Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #21
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
I have not looked under the sinks at out Palazzo. In our fifth wheel, they used an air admittance valve or STUDOR valve. They installed the cheep one that only relies on a rubber flap to make the seal. When I found the problem, I replace it with the STUDOR valve that meets most stick and brick codes. It has a spring. Could purchase five of the cheep ones for the price of the good one.

I always add Happy Camper to the gray tanks and well as the black. It eliminates odor. If you ever had to change a gray or black tank valve, you would too! The gray smells much worse than the black, and don't ask me why I know, but man it does. After I used Happy Camper, the wast valve replacement was never an odor problem. I do not know if other waste treatments will do as good a job as Happy Camper, but It works, so I use it even in my Palazzo.

I hope I did not violate a form rule by mentioning the product I use. I have no affiliation with them.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGallagher View Post
Good Morning,

While showering, a horrible odor filled the rv. We were level, weather and wind was calm and the gray water tank was approximately 1/2 full.
The shower drain seemed to be working fine and the sinks also drain well.
I had the fan running in the bathroom.

Once we drove away, the smell dissipated and did not reappear but man, did the gray water stink when I dumped!

So, the question is: Is this a "one time" event or a sign of things to come?

I'm not sure how to check to see if the vent pipe is correctly connected or possibly blocked, so I would appreciate some guidance if you think that could be an issue.

Thank you.
On our first trip out in a brand new unit, I noticed water on the floor underneath the bathroom sink. Upon inspection of the drain pipes it seems nobody bothered to glue them together. So water was making its way out each time we used bathroom sink. Now mine doesn’t drain into the black tank. But you may want to inspect plumbing.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I did manage to get up on the roof yesterday to clean it but did not remove the vent covers.
I'll monitor the situation and report back if it happens again.

Thank you all.
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #6433
It hasn’t been mentioned yet but maybe it was actually your hot water. Sometimes you get a bacteria that reacts to be heated in your hot water tank. When this happens it will make for a really nasty smell, kind of like rotten eggs or black tankish smell.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #25

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
I don't know if you have a tank water heater or not but it could be a sacrificial anode that needs replaced. If you don't drain that between uses that rod could go bad pretty quickly especially if the last park you got water from was on a well.

Being an ex plumber I've changed my share of anodes in home water heater tanks, usually tanks in a guest part of the house that's not used daily and that rotten egg smell is easy to figure out.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #26
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Okay...this isn't the same but it's driving me crazy...the bathroom ALWAYS smells like urine to me. I can clean it top to bottom, walk out and back in and there it is! I've completely emptied and cleaned...help?!?
Old 06-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Okay...this isn't the same but it's driving me crazy...the bathroom ALWAYS smells like urine to me. I can clean it top to bottom, walk out and back in and there it is! I've completely emptied and cleaned...help?!?
Are you sure that everybody's aim is dialed-in?
Old 06-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Check the air admittance valve under the sink. It’s a (usually) black cap-like thing up high near the countertop. If your smell is worse under the sink you can see if temporarily placing a plastic bag secured with a rubber band over the valve eliminates the odor. If so the valve simply screws off and can be replaced inexpensively at a big box store. Other thing to check is your shower drain. If you don’t use your shower often the trap can go dry. Try pouring a couple of cups of water down the drain and see if that helps. Good luck
Old 06-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Pete's got you headed in the right direction...
Old 06-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #30

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
Make sure that you empty your hot water heater after every trip. I didn't for a few trips two years ago and was wondering why the water had a rotten egg smell two trips in a row. It was the water in the hot water heater being affected by the heating element in the hot water tank.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #31
Cpd

THOR #14097
Thanks so much everyone. I'll try those and pray it works. Otherwise I may torch it!
Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks so much everyone. I'll try those and pray it works. Otherwise I may torch it!
let's hope that we don't find you cutting marshmallow roasting,sticks...
Old 06-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #33
Cpd

THOR #14097
������
Old 06-28-2021, 12:43 AM   #34

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
Make sure that you empty your hot water heater after every trip. I didn't for a few trips two years ago and was wondering why the water had a rotten egg smell two trips in a row. It was the water in the hot water heater being affected by the heating element in the hot water tank.

Super important if you use well water. Usually you can get away with leaving it full for a while if you’re using city water. I try to know (or guess!) where my campground gets its water and use and drain accordingly.