Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: New York
THOR #15036
Axis 25.2 no cable tv

I've tried numerous times with three different cable hookups to get it to work. Yes turned off booster.I can get channels on air cable though.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Not enough info.
TV type,
are you at a park or at home
Has it ever worked?
Does the DVD player work

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

THOR #15036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Not enough info.
TV type,
Has it ever worked?
Does the DVD player work
Tried at work, home, and rv camp with working cable.. Never worked. Not in front of me for tv info.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
what year your rig and what is on your roof?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Are you using the sucky (Seiki) tvs? After you turn off the booster, you have to go to menu, then channels and cable. You can also change it via the source button.Then you must scan for channels. You can't skip the scan step.

Also, there is a cable splitter behind the microwave. The only access is to remove the microwave, which isn't hard but a second set of arms would help. All the connections on mine were loose, but not loose enough to affect. If yours were too loose, you wouldn't get antenna tv on your bedroom tv.

I replaced the living area tv with a smart tv a couple of years ago after experiencing a couple of parks that the sucky tvs didn't work due to having no QAM tuner. Since then, we've been in dozens of parks with cable and the remaining Seiki worked fine with all of them.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The $109 32" TCL or tlc ot whatever it is on amazon is a jewel.
It has built in firestick so I can use it with 3cho/alexa.
(this is why I asked the TV type, due to the tuner issue with some Thor tv's)

Amazon days have been postponed, but they'll be the 99 bucks I paid for mine a couple of of months from now.

I think Jamie or someone else here loves theirs too.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #7

THOR #15036
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
what year your rig and what is on your roof?
2017 using cable connection on side of mh
Old 08-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #8

THOR #15036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Not enough info.
TV type,
Has it ever worked?
Does the DVD player work
Tv's that came with mh are Axzera"s
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

THOR #15036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Are you using the sucky (Seiki) tvs? After you turn off the booster, you have to go to menu, then channels and cable. You can also change it via the source button.Then you must scan for channels. You can't skip the scan step.

Also, there is a cable splitter behind the microwave. The only access is to remove the microwave, which isn't hard but a second set of arms would help. All the connections on mine were loose, but not loose enough to affect. If yours were too loose, you wouldn't get antenna tv on your bedroom tv.

I replaced the living area tv with a smart tv a couple of years ago after experiencing a couple of parks that the sucky tvs didn't work due to having no QAM tuner. Since then, we've been in dozens of parks with cable and the remaining Seiki worked fine with all of them.
Yes I've gone thru the complete process of setting up for cable tv. Good info on cable connection behind microwave.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
As stated above.,.
Usually the problem is because the TV’s Thor installs in their low-end RVs are non-QAM tuner TVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90DFBE0C-CC67-466B-B57E-C7452EE4B20C.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	25381  
Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
I would run a cable through a window or the door directly to the main tv and go through the tv scan steps. If it works, you have isolated the problem to the coach wiring, splitters, or the amplifier device.

If the problem is in the wiring, then I would disconnect from the amplifier and run a cable from there (bypassing the amp) to the tv. That will test the cable from the outside port to the amp. If the tv works, then the problem is somewhere between the amp and the tv's. That's when chasing down that other splitter becomes necessary.

If you've tried 3 different cable sources, then I doubt that it is the QAM tuner issue, but could be if all three cable providers require a tv with QAM.

You can also take a different tv to the coach and test the wiring as outlined above.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #12

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
It’s the cheap deli TVs they don’t have a quantity tunner
I had the same issue went to Best Buy and bought new insignia TVs for $ 89 no issues any more.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #13
MLP

THOR #17478
ducksface's suggestion to get a 32" TCL or tlc, or RUKU Smart TV is spot on. It does not cost much and saves you a lot of aggravation.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:51 AM   #14

State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
not a solution, but an alternative

We don't set up long-term anywhere - lots of boondocking and 1-3 day stops. We got tired of poor reception, poor cable, and poor internet.

I have a computer program called PlayOn. It turns a computer into a DVR. We choose a selection of tv series, documentaries (that we never seem to get around to), and movies - from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. and record them on a portable hard drive.

In the RV, it is easiest with our set-up to plug the hard drive into the USB port on the front of our DVD and use that remote to play the recordings. We also spend a fair number of nights with no shore power, so we carry a 17" laptop which doubles as a TV for our digital recordings, so our binges are not interrupted no matter where we are.

This leaves us dependent on radio for news and weather... but with a smart phone and radio, we just don't watch over the air TV anyway.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminckv View Post
I would run a cable through a window or the door directly to the main tv and go through the tv scan steps. If it works, you have isolated the problem to the coach wiring, splitters, or the amplifier device.

If the problem is in the wiring, then I would disconnect from the amplifier and run a cable from there (bypassing the amp) to the tv. That will test the cable from the outside port to the amp. If the tv works, then the problem is somewhere between the amp and the tv's. That's when chasing down that other splitter becomes necessary.

If you've tried 3 different cable sources, then I doubt that it is the QAM tuner issue, but could be if all three cable providers require a tv with QAM.

You can also take a different tv to the coach and test the wiring as outlined above.

This is good advice. I too have Axxera TVs . They work fine other than there’s no pairing code for my Roku remote.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
DVD player question

The DVD player has connections (3 wires) and power for it above the sink (Vegas 25.2). How to I select it on the TV?? The TV has no 3 wire cables going into it that I can see, only coax and HDMI.
Also, once upon a time there was a Vegas owners page on Thor that ( with VIN#) allowed me to get documents for my vehicle. I can't find it anymore. I'd like the TV wiring schematic (The one in my users manual is not for my vehicle).
Thanks guys.
David
Old 08-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #17

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
The DVD player has connections (3 wires) and power for it above the sink (Vegas 25.2). How to I select it on the TV?? The TV has no 3 wire cables going into it that I can see, only coax and HDMI.
Also, once upon a time there was a Vegas owners page on Thor that ( with VIN#) allowed me to get documents for my vehicle. I can't find it anymore. I'd like the TV wiring schematic (The one in my users manual is not for my vehicle).
Thanks guys.
David
Not sure where those 3 wires are going

Best way to connect DVD player is via HDMI (not the 3 analog connections)...
> use the HDMI from DVD to TV HDMI input
> Seiki has 3 HDMI inputs, so use one of those
> then use your input select button on the remote to move curser to proper input location. Input 1, 2, or 3
> if DVD player is on, you should immediately see the DVD player screen
Old 08-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Google Thor Motor Coach Owners Login and register with your VIN.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Coax cable

I started having trouble on a trip after it had been working. A nice young man came over to our spot and brought a small tv and coax and connected it direct to the post. Worked fine. It was a bad coax! I just bought a new piece and works great again!

On mine in the cabinet over the stove is the dvd player. The amp switch is in this cabinet at the back, also there are two HDMI cables in there with one connected to the dvd player and one it turns out after tracing to go to the outside tv. Adder a coax A/B switch and now I can play it on the outside tv as well. No instructions were provided about this nor was it even mentioned during sale or at PDI