Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Good ol Thor Quality Production! Smh...

I know, I know,...I recently posted a thread about loving my Thor. And I still do! But I just had to share this head scratcher. What you are looking at (the photo is upside down) is the side of the furnace in my ACE, which has a huge dent in it! It looks like the assembly workers didn’t even bother to try hooking up the duct and just left it lying there. How do you build and install cabinets around this and then let it go out the door? I happened to notice that there was no heat coming out of the vent below the dinette, and this is what I found. Any of you HVAC guys or gals out there see any issue with hooking this back up the way it is? I mean, come on Thor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B574639E-115C-47F9-8CF6-0B35DDFED73D.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	13998  

Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
maybe it just came off while you were driving(?)... just reattach it, easy.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #3

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
maybe it just came off while you were driving(?)... just reattach it, easy.
I guess the more glaring issue is the huge dent in the furnace unit. There’s no way that happened driving down the road. I suppose I’ve just been raised to take pride in my work. I couldn’t, in good faith, allow something like that to be installed with my name on it. I realize that not everyone looks at the world the way I do! It’s an easy fix, no doubt. It’s just another glimpse into the “let’s get it out the door” world of RV manufacturing.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Something similar happened on mine. The heater two of the heater houses weren’t connected and there just happened to be the grey hose for the kitchen sink in the same spot. Needless to say it melted the sink hose and had a good amount of water everywhere
Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Something similar happened on mine. The heater two of the heater houses weren’t connected and there just happened to be the grey hose for the kitchen sink in the same spot. Needless to say it melted the sink hose and had a good amount of water everywhere
Isn’t that interesting? I guess I should have known something was wrong when I noticed a tremendous amount of heat coming from underneath the kitchen cabinet when the furnace was running. Got a check every nook and cranny!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Mine was the same way on my axis. I had to put a sheet metal screw into it in order to hold in place or it would fall off in the first 100 miles.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Isn’t that interesting? I guess I should have known something was wrong when I noticed a tremendous amount of heat coming from underneath the kitchen cabinet when the furnace was running. Got a check every nook and cranny!
We have a freedom elite 30fe at first I didn’t really pay attention there was heat coming from under the kitchen area. Then all of sudden my fear were wet and sure enough the grey hose was running right where the ducks were supposed to be connected to the furnace. Always a fun fix when you are on the road
Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #8

THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Mine was the same way on my axis. I had to put a sheet metal screw into it in order to hold in place or it would fall off in the first 100 miles.
Got er fixed, but it was definitely a challenge with the dent in and around the vent for the duct. It’s amazing the use you can get out of an extraordinarily large set of channel locks!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
In my 16 Axis 25.2 I get no air out of the furnace vent in the bathroom. I'll bet the vent isn't connected. Tomorrow is a down day while we are on the road so I'll pull the vent out and see what's up.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Thats the exact vent that was disconnected on my 17 Axis.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #11

THOR #12340
Quote:
Thats the exact vent that was disconnected on my 17 Axis.
How did you fix it? Just pull the vent off? Thanks for help and suggestions to fix it!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #12

THOR #12231
They just twist back on with a half turn. But mine was very loose. You can bend the metal (Very thin) to tighten it up. I found a small sheet metal screw to hold it.

Or you can use some HVAC tape on it - but I would check in after a couple of years to see if the tape is still holding.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #13

THOR #12340
Quote:
They just twist back on with a half turn. But mine was very loose. You can bend the metal (Very thin) to tighten it up. I found a small sheet metal screw to hold it.

Or you can use some HVAC tape on it - but I would check in after a couple of years to see if the tape is still holding.
Did the vent cover just snap off to remove it? Can I do this from the bathroom side or do I have to get behind it? Thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #14

THOR #12231
Look at the picture above. It has two groove (slots) on the heater box and the vent hose has two flanges that stick out. Bend them to be tighter ( the pic above looks like its bent out too much - thats why it fell out).

Line them up with the slots and twist clock wise about a quarter or half turn (what ever feels tight to you). If still loose use some HVAC tape or one (or two) small self taping sheet metal screws.

Check all of the hoses to see if they are tight.

Also check the 12 volt wire and make sure the connection is tight (and not exposed were it can short out).

My 12v wire (that you can see inside the RV - not outside) was Okay but others have had probems. One posted here that he had a wirenut (For AC wires) that had a melt down and burned the nut and insulation around it. Mine had a male/female 12v crimp connectoin on it and it looked fine to me. I think I zip tied it in place to make sure it dont wiggle loose in the future.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by csseeker View Post
Did the vent cover just snap off to remove it? Can I do this from the bathroom side or do I have to get behind it? Thanks
Oh, sorry.... it was under my frig on my floor plan, behind the vent cover (remove 4 screws - it was right in the front). I took the bathroom vent cover off to see it was detacted (but it wasn't). I think you pop off the round plastic cover and then you can get to it? But check under the frig first. It looked just like the picture above.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #16

THOR #12340
Quote:
Oh, sorry.... it was under my frig on my floor plan, behind the vent cover (remove 4 screws - it was right in the front). I took the bathroom vent cover off to see it was detacted (but it wasn't). I think you pop off the round plastic cover and then you can get to it? But check under the frig first. It looked just like the picture above.
Mine is under the commode. We are sitting near Galveston, tx in the cold weather and wind. Delayed our departure by a day. I took the time to pull the vent cover and found the end of the duct just sitting inside not connected. It's about a 2 or 3 inch plastic type pipe that was supposed to be connected to the back of the vent with a metal hose clamp. I just reconnected it and tightened the clamp back down. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #17

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Same problem here....I had to take my unit back to Dixie RV 3 times and force them to fix it. It was cause (according to them) by the factory not using enough ducting in length. The factory just left it short and not connected. The police was almost called on me when Dixie RV kept saying that it was fixed the first time.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker3030 View Post
Same problem here....I had to take my unit back to Dixie RV 3 times and force them to fix it. It was cause (according to them) by the factory not using enough ducting in length. The factory just left it short and not connected. The police was almost called on me when Dixie RV kept saying that it was fixed the first time.
Yep, thats why I just try to fix everything myself. I brought my in one for warrantee work and they had it for 2 weeks. They didnt fix half the stuff and the rv was super dirty inside plus out when I got it back. Thats when I decided to tackle everything myself. Its just not worth the aggravation to me.