Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Gray water still smells and has food particles in it that will cause ants, etc. Any RVer should respect the environment and dump only in designated, approved dump stations. There are those emergency situations whereby bleeding a little gray water off becomes necessary....but not in a park or campground!! He wants to dump his gray tank right next to you?? Pretty disgusting and that also says he will dump his black tank on open land when no one is looking.

Yeah, it just didn't feel right to me.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeg View Post
Same here! I'm a bipartisan crank! LOL
..."Birds of a feather"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Like others have said, the gauges are not really accurate. The more you camp the better you'll get at knowing how long you can go. I have 100 gallons of fresh water and 41 each of gray and black holding. I can visually check the fresh water level, although the gauge for it is relatively accurate. When I get to 1/3 remaining of fresh water I know my tanks are getting full. I use a portable tank to dump some of the gray/black water into and transport to the dump station behind my Jeep.

I never fully empty at the campground. I am fortunate we have a rest area on the Interstate close to home, with a dump station. I empty my ice cube bin into the toilet a couple hours from home and when I dump at the rest area the gauges read empty.

After dumping I always add a few gallons of water to both holding tanks along with the additive for the black water tank. I have done it this way for years and feel my gauges work as designed...not extremely accurate but close enough.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #24

THOR #8223
Gray Water "meter" incorrect reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I empty my ice cube bin into the toilet a couple hours from home and when I dump at the rest area the gauges read empty.

After dumping I always add a few gallons of water to both holding tanks along with the additive for the black water tank.

Miaramar Owner (or anyone else) Thanks for the tip. Regarding above: If I read that correctly you dump the cubes prior to the "gunk dump", correct? I will have about a twenty minute drive to the dump station.

As for the post-dump additions, yep, I have that habit now. ;-)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #25

THOR #4488
Yes...I dump the ice cubes through the toilet into the black water before I make my final dump. If your tank is full, this may not have much impact. But as I mentioned in my previous post, (if my tank is full) I dump a portion of my holding tank into my portable unit throughout my stay.

The many thing is I want the tank to register empty when I am done. If you leave "stuff" stuck to the walls inside your tank, it will be very difficult to get it off. You can also use the back flush feature, if your RV has one. That does a good job as well. The ice cubes is just easy to do and generally works.

By the way, I love Oklahoma. What a fun, friendly state to visit.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Ice cubes work...I've done that for a couple years now. Drain tank leaving 1/4 or so full then add ice. Drive to next location dump site. the partially full tank floats the ice around and knocks off the "chunks".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #27

THOR #8223
Thanks, everyone for the helpful feedback. We dumped the tanks today and it was probably good we did. I paid the sanitation district $5 for piece of mind! [emoji18]

The gray tank indicator shows empty, but the black tank showed ⅓ full while still at the dump station. I'll do the ice cube dealie next time. [emoji1303]
Old 08-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #28

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Those indicators are notoriously inaccurate. As they age, the sensors collect debris on them and will often light despite there being a low liquid level in the tank. I just kind of know how long we can go before having to dump tanks, and only use the indicators as a rough guide. You can try filling your tank with water, or almost full add some cleaner, then drive on a rough road with lots of curves. That may help, at least temporarily. With the black tank, the drill is to fill it half or so, add lots of ice cubes, and drive for awhile. Again maybe a temporary fix.
On this note, mine started reading incorrect as well.
I have a friend that works for a local pull behind camper sales / service business
and he tells me the same thing about paper clogging the sensor.

His action of correction is to place water in the tank,
then add 10 to 20 pounds of cube style ICE direct into the toilet.
Then drive the MH around for a little bit.
He said the ice sloshing around will bump things on the sides
of the tank and usually solve the problem.
Guess I'll try this soon.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #29

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
For gray tank, use dishwasher detergent. Fill tank half full with clean water, dump in 3 or 4 hand fulls of the detergent. It will scrub the tank as you drive and there are no suds.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #30

THOR #4488
Dish washing detergent is a good idea because of no suds, but I have to say I've never treated, cleaned or had any issues with my gray water tank.

Just a funny side note...my daughter ran out of dishwashing detergent one time and squirted a little Dawn into the dish washer. It didn't take long before her kitchen floor was covered with soap suds. What a mess.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #31

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Those gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I really never depend on them, just know that we can go five days or so on the black tank, and usually leave the gray valve open as long as we are connected in an RV park.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #32

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvickie View Post
For gray tank, use dishwasher detergent. Fill tank half full with clean water, dump in 3 or 4 hand fulls of the detergent. It will scrub the tank as you drive and there are no suds.
Here is my question: If the sensors are not working, how do you know when the grey tank is "half full"?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Here is my question: If the sensors are not working, how do you know when the grey tank is "half full"?
...Start with a one-cup measuring cup...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #34

THOR #8223
Gray Water "meter" incorrect reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post

Some mathematical perspective…

Some people see the gray tanks as half full, some see the gray tank as half empty. Either way that's twice as good as an overflowing black water tank!