Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #26687
GFCI Breaker

I can't get my GFCI to reset, do I just need to replace it or is there trick I'm missing?

Old 04-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings and Welcome

Careful, it may be fulfilling is reason for being
If it controls other outlets they will be dead, if there is anything plugged into them unplug and retest the gfi

Keep us updated
Old 04-29-2022, 06:07 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeflos View Post
I can't get my GFI to reset, do I just need to replace it or is there trick I'm missing?
Do you have the power on and it won't reset or are you trying with the power off?

As noted check downstream for the other outlets
Old 04-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #13074
Quote:
I can't get my GFI to reset, do I just need to replace it or is there trick I'm missing?

I had an issue with my gfi not resetting in my Thor axis last week. I replaced the gfi receptacle and I’d is working fine. (That is the first time I’ve had a gfi fail) about $22 for a new one.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:56 AM   #5

State: Utah
THOR #26687
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Do you have the power on and it won't reset or are you trying with the power off?

As noted check downstream for the other outlets
Replaced the GFI outlet and checked the fuses-tried to reset with power on and off-nothing. I've hit test and reset on other GFI outlets in my home and when you hear the click, it's set. Maybe time for a pro unless someone has an idea.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:00 AM   #6

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Are you plugged into shore power? If so disconnect and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Replaced the GFI outlet and checked the fuses-tried to reset with power on and off-nothing. I've hit test and reset on other GFI outlets in my home and when you hear the click, it's set. Maybe time for a pro unless someone has an idea.
You can go with a Pro or simply follow what you have been told in post #2 & #3.

You are doing everything but accepting the FACT that it may actually be doing what it is suppose to do. Since you replaced with a new GFCI you have PROVEN that both work meaning you have a Ground Fault on that Circuit. Think of this way, it may have saved yours or someone life.

You probably don't know every thing wired to that ground fault circuit unless you have wiring diagram. You need to unplug everything on that circuit. Moisture or water can also cause it to trip.

One other thing to prove to yourself, you say you tested with power on or off, that is not the same as the request to unplug the shore power.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:40 AM   #8

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
How many wires are on the GFI, 3 or more?
Be CAREFUL 120v usually wont kill you but it could make you hurt yourself...OouCch
Old 04-30-2022, 02:00 AM   #9

State: Arizona
THOR #13074
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhuebner View Post
I had an issue with my gfi not resetting in my Thor axis last week. I replaced the gfi receptacle and I’d is working fine. (That is the first time I’ve had a gfi fail) about $22 for a new one.

With the power on it would not reset. With the breaker off, it would reset but trip as soon as I put the breaker on.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #9981
I have had a similar problem a few times on my 2017 34J. Disconnect power to your rig and open up the gfi, disconnect the black/white wires on the output side of the GFI. Plug your rig back into power and see if GFI will reset if it does then GFI is good and problem is further in on the outlets protected by the GFI. Look up the wiring diagram for your rig and see what circuits are on the GFI circuit. Then it’s a process of elimination. One time I found under the kitchen drawers a junction box which had burnt wires, last week it was the outside outlet, full of water. The GFI is only doing what it was designed to do, you need to troubleshoot to find the problem. REMEMBER when your plugged into shore power your circuitry is live, to some people touching live circuits is just a tickle other it will put you on your butt. Safety first check if circuits are live before touching or unplug shore power.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #11
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
How many wires are on the GFI, 3 or more?
Be CAREFUL 120v usually wont kill you but it could make you hurt yourself...OouCch
120V can and will kill you. As little as 36V can kill you. You are relying on a high enough impedance to ground not to kill you or the current path does not go through your heart to stop it..
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
120V can and will kill you. As little as 36V can kill you. You are relying on a high enough impedance to ground not to kill you or the current path does not go through your heart to stop it..
Yup, it is kind of like replacing that annoying "Bridge Out Ahead" sign and keep on trucking.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:12 AM   #13

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #28437
gfi

looking to see where the reset is for the gfi reset button is on my 2017 thor miramar 35.2
Old 11-15-2022, 02:01 AM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
The GFCI outlet has a reset button on the face of the outlet. If that does not reset, you will have to go to your breaker box inside the coach and turn off the power to the outlet in order to replace it since it sounds like it may be defective. It runs on 120 volts current from a breaker inside the fuse/breaker box.

Paul
Old 11-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #15

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #28437
Gfci question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
The GFCI outlet has a reset button on the face of the outlet. If that does not reset, you will have to go to your breaker box inside the coach and turn off the power to the outlet in order to replace it since it sounds like it may be defective. It runs on 120 volts current from a breaker inside the fuse/breaker box.

Paul
Thanks for the reply. Found GFCI outlet in the bathroom controls the outlets by the sink. Reset it, no problem.