Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
And I never have understood the aversion to dicor anyway. It only takes a few minutes a couple of times a year and it “encourages” you to get up on the roof to look around and do other recommended maintenance - always a good practice.
I may over think it and make more out of it than I should but here is how I look at it.....

Dicor's performance depends on the weather conditions it is exposed to over time but I also think about how much these rigs flex and vibrate as you drive down the road. As Dicor gets older and looses some of its flexibility I think it starts to pull away from surfaces and this is where leaks begin. This is why I put EternaBond over all of the Dicor and overlap with the roof material as well as the sides of a vent, fan, etc.

You can keep putting more and more new Dicor over old Dicor but I look at this as a band-aid. At some point there will be some amount of shrinking or cracking or pulling away from surfaces with the old Dicor until you clean out all of the old Dicor and then start with fresh.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:52 AM   #22
BC1

Model: 24HE
State: New York
THOR #20090
I don't understand there to be anything except the FlexArmor product on the roof based on the detailed videos I watched and the understanding I had (but I just emailed them to ask).

Are you guys seeing that in my BEFORE picture?

Inspect - is inspect it for anything out of the ordinary as someone else said and anything can fail. If this product fails it is fixed under warranty but from my research I could only find one person who had a slight problem which was promptly fixed.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:00 AM   #23

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
I don't understand there to be anything except the FlexArmor product on the roof.

Inspect - is inspect it for anything out of the ordinary as someone else said and anything can fail. If the product fails it is fixed under warranty but from my research I could only find one person who had a slight problem which was promptly fixed.

The one picture you posted shows Dicor around the vent, fan, antenna, etc.

Unless that was a “before” picture and not an “after” picture.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:02 AM   #24
BC1

THOR #20090
There is NO Dicor on the FlexArmor roof.

Yes, it is a before picture - I indicated that I was also posting a before picture LOL

I guess my "before" roof was so pretty that it threw you off : )

I guess I can't edit to remove that pic? Is that only an option on the last message? Anyway sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #25

THOR #12751
Quote:

Yes, it is a before picture - I indicated that I was also posting a before picture LOL

I guess I can't edit to remove that pic? Is that only an option on the last message? Anyway sorry for the confusion.
My bad! I stand corrected now that I realize that was the before picture I was seeing.

Now that I can see the corner of the fan on the one picture I see NO DICOR!

I couldn't understand why I was seeing DICOR when I heard that was one of the advantages of FlexArmor.

You should have on maintenance other than cleaning. No I'd say it is worth the $3500 - $4000 based on the way it does seal up everything.

I just wonder what happens if you had to replace a fan, antenna, etc? I know there is no Dicor used around an A/C unit so that would be straightforward even with the FlexArmor.

Do you have to cut through the coating to replace an item and they have them reapply it to that area?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #26
BC1

THOR #20090
That is the only negative I have found so far. If you have to replace or add something on the roof you do have to bring it to one of the FlexArmor locations to have them do it. I think I read (but don't quote me), if you have an emergency and can't get to a location you can have what you need done but then have to go to a FlexArmor location within a certain time to have them seal it back up again.

Yes the no maintenance (except cleaning and inspecting on occasion) is a huge plus.

Hope everyone enjoys their (maybe) different Thanksgiving this year.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #27

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Judge, what does the TPO stand for? when I put my solar panels on my roof I used the glue down mounting brackets and was told the roof material was a type of Vinyl, they have a special primer to use prior to use on the area before the adhesive is used, one of the primers cover several different materials and there were a total of 3 different primers to cover all the possibilities, this adhesive is a construction adhesive so It had many applications, my panels have been up for 3 years and I go up every year for an inspection of the entire roof an a tube of Dicor to touch up around all the vents and so on, I watched a Youtube Video of a new 3 axle 5th wheel trailer in a shop who specializes in roofs and they removed the factory roof after the customer had the rig for less then 3 months, they used a heavier gauge material and built curbs around all the vents and A/C units to raise them and insure a better seal
Old 11-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
My favorite part is that there is no maintenance except to clean it and inspect periodically. I think I can handle that.
I looked at the photos you posted and it does look nice. As far as maintenance is concerned, I see that they either still applied a lap sealant around your vents and antenna; I believe those are regular maintenance items, just like before.

I don't see where the advantage is in doing the armor coating besides strengthening the TPO membrane which usually will not leak unless damaged (torn or punctured). I believe Thor actually warrants the membrane for several years.

I am not criticizing your decision, maybe I am just missing something here.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:36 AM   #29
MLP

THOR #17478
I have seen a couple of Flex Armor roofs done on fifth wheels and there isn't any Dicor or anything else used. Just Flex Armor making all seals. That is why you must have vents or anything else removed and replaced at one of the Flex Armor approved facilities. When I saw that same picture of the Dicor around the vent, antenna etc., something does not look right. On the fifth wheel roofs, all and I mean all seams were Flex Armor only.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Judge, what does the TPO stand for? when I put my solar panels on my roof I used the glue down mounting brackets and was told the roof material was a type of Vinyl, they have a special primer to use prior to use on the area before the adhesive is used, one of the primers cover several different materials and there were a total of 3 different primers to cover all the possibilities, this adhesive is a construction adhesive so It had many applications, my panels have been up for 3 years and I go up every year for an inspection of the entire roof an a tube of Dicor to touch up around all the vents and so on, I watched a Youtube Video of a new 3 axle 5th wheel trailer in a shop who specializes in roofs and they removed the factory roof after the customer had the rig for less then 3 months, they used a heavier gauge material and built curbs around all the vents and A/C units to raise them and insure a better seal

TPO is short for thermoplastic polyolefin.

TPO is a single-ply roofing membrane. Thor typically uses a one-piece system so there are seams other than the connection points. TPO roof material should last 20 years.

Thor only provides a 90-Day lea warranty because the seams and joints need regular inspection and maintenance of the Dicor that covers every opening / hole that was cut into the TPO material during manufacturing to install vents, A/C's, etc. as well as the front, rear and side seams.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Judge,
So what I'm seeing in your response; is that TPO is a perfectly good product for sealing up a roof...

... that gets completely hamstrung by all of the holes we put in it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #32

THOR #12751
That about sums it up Bob! [emoji106]
Old 11-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

I edited your picture post to annotate the BEFORE picture and highlight your "before" statement so there shouldn't be any more misunderstanding.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #34

THOR #1249
Since we are talking about sealing holes in the roof, has anyone used Flexseal around the openings instead of Dicor? My neighbor uses it to seal gutters etc., and really likes it, but don't know how it would stand up to the constant sun on the roof of an RV.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Since we are talking about sealing holes in the roof, has anyone used Flexseal around the openings instead of Dicor? My neighbor uses it to seal gutters etc., and really likes it, but don't know how it would stand up to the constant sun on the roof of an RV.
If your neighbor is using it to seal gutters: that should give you an idea as to how it'll stand up to the Sun.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If your neighbor is using it to seal gutters: that should give you an idea as to how it'll stand up to the Sun.
You can cut a hole in the bottom of a perfectly good boat a use Flex Seal to fix
I’ve seen it on TV!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So it just has to be true...
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I used Flexseal to seal up the taillight cutouts. Its a bit more permanent then dicor; thus if you need to maintain something I wouldn't use it. Its also not as flexible as dicor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	axistaillights3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	27406
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the "hands-on" review.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #40

THOR #1249
Yeah, I forgot about that boat sealing on tv........got to be good for that.,tic>