Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Got bit by the Schwintek slide out bug.

Hi all. I've been very happy with our Aria for the last 4 years and have had very few issues with it since the initial list. But, I had recently noticed our living room slide (not the full wall) started making some groaning noises. I could not find anything rubbing on the sides, which is what it sounded like. I finally started seeing wear on the rear upper slide tracks. When I got up on the ladder is was immediately obvious why. The upper tracks were not parallel. Schwintek specifies within 1/8". The upper tracks were well over 1/2" out of alignment. I took all of the screws out of the tracks and lined them up and now the slide runs in and out pretty smoothly and quiet, but on closer inspection, the damage has already been done. The V-rollers are in bad shape. On is cracked completely through and on the other, the nylon part is completely gone and now running on the wheel itself.

I found and ordered a Schwintek slide out track rebuild kit. $385 on Amazon. It will be here this weekend and am hoping to install it myself in the next couple of weeks. Schwintek has a pretty good video on u-tube that makes it look pretty easy, or at least doable.

When looking into this a little more, and after I had ordered the kit, I found the Vroom slide out system. As I new Judge was currently having issues keeping his motor from torqueing out of place, I sent him the link and am hoping he is the first on this forum to test it for us. I am thinking that I will have my 2 large slides done in the spring. I inquired about just ordering the parts for a DYI install, but have not yet had a response. It seems to me though that a trip to Tucson for lasting peace of mind will be worth it as we do love this motorhome and wish to keep it for a good while yet.

I will try to document the install of the rebuild kit and post my results.

Mike

Old 10-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #2

THOR #9660
Installed the repair kit.

Yesterday was the day. I knew it would take awhile and needed to block off a day to do this job. I followed the you tube video by Schwintek step by step. As I stated before, these problems with my slide were because the 2 upper tracks were not installed parallel at the factory.

The first picture shows damage to the tracks The next is the old and new upper tracks before cutting. Third pic shows the damaged V=rollers, and the last shows what was left of the V=rollers after removal.

The removal was pretty straight forward except the the video did not mention that there could be a plate inside the coach with screws securing the column from the inside. I only discovered this when I tried to move the column out as per the video. Also, the slide in the video had screws. Thor used rivets so they all had to be drilled out.

The install was a little more difficult as the opening for the column was very tight and getting it back in the wall was somewhat difficult.

It took me a good 7 hours not including caulking. I would call it a success as the slide goes in and out smoothly, but after pulling it apart and seeing how they are built, I am pretty sure we will be booking an appointment with Vroom in Tucson to have their system installed on the two large slides in the spring.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg
Views:	587
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	34099   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (3).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	34100  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (4).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	34101   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	34102  

Old 10-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Thanks for posting.... and thanks to you the crappy Schwintek Slide Mechanism for my Magnitude SV34 full wall slide is currently being tossed into the dumpster as I type...... and being replaced with the Vroom Slide System!

I thought about trying to fix the slide myself like you have done..... nice work! That was until you sent me the Vroom Slide System information.... thankfully!!!

I have read about several cases of the slide mechanism as well as rollers not being installed properly at the factory leading to eventual and premature failures. That being said, I think the Schwintek Slide Mechanism is only good for small slides and it still has many limitations and more likely to fail than not if everything is not perfect in my opinion.

The other problem is that a lot of RV Shops / Techs don't know how to fix some of the problems properly. The guys at Vroom showed me some of the crazy things techs did to compensate for slides not working properly and not identifying the root causes.

I'll let you know how the Vroom Slide System works out when I pick up the coach on Wednesday.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
The removal was pretty straight forward except the the video did not mention that there could be a plate inside the coach with screws securing the column from the inside. I only discovered this when I tried to move the column out as per the video. Also, the slide in the video had screws. Thor used rivets so they all had to be drilled out.
I am about to embark on this as well.

Did you put it back together with rivets or did you use panhead screws like the Lippert instructions suggested? Since the top two rails were not parallel I am guessing you had to drill new holes, did you re use the bottom holes and did you have any issues doing that (like screws that would not tighten?).
Old 10-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post

Did you put it back together with rivets or did you use panhead screws like the Lippert instructions suggested? Since the top two rails were not parallel I am guessing you had to drill new holes, did you re use the bottom holes and did you have any issues doing that (like screws that would not tighten?).

Just a thought….. I just had the Vroom Slide System installed to replace the Schwintek System on my SV34. They used rivets to attach their tracks instead of screws.

Screws can eventually loosen. Especially if they are over-tightened, not long / large enough for the job or going into softer metal. I’ve read of a few people have issues with track screws loosening, falling out, etc.

If it were me, I’d consider rivets on the tracks.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #6

THOR #9660
Quote:

I went ahead and used rivets as I wanted it to look like stock and match the others. I even painted them, some were two tone. I did have to drill new screw holes for the rack that had been installed improperly. I sealed the old ones even though they are under the new rack and do not show. The racks have rubber weather strip on the backs also.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #7

THOR #9660
Quote:

I guess there are two trains of thought here. Both rivets and screws can looses with time. Properly installed screws are easier to re-tighten. I was told in the marine industry, high volume, lower end boat builders use rivets to attach hardware and upper end builders use screws.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #8

THOR #14384
Quote:
I went ahead and used rivets as I wanted it to look like stock and match the others. I even painted them, some were two tone. I did have to drill new screw holes for the rack that had been installed improperly. I sealed the old ones even though they are under the new rack and do not show. The racks have rubber weather strip on the backs also.
What size/length?

Not sure which way I will go, I'm going to do both sides, so no matter what mine will look factory.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:02 AM   #9

THOR #9660
Quote:
What size/length?

Not sure which way I will go, I'm going to do both sides, so no matter what mine will look factory.
3/16ths by 1/2"
Old 10-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #10

THOR #14384
Quote:
3/16ths by 1/2"
Thanks. I think I already have those in stock, in black. Larger diameter on the front, but I don't think that will matter.

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-FLANGE-.../dp/B07ZWNGJ6N

Any other pointers for this?
Old 10-29-2021, 03:28 AM   #11

THOR #9660
Quote:
Thanks. I think I already have those in stock, in black. Larger diameter on the front, but I don't think that will matter.

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-FLANGE-.../dp/B07ZWNGJ6N

Any other pointers for this?
As everything needs to be within 1/8", measure very carefully. The tracks have to be exactly synced up on the column before install. If even 1 tooth off, it means remove and start all over again. Also, even when everything is correct, the front and back of the slides will be out of sync. Follow the instructions and they will get back in time.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #12

THOR #14384
Quote:
As everything needs to be within 1/8", measure very carefully.
I will, however I think my problem was self imposed and isn't related to any issue with the original install. My RV has almost 70k miles on it and was a rental before I bought it. My guess is this slide has been in and out 10,000 or more times.

What did you use as a jack to hold the slide up while the column was out?
Old 10-30-2021, 02:36 AM   #13

THOR #9660
Quote:
I will, however I think my problem was self imposed and isn't related to any issue with the original install. My RV has almost 70k miles on it and was a rental before I bought it. My guess is this slide has been in and out 10,000 or more times.

What did you use as a jack to hold the slide up while the column was out?
I used my floor jack with a section of railroad tie topped with a piece of 1" plywood about 2'X2'. A 4X4 and plywood would have worked, but I had a suitable length of RR tie handy.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:21 AM   #14

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
My slide motors are popping up and bending the screw. How did you hold the motors down in place. I have sent 2 e-mails to Tucson with no answer. I will replace but need to patch it together for now.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:28 AM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
My slide motors are popping up and bending the screw. How did you hold the motors down in place. I have sent 2 e-mails to Tucson with no answer. I will replace but need to patch it together for now.

You will have better luck calling Vroom than using email.

I bought some small chain and looped it through the slots in the top of the motor and then screwed the ends of the chain down to the wall bracket below the motor. I’ll look but I don’t think I took any pictures of it.

Someone else posted they screwed a wood block into the wall on top of the motor to keep it down.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:50 AM   #16

Model: XG-32
State: Texas
THOR #19089
Vroom

There is no phone number on the website
Old 11-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by XG32owner View Post
There is no phone number on the website
It is under Vroom Engineering & Manufacturing. The Slide System is being created by them.

(520) 293-3819
Old 11-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #18

THOR #16876
Hey Mike!

Good job on this. I had a slide failure on my long slide because the front motor was pulling away from the body of the coach they told me. Luckily, we were in the parking lot at the Wakarusa repair center.

I am impressed by your thoroughness and courage to take this on. Thanks for this, I will look into the Vroom system.

Ron
NG7V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #19

THOR #14384
One other question, when you put the #10 screws in the tracks, did you feel like that was just into wood, or is there metal in the slide to grab onto? I would assume the column's are framed in steel so that should be no issue, just wondering if I need to mix up some fiberglass to shoot in the holes incase one is oversized.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
One other question, when you put the #10 screws in the tracks, did you feel like that was just into wood, or is there metal in the slide to grab onto? I would assume the column's are framed in steel so that should be no issue, just wondering if I need to mix up some fiberglass to shoot in the holes incase one is oversized.
Why not get the slide structural diagrams from Thor so you know for sure.