Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
LDK

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Major Slide Issue

Hello. I have a 2019 Thor Aria 3901. Today I started having a major passenger side slide issue. I created a 1min 24 sec video of the issue at the link below, if you would be so kind to review and provide your counsel.

Clarification that the issue is only happening on the side of the slide to the rear of the coach. I dont see the issue on the front side.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kk73wtkpr...23540.mp4?dl=0

Old 08-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
LDK

THOR #13190
I tried to close the slide to see what would happen. Was praying for it to adjust and correct itself. No luck. Please see video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrcpyxc4g6...34734.mp4?dl=0
Old 08-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
LDK

THOR #13190
Another clarification. A few days earlier that slide did have what I evaluated were the motors were out of sync. I performed the fix as per the Lippert User Manual and all seemed well until now. Starting to wonder now if the issues are related.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
You probably don’t want to hear my theory but it looks like the gear that engages the lower part is missing a tooth The popping you hear is the gear skipping
Old 08-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
I have a similar issue with my Windsport 27B. Here is the solution from my dealer...
First. Extend the slide about 6 inches and return. Then, if that does not bring it in enough, just barely engage the extension, about a second or so, the slide will hardly move (just enough to hear the motor engage), then return. Do this a couple of times. This should readjust the slide and bring it back tight.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster56 View Post
I have a similar issue with my Windsport 27B. Here is the solution from my dealer...
First. Extend the slide about 6 inches and return. Then, if that does not bring it in enough, just barely engage the extension, about a second or so, the slide will hardly move (just enough to hear the motor engage), then return. Do this a couple of times. This should readjust the slide and bring it back tight.
Thank you.

Curious if you were able to see the two videos? Particularly that the top of the slide is all the way in, just not the bottom. And this only happens on rear side not the front. In addition that the rear side pops periodically when extending and retracting, and the rack has metal gouged every 14 grooves.

I have talked with Lippert briefly and have sent them the videos to get feedback I have also contacted Thor and am awaiting a response.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You have a broken gear tooth on the lower gear on the rear of that slide. Your entire track and mechanism probably need to be replaced. Are you still under warranty?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #14127
I have to agree with the others. It really sounds like a broken gear/tooth based on the video/description. The damage to the track is likely the next good tooth catching it and grinding the aluminum track a bit...it is telling that it is every 14 grooves like clockwork. I bet if you look at a video online of those motors and gears, the gears have between 12 and 16 teeth on them.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
I have to agree with the others. It really sounds like a broken gear/tooth based on the video/description. The damage to the track is likely the next good tooth catching it and grinding the aluminum track a bit...it is telling that it is every 14 grooves like clockwork. I bet if you look at a video online of those motors and gears, the gears have between 12 and 16 teeth on them.
Reviewing the Lippert Owners Manual, the gear has 16 teeth.

I tend to agree that seems broken one or more teeth are causing the popping sound and damage to the track.

What I am quite curious about is the root cause. Dont want to replace the parts without addressing root cause if possible. Awaiting initial insights from Lippert and Thor. My guess is one or more of: the slide wall is not within Schwintek specifications of distance between the rack and column edge to be between 2 3/8" to 2 5/8"; rollers are not doing their job; loose components; a part failure.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:27 AM   #10
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You have a broken gear tooth on the lower gear on the rear of that slide. Your entire track and mechanism probably need to be replaced. Are you still under warranty?
A few months past the end date.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #11
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
You probably don’t want to hear my theory but it looks like the gear that engages the lower part is missing a tooth The popping you hear is the gear skipping
[emoji21]
Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I would still contact Thor directly (and your dealer if they are a good one) and politely explain you have been having the issue for several weeks and now it has gotten work and you are just passed warranty. There have been times when Thor has covered issues like this when the warranty expired a couple months prior to the event. It is worth a shot to see if they will cover it.

This is my fear with these full wall slides that are mechanical and not hydraulic. I just bought two of these Slide Locks so I could put one on each end of the slide when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There has to be an incredible amount of force on the motors and gears when going around bends. That can't be good for the gears and motor over the long run.

I read about a guy who would occasionally hear a "pop" when extending his slide after arriving at his destination. After installing slide locks, he stopped hearing that "popping" sound when extending the slides.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #15963
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
Hello. I have a 2019 Thor Aria 3901. Today I started having a major passenger side slide issue. I created a 1min 24 sec video of the issue at the link below, if you would be so kind to review and provide your counsel.

Clarification that the issue is only happening on the side of the slide to the rear of the coach. I dont see the issue on the front side.
Watched both your videos and my first recommendation is to have someone bring the slide out a few inches and flood the rollers axles with silicone spray. Also spray the OD of the rollers and the area where they make contact to the slide itself. Bring it out a few more inches and do the same thing. Keep doing that until its all the way out. Have someone bring the slide back in and you will notice either the rollers are rolling or the slide is moving freely over them due to all of the silicone spray. You may also have a damaged gear that needs replacing from the look of your rack but unless you get those rollers lubed it will never work right either way. My new RV had the same popping noise and you could hear the motors straining. That's how I fixed it before any damage occurred. They get flooded with silicone every few months now and no more issues.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I would still contact Thor directly (and your dealer if they are a good one) and politely explain you have been having the issue for several weeks and now it has gotten work and you are just passed warranty. There have been times when Thor has covered issues like this when the warranty expired a couple months prior to the event. It is worth a shot to see if they will cover it.

This is my fear with these full wall slides that are mechanical and not hydraulic. I just bought two of these Slide Locks so I could put one on each end of the slide when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There has to be an incredible amount of force on the motors and gears when going around bends. That can't be good for the gears and motor over the long run.

I read about a guy who would occasionally hear a "pop" when extending his slide after arriving at his destination. After installing slide locks, he stopped hearing that "popping" sound when extending the slides.
I got 2 slide locks as well. I never thought about it before reading a thread on this forum. I also put labels by each switch to remind me to remove the slide locks.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #15
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Well a new gear track and gear is in order. Should not cost a lot, but do get and use the slide locks. If you are handy, you could watch UTube videos on how to do this and do this yourself.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
What’s up with the video download $$$ ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post

Why do I need to give my credit card number to see your video. Hope your not scamming the people in this site.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 31s
State: British Columbia
THOR #13341
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
Watched both your videos and my first recommendation is to have someone bring the slide out a few inches and flood the rollers axles with silicone spray. Also spray the OD of the rollers and the area where they make contact to the slide itself. Bring it out a few more inches and do the same thing. Keep doing that until its all the way out. Have someone bring the slide back in and you will notice either the rollers are rolling or the slide is moving freely over them due to all of the silicone spray. You may also have a damaged gear that needs replacing from the look of your rack but unless you get those rollers lubed it will never work right either way. My new RV had the same popping noise and you could hear the motors straining. That's how I fixed it before any damage occurred. They get flooded with silicone every few months now and no more issues.
Which rollers are you talking about and their location? Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Georgia
THOR #18370
Interesting thread of information! Thanks to all those who responded!!
Glad i purchased the Extended Warranty from "Camping Squirrels" when I bought my Class A. You just never know what might go wrong with your "moving house" in your travels. It's like drivin' an earthquake!!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #19

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Oregon
THOR #11798
I was just wondering if you got this fixed and what it took. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Why do I need to give my credit card number to see your video. Hope your not scamming the people in this site.
There's no payment required to watch the guy's videos - check "your" browser and/or browser settings. There's no scam here - c'mon man. ~sigh.