Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Goodyear RV Tire Linked to Multiple Deaths Is Still on Motorhomes

https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...on-motorhomes/

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #2

THOR #20220
another reason the good folks here said get a tpms..

Not mentioned is the make and model of the vehicle’s tires: Goodyear G159s—tires linked to hundreds of RV crashes over the past quarter century that left at least 95 people dead or injured, according to court records and documents reviewed by Consumer Reports.

The G159 was allegedly not designed to be driven at highway speeds for extended periods because it could become unusually hot and experience tread separation if it was.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #3

THOR #20220
goodyears

not good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	30588  
Old 05-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are we talking about a 25 year period of time?!? 95 people injured or killed in that timeframe is probably pretty darn low for ANY segment of the population...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #5

THOR #20220
By Ryan Felton
May 07, 2021
Old 05-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
As far as I'm concerned, many of the stock chassis tires are dangerous for motorhome applications.

When you look at the E-Series Class C's and even smaller Class A's, the chassis manufacturers are using LT (Light Truck) tires. While they have a higher weight rating than the car tire, LT tires aren meant to carry heavier loads temporaily vs carrying heavier weights full-time at highway speeds.

This is why proper tire inflation (and a TPMS) and regular inspection are so important for a motorhome with LT tires (not that this isn't the case for any vehicle on the road). If LT tires are not properly inflated.... pushed to their weight limits all the time.... dealing with chassis alignment issues, then a dangerous blowout becomes more probable.

Commercial Truck Tires are designed to carry a heavy load at highway speeds all the time. Unfortunately, these tires are generally available in the 19.5" and 22" sizes. Although, they can be found for 17.5" wheels as well.

With the exposion of Amazon and other online deliveries, there has been a huge increase in cargo vans and some of the tire manufacturers now offer C-Rated tires for 16" wheels that are designed to carry heavy loads full-time similar to the big rig tires.

If I had kept my Class C Outlaw and didn't move to a Super C, that was the next thing on my list.... ditch the LT tires and go to the C-Rated tires.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
x 2 for the Commercial tires!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
This "Japolink" article reappears every couple of years. Those Tire failures are from the 1990's. The G-159 has been replaced by the Goodyear G670 RV tire for about 20 years... Nothing like a little misleading sensationalism.
Seems to be a lot of that lately....
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:20 AM   #9

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
Goodyear G159 245/70/19.5 tires

These tires are garbage and are still being sold. I own a wrecker service and had these tires on my rollbacks. My son was on a long distance call when one of the tires blew out on the front. With his experience at driving, he saved my truck from serious disaster. Goodyear replaced the bad tires with new ones and the same thing happened. This time it was an inside rear tire that blew. Needless to say, we have switched to B F Goodrich and so far, knock on wood, they are faring alot better. What has happened to Goodyear????
Old 05-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The question begging to be asked: When did this happen to your Son?
(Glad to see that he didn't get hurt! )
Old 05-18-2021, 01:52 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The tire in question has not been manufactured since 2003 and sales ended in 2005. Are there some left on the road, probably so, but if you still have 18 year old tires on your motorhome the blame is all yours, not the manufacturers. Stuff like this is a distraction from bigger issues in the RV industry.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:05 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Agreed...
Old 05-18-2021, 03:00 AM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Agreed...
Didn't I read a thread somewhere where if you let the air out of all your tires you do not need TPMS, and you will never have a blowout

I have Goodyear G670s ( 6 of them); someone will need to give me some very good compelling info for me to go spend $3,000 on some other tires when it is time to replace? Short of that I will stick with the Goodyear tires that Ford put on the Truck. Especially given the fact that I have had a good year with my Goodyear's
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:04 AM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The tire in question has not been manufactured since 2003 and sales ended in 2005. Are there some left on the road, probably so, but if you still have 18 year old tires on your motorhome the blame is all yours, not the manufacturers. Stuff like this is a distraction from bigger issues in the RV industry.
Wait, the Lt. defending the Mfgs...

I may take a picture of this post for future use
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote