Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Virginia
THOR #6184
GFCI Locations

Today, while on shore power, the outlets down stream from the overhead kitchen outlet went out (stairwell, passenger seat). I assumed that it was the GFCI outlet at the bathroom sink, so I hit the reset / test buttons and discovered that this only controls the outlets aft of the kitchen area. I checked my schematics and it said there was another GFCI outlet under the floor area? I pulled all of the drawers, checked all external storage areas, but to no avail. I did find where the outside television hooks up under the stove.
If anyone has any insight, please fill me in.

2017 Vegas 25.4

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:10 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
This happened in our 25.3 when my wife decided to plug in her hair dryer while the electric space heater was running. In addition to the GFI, I had to reset the breaker.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #3

THOR #6184
Breakers

I hadn't thought to just reset the breakers - I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I will reset and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know if that is the fix after I give it a go tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
This happened in our 25.3 when my wife decided to plug in her hair dryer while the electric space heater was running. In addition to the GFI, I had to reset the breaker.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:22 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
GFI outlets are generally placed where ever the outlet is located within proximity of water. Typically the bathroom, kitchen and any outside outlets. You may not have a GFI problem, possibly a tripped circuit breaker/fuse, or bad connection in an outlet. Apparently the diagrams Thor provides, are not necessarily 'as built', but as designed, in some cases.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #5

THOR #6184
Problem Solved!!

A reset of the breaker solved the problem - breaker was not tripped, which was confusing to me, but nevertheless, all is working now. This forum makes things so easy - what did we do years ago before we had Internet forums! Thanks for the assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loliver19 View Post
I hadn't thought to just reset the breakers - I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I will reset and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know if that is the fix after I give it a go tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:28 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by loliver19 View Post
A reset of the breaker solved the problem - breaker was not tripped, which was confusing to me, but nevertheless, all is working now. This forum makes things so easy - what did we do years ago before we had Internet forums! Thanks for the assistance.
Great!!

You can't always tell by looking...it is always best to trip and reset the breaker just to be sure.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Axis Outside TV No Power

Any tips on troubleshooting outside TV not powering on. SEIKI
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
our 24.1 has the GFCI in the bathroom...we had to reset this one...first try did not do the job...we found that we were not depressing it completely...once done everything worked.
In addition...our Axis has a GFCI outlet on the wall just inside the exterior door.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The GFI in the bathroom in ours is a PITA. It works just fine for months, then, while stored and plugged in will trip, for no reason I can discover. Resetting it gets it going, for another cycle. GFI outlet has been changed, same behavior. Supposedly dealer found a bad ground in the kitchen outlet, fixed that, they say. Never seems to trip when anyone is around, we can be camped in it for a week or two, its fine, only when its all alone, can't prove it but probably at night.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #10

THOR #6184
Udate

I dug into the Vegas to find out what was giving me the intermittent on/off power on the outdoor outlet, outdoor tv, passenger seat ac plug and the overhead galley plug.
I tore apart the plug behind the outdoor tv (under the cooktop) and found that there were 3 sets of household wire run into a single plug with blade-type, friction wire connections and all of them were loose. I had thought that I solved my problem by re-inserting the wires into the plug (with the breakers OFF, of course). Well, to my dismay, I found that there was no electricity coming to this junction, so I started working backward in the coach to find where the feeder line for AC came from.
To make a long story short, after looking at the GFCI receptacle over the 'bathroom' sink, I found that the real source of the AC that feeds that whole side of the coach receptacles originates at the dresser AC outlet. Once again, 3 wires worked their way out of one of these crappy receptacle plugs, which was giving intermittent power (if the wires were touching) to all of the receptacles forward.
I fixed the problem for now, but need to find some better receptacles with appropriate connections that are suitable for an RV that is going to be bouncing down the road.

Any suggestions?

Retired US Army
Soon to be retired civilian
loliver19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #11

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Loose negative wire.

I just diagnosed the issue with my GFCI in the bathroom above the toilet. All of the GFCI Outlets were inoperable in the middle of the camping trip I am currently on.
Initially we blamed the coffee maker and toaster drawing too much electricity but after several attempts to reset Breakers and various other troubleshooting measures I opted to remove the GFCI and considered replacing it.
When I pulled out the GFCI everything appeared normal the test end reset seemed to be working okay but then I noticed intermittently the red trip light would keep flickering off and on. It turns out from the factory the white negative wire was not tightly screwed down and therefore it was intermittently losing connection now I have clamped it down securely and am having no further issues.

Tags
axis, gfci, gfi, outlets, vegas