Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

State: Colorado
THOR #8684
Entry step

I have a 2017 Tuscany xte, so much wrong with it I just can't believe it.

Newest issue is entry step stopped working.

Any thoughts?

Please help.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It is not necessary to repeatedly post questions...a single post will get responses.

Unfortunately I do not have a Tuscany thus I have no advice for the issue at hand. There are some owner's with a power step around. Thus, with some patience, you'll get some hints.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

THOR #8684
Sorry didn't know, there's no guidance as to postings and different message boards.
I'm at wits end as my Thor is falling apart
Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxicans View Post
Sorry didn't know, there's no guidance as to postings and different message boards.
I'm at wits end as my Thor is falling apart
Yeah there isn't any instructions about posting, and my statement only reflects that there are quite a few readers here who would respond to any of the posts in time thus it isn't necessary for multiple posts in general.....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Stopped working...its in and won't go out or out and won't retract? I say that because of the switch that keeps the step out so it won't keep exercising and shorten the life of the motor.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
By 'stopped working' - I assume you mean it won't extend or retract at all?

From 'gasser' perspective (not sure if DP works same):
Typically the step will extend when door is opened, and retract when either door is closed - or door closed and ignition on... A switch inside the door controls the retracting behavior between the two options.

No function - I would start at the wiring under the step... see if there is 12v to the motor (if yes - suspect motor... if not - work back up the chain...)
There would be one or more fuses in play - if you didn't already request electrical drawings from Thor - would be good to do. I don't have the same model - so can't tell you where - but step function is typically tied to the chassis battery rather than the coach.

Since this is a 2017 and you indicate other issues - certainly should be covered under warranty...

As for posting - typically find the board that best fits... This board - Maintenance and Repair - certainly sounds appropriate for a non-functioning step.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are two step switches, one is a rocker switch, usually by the door that says extend/retract. The other switch is magnetic and usually at the bottom corner opposite the hinge, if the magnet comes off the door won't work properly. The magnet is usually stuck on with double sided tape. Not sure where your fuses might be but I would check those next. If the door is closed and the ignition is turned to run the step will retract, if not you don't have power. Bend down and see if you have any loose or broken wires.

Beyond those things you either have a bad control board, bad motor, or less likely a bad gear box. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
After you verify that switches are correctly positioned, and the magnetic switches in the door are working, and there are no wires loose, you are down to the motor. Those motors because of where they are positioned are very susceptible to dirt and anything kicked up off the road while driving. I have had to disassemble the step mechanism and motor, clean and lubricate everything. In my case that fixed a step that was completely non-functional.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
All good suggestions. Before all those suggested procedures, check first to make sure the ground wire is making contact. I had a ground that wasn't making contact on my last coach with power steps. That simple fix made my steps work!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 AM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
The switch on the actual door SuperD referred to is on the screen door frame. It's a tiny old fashion burglar alarm type reed switch. And as he mentioned, there is a matching little magnet that is glued to the screen door. If either of those 2 items are damaged or missing the RV can't tell if the door is open or closed.
The ignition being on will override the step (in/out) rocker switch and pull the step up when the door closes. That way you cant drive off with the step down.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #11

THOR #8684
Everyone, all very helpful information! Thank you!
Good ground, power there, wore harnesses late connected, the reed switches look good and seem to be making contact. I've located as many fuses as I can but nothing is popped or blown, but I may still be missing something.
I've had this since February 2017 and it's spent most of its time during my ownership in the shop getting fixed and repaired. It is a total pile of junk.
Met another couple in the campground yesterday and they have same model and year. Theirs is falling apart too and they've decided to sue Thor.
It seems from reading all these posts and hearing all the horror stories, it seems everyone should sue Thor.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #12

THOR #8684
Has anyone had to sue Thor or know anyone that had too? If so what was outcome?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxicans View Post
Has anyone had to sue Thor or know anyone that had too? If so what was outcome?
I've heard a lot of people threatening to sue, never heard of any outcomes from lawsuits. Maybe issues were settled out of court with a non disclosure clause.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #14

State: Nevada
THOR #9080
Entry step

2008 Chateau Citation slides not working any ideas ? Just put in a new converter but slides are the only thing still not working
Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 AM   #15

State: Virginia
THOR #5909
I may be late to the party. But I had the same issue, I have a 40BX. Turned out to be a cracked/broken power connection to the motor. I"ve never seen plastic just crack like that. In any event, I carefully removed the wires from the broken plug, used some dialectic grease and some clear 100% silicon to correct. Not a lot of extra wires to mess around with. so far so good. I have had it "stick" but opening and closing the door couple of times worked. Also you can take and tap the motor with the handle of a hammer. Sometimes the gears inside over rotate and lock. It's really not a Thor issue as it is the manufacturer of the step...kwikee-steps..guess who...lippert..not impressed with thier products

https://www.lci1.com/kwikee-steps
Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Kwikee Steps Intermittent

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on these steps. I have the same problem on my 2014 Hurricane 34E. I purchased this unit in 2015 with 3600 miles. At that time there was a recall on the steps, and the dealer replaced them. Just recently they have worked on and off. Currently not deploying. I have already checked the rocker switch, which is working and getting power. The door reed switch and corresponding screen contact are in place. Next I will have to locate the fuse and check the motor. Any additional help for what else to check is appreciated including where to look for the fuse. I have a fuse block under the bed, and one under the driver's section. There is another fuse panel under the hood. Thanks to all

Vince
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #17

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on these steps. I have the same problem on my 2014 Hurricane 34E. I purchased this unit in 2015 with 3600 miles. At that time there was a recall on the steps, and the dealer replaced them. Just recently they have worked on and off. Currently not deploying. I have already checked the rocker switch, which is working and getting power. The door reed switch and corresponding screen contact are in place. Next I will have to locate the fuse and check the motor. Any additional help for what else to check is appreciated including where to look for the fuse. I have a fuse block under the bed, and one under the driver's section. There is another fuse panel under the hood. Thanks to all

Vince
If you are having an intermittent problem check your ground connection.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #18

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Hi all,

Vince
Okay, so here is an update on my earlier post regarding the entry steps: I check the ground and found it to be good, but as a precaution I created a new ground. No help there. I checked all the wiring which seemed to be in new condition and properly connected. Checked the reed switch - working. The main wiring harness going to the stair board was folded and zip tied up to take up the slack. This was done during the stairs replacement at the dealer when I first purchased the MH. I broke the harness apart and opened the 4-way connector to check for corrosion or moisture - all looked good. Check continuity and power to the plug on the inlet side with the screen door open and then also closed. Didn't see any issue there. Then I reconnected the 4-way pug again - immediately the stairs deployed. So, I either have a faulty connector/connection at that location or possibly a broken wire or connector pin. As a precaution, I also remove the after market stair treads (I did this after the stairs worked) in case they were causing the steps to bind, affecting the motor in some way. Bottom line is that all is working as it should be. If this occurs again, then I guess I will change the 4-way connector. As an afterthought, I am wondering if the stair treads could cause the motor to freeze and when I disconnected the 4-way connector the lack of power to the motor freed it up. Just a thought though.

Thanks for everyone's help
Vince
Old 02-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #19

THOR #5196
Sounds like you’ve located the problem, great troubleshooting on your part!!!

Rather than mess with a connector I would use waterproof crimp connectors and do away with the faulty and problematic connector completely.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #20

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Sounds like you’ve located the problem, great troubleshooting on your part!!!

Rather than mess with a connector I would use waterproof crimp connectors and do away with the faulty and problematic connector completely.
That's a great idea that I will consider.