Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2020, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Nevada
THOR #13593
MH SunBurn!!!!

Howdy All,

I live in Pahrump NV just a hop and a skip to Death Valley (the hotest place on earth) and a hop skip and jump to Lost Wages, NV

My 2018 Class A Hurricane 35M is suffering from Sun Burn

I need to go with a good, long lasting, sun resistant, hear resistant, cost efficient Cover

Suggestions from those who have covers?
What are you happy with?

MH is parked on side of house, unable to build a garage or permanent cover.

Thank you,
IrnBear

Old 08-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I saw today on the news that Death Valley reached 130 degrees today: the highest temperature seen in (I think...) over a century.
I doubt that any cover could withstand that heat for any appreciable amount of time.
Is it possible to create a suitably sized "hole", that it could be driven into, and then just use multiple tarps over the top of it?
The hole needn't be 12 feet deep: six or seven feet would suffice. It would make putting multiple tarp layers over it easier. Just leave an airspace between each tarp.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:39 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Sun Burn

Just opinion here based on experience. It doesn't matter where you live when it comes to the sun EATING your RV.... A gelcoat model instead of full paint will just make it happen earlier..... If you don't cover that rig, the sun will kill it. Finding a storage facility with a cover may well be worth the monthly cost. I know.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:06 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
With the winds in that area a cover may not last the summer & with it flapping against the sides & edges probably do as much damage as the sun.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #5

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #18602
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Just opinion here based on experience. It doesn't matter where you live when it comes to the sun EATING your RV.... A gelcoat model instead of full paint will just make it happen earlier..... If you don't cover that rig, the sun will kill it. Finding a storage facility with a cover may well be worth the monthly cost. I know.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrnBear View Post
Lost Wages, NV
Lost Wages, NV? You in the wrong place; you should try Las Vegas, NV and you can become millionaire over night

Before we bought our RV I was obsessed with buying a cover. I almost bought a cover before I bought the RV. I am very glad I did not. There are always exceptions, but covers are not recommended by the Manufacturers. Maybe you can find or have made a custom one, but they can damage your gel coat. Where you are; covered storage or maybe inside storage is what you need For me, I am keeping a solid coat of good quality wax on my RV. Wax it twice a year. I do in the Fall and Spring when temperatures are cool.

Example of damage that can be done with covers besides the obvious gelcoat finish. On our boat it got so hot (In Dallas) the cover kept the heat inside and it basically baked the seat cushions. Oddly, on really hot days, I take the cover off or at least pull it back halfway.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote