Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
Good Sam Tire and Wheel protection plan ?

Should we get this ? Anyone out there have an opinion on this plan ? Thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We have it.
No reason other than we can.
If I start carrying a spare tire I'll reconsider.
Until I get the spare I want mounted where I want, I found the plan to be affordable peace of mind. If the fee is budget threatening, don't buy it. If it's peace of mind and the cost of one dinner out, do it.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

THOR #16986
Thank you, for 129.00 I think it’s worth it if it’s all it’s says it is. We are new at this and we are trying to protect us every way we can ! We have Good Sam Road plan, and AAA extra RV protection. We don’t have a spare on the Thor Vegas, so we thought the tire and wheel protection plan was probably a very good idea...
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We have it. Our thoughts were it may be cheaper than having to buy a new tire out on the road. If it works out that way we may keep it, if it doesn't we'll ditch it. This one is a live and learn type experiment.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

THOR #16986
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
So we bought it when we bought our RV a five policy cost almost $1000 almost at the end of the policy we had a tire blowout they did go ahead and pay for the tire but it’s retroactive I had to replace the tire and have them put it on and all that and they process the paperwork and about 20 days I get the money back so they did pay for the new tire
would I buy it again I hadn’t planned on it seems that you need new tires every five years anyway so I just plan to buy new tires every five years
Old 10-18-2019, 02:56 AM   #7

Model: Aria 3901
State: Alaska
THOR #14573
We didn't have it on our 2019 Thor Windsport 34J and lost a tire the other day. Replacement tire and all the other charges exceeded $900. Tire was not repairable. Lesson learned, adding tires and wheels coverage.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #8

THOR #16986
Thanks for that feedback... you just sold me on getting it !
Old 10-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35SK
THOR #14346
Its an OK deal but dont be confused at all. This IS NOT road side assistance. If you have a tire disaster, they are not going to come out and change it. You can get the tire to an authorized service center (read you remove it) or have it towed to said location. If you are in the middle of nowhere, this could be problematic. This "warranty" is mostly for reimbursement i.e. tire replacement and towing. Its not going to get you right back on the road unless you happen to have a blowout in front of Pep Boys.
Oh and dont forget to call in advance for a claim. However, you actually have up to 30 days to submit but read carefully so you include all necessary documents.

But I have it too so...

Disclaimer. The contract is lawyer speak and I aint one.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2019, 01:13 AM   #10

THOR #16986
I have the roadside assistance too from Good Sam ... hoping with roadside and tire and wheel I would not have that problem..?
Old 10-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 35SK
THOR #14346
My roadside is attached to my Progressive policy. 36$ add on I believe. Covers towing, flat fixing, mechanical, and fuel delivery. Having both as mentioned is probably best route for peace of mind. Interesting that for the Wheel and Tire, the vehicle must be within 100 feet of a "roadway" to meet tow criteria.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

THOR #16986
I would think that means you can’t be in the woods ....
Old 10-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
What does the Good Sam protection plan cover? Have you checked out any other plans when you were considering a plan?
Old 10-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #14

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
I would think that means you can’t be in the woods ....
I'd say you are right. You can't be up top of Ol' Smokey, 50 miles from a paved road.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #15

THOR #7205
I don't know if you have read my story about blowing both driver side duals, but I I'll still try to keep it short. We flew from WA State to S.C. to buy our 9 month used ws31. We had a full inspection done AND TIRES inspected/ filled before our arrival. The next day when setting out for home all was peachy! Until 200 miles north on I95 N.C. I must have hit something small as I didn't see any debris on the road. The inner tire was torn up pretty bad. Fortunately there was an exit about 1/4 mile ahead. I stopped to further assess the damage. The outside tire was nearly flat now. We have AAA plus rv so, started making calls. 6:00 pm and AAA said everything was closed. The best they could do is flat bed "tow" our huge new coach 60 miles to the next substantially sized town. We said " no way" it isn't go In to clear the overpasses! Our smart phones saved us. I located a truck tire store 12 miles from us that did on location tire repair. AND, their website showed they had our exact tires in stock. 9:30 am and $600 bucks later we were back on the road. We now have a spare even though it wouldn't have helped much with our incident.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #16

THOR #16986
So I would think you are in favor of the Tire and Wheel protection plan ?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #17

THOR #16986
I bought it nonetheless as others have had incidents that convinced me to get it. Now we have Good Sam roadside assistance, AAA plus RV , And the Good Sam Tire and Wheel ... anyone think there is something else we should have ???? Thanks , we are new to this and just don’t want to be stranded...
Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
First of all, having had Good Sam and USAA towing insurance the first thing the operator asks when you tell them you have a flat is, "Do you have a serviceable spare tire?" If the answer is no you get "what size tire do you need and are you in a safe place." Translation you are going to be there a while. The UltraVan ran 245/45-17XL tire that always had to come from warehouse somewhere far away, so with two day FedEx shipping I could get one for only $150 + $209 shipping and $26 mounting and balancing. I find the 245/70-19.5 tires only exist at Goodyear commercial dealers. So if you travel say to Buxton, NC, you best have a spare tire or wait 3 to 6 days for a $1,000 tire.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #19

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
So I would think you are in favor of the Tire and Wheel protection plan ?
Yes.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #20

THOR #16927
Good sam tire plan

Dont get it.
Had a flat and tried to use it. I bought a 2017 Thor and had a flat. The plan said it would not cover the tire even though it came apart. Said talk to tire maker. Got in touch with them but refused to cover because it was a 2015 date of being made. Filed complaint with Good Sam to no avail and canceled plan.