and very reliable.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #11

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Attachment 40248
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
My beef with a FWS is only partly the slide mechanism, mainly it's the weakness to the house framing and structure when you make that big of an unsupported hole in the side. In the hole you have no vertical studs, no side supports and no real support for the header. If you look at a house and say a garage door you will have either layered 2x12 header or an engineered beam and that's in a stationary structure. An RV that shakes, rattles, rolls and twists has very little header for the opening. Yes a FWS really opens up the floor space but to me it's just too weak a structure for a mobile RV. Some manufacturers do better and some chassis are stiffer but all the chassis will twist and a twisting chassis is a twisting house.

My Itasca Horizon DP on a FL customs XC chassis was a 4 slide RV. HWH hydraulic slide mechanism all the way around and very reliable.
I am fine with the structure of my 2015 ACE 29.3 with the full wall slide....(sides, and roof aluminum, floor steel)see attached structure for the 5"beam running front to back.... they are also upping the thickness per the need .....
I purchased the Thor because ...
Newmar and tiffin were still using wood in there's.
Winnebago has no roof structure in there's.
my issue was not structural it was slide system.
vroom has worked flawless so far....
Old 12-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #12

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
I don't think that your problem is mechanism. Worn our gears and bent items indicates that the slide is not sliding, but binding. This might be difficult to troubleshoot but I think if you don't find causes, the problem will start again. Is the slide square? Isn't it wider inside than outside wall dimensions. Don't laugh, everything is possible on Thor products. Is the mechanism the original design or was it replaced several times before? It could be also underated type for given application
Old 12-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #13
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Replace with Vroom

In the past I have been successful talking to insurance company about replacing a poor product with a better, by showing them there was a cost savings for the company. It took moving up the line from my first contact at the insurance company. However it was worth the effort.
If you can show the company there will be ongoing costs with the existing system, and you are willing to share the initial cost with them you should be successful.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannadem View Post
I don't think that your problem is mechanism. Worn our gears and bent items indicates that the slide is not sliding, but binding. This might be difficult to troubleshoot but I think if you don't find causes, the problem will start again. Is the slide square? Isn't it wider inside than outside wall dimensions. Don't laugh, everything is possible on Thor products. Is the mechanism the original design or was it replaced several times before? It could be also underated type for given application

While some of what you say is correct... and some of the floor rollers Thor uses collapse from the size and weight of the slide and cause issues..... the Schwintek mechanism is a terrible design for a heavy, full-wall slide. Even with rollers adjusted and working properly and everything in properly alignment, there is an 80% chance it will still fail because of the amount of torque involved to move these large slides.

That is why higher-end RV manufacturers don't use the Schwintek mechanism for large slides. Thor uses it because it is inexpensive ant not the best solution for a large, heavy slide.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:09 PM   #15

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
There is a lot of good advice here but this is a 2016 that’s about five years old and who knows for sure how long a replacement will last. Unless you intend to use it often or keep this one for long term I would think long and hard about my choices.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:27 PM   #16
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
While some of what you say is correct... and some of the floor rollers Thor uses collapse from the size and weight of the slide and cause issues..... the Schwintek mechanism is a terrible design for a heavy, full-wall slide. Even with rollers adjusted and working properly and everything in properly alignment, there is an 80% chance it will still fail because of the amount of torque involved to move these large slides.

That is why higher-end RV manufaurers don't use the Schwintek mechanism for large slides. Thor uses it because it is inexpensive ant not the best solution for a large, heavy slide.
That being said and the Vroom system is best, my rig is getting a new Schwintek system and new heavy duty rollers, not OEM, in two days. This is because my wife cannot travel more than four hours from home. She almost died three times four months ago. So maybe in the future, but at least we can still use the RV for now. You can only do what you can do. With install wait times far out it appears that it is best to set up the appointment for the Vroom fix on a well planed trip with the install date deciding when you take your trip.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDoc View Post
After weeks of troubleshooting and with tons of help from this forum I reached the decision to take the RV in for full diagnostics.

Since I bought this 2016 Windsport 34F 6 months ago I had gremlins in the system. Would start to extend slide out then one or the other motors would error out. Only way to extend and retract was using override function on controller. Replaced both motors and improved their securing twice. Would get a few weeks of function then back to the same issue. Resecurred the motors a third time and replaced wiring harnesses and took a 3 thousand mile trip with no problem until 3 days from home. Then the same thing.

Took it it Camping World (I know. But that’s all I have locally) and they said that both mechanisms are completely worn out. Bent mounts and broken worm gears.

They worked with my extended warranty insurer and was told they will cover the repairs minus my 200 deductible, the cost of parts shipping, and tax. About 4K total bill of which I will pay about 600. Parts are ordered. I don’t have a list what parts but was thinking of asking for one.

I had problems from the GET-GO with my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m full slide out. It was a nightmare. It finally broke and the reason was that POS little wheel at the bottom of the lower slide gear track. It broke at the hub which put the slide box at the wrong angle which in turn caused the front motor to shear and that is bad. They should be replacing the entire system, front and back gear tracks top and bottom, new motors and those crappy V-wheels. They MUST adjust the slide box also. If it is not adjusted to factory specs it will happen again and usually when your on the road, then your stuck!!! If they only want to replace the front or rear only, take it to another service center that knows what there doing. GOOD LUCK and enjoy the RIDE!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2022, 10:19 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:

Maybe ask the insurer to pay the Schwintek amount towards a Vroom system. You pay the difference.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #19

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Maybe ask the insurer to pay the Schwintek amount towards a Vroom system. You pay the difference.
I had a similar thought and if you perhaps you offer to waive any future clams about the slide mechanism for the duration of the contract. Gonna take a huge leap of faith on your and the insurer part. But if you can send them some documents and details off the weakness of the factory installed mechanism on a large and very heavy slide, they may agree. Especially if you can find examples off a repair that failed again. Fixing or reinstalling the same slide mechanism using thor factory installation methods is yet another example of insanity. If however you plan to upgrade to a better RV, i.e. different manufacturer, then take the cheap way out and move on. Good luck with the repair or course of action you take.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-05-2022, 01:10 AM   #20

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:

Best advice I could give is to see if they could put a bearing in the bearing block. Otherwise you will be in this same situation again.