Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nebraska
THOR #13970
Thor Palazzo Blowing lines for winter with air compressor issues

Hi all. Trying to help out a neighbor who is sick and we have a different motorhome. Trying to blow out the water lines to winterize and in ours, you attach the compressor and go faucet to faucet opening and closing and air comes out along with it spitting remaining water. When I tried this, nothing came out any faucet leading me to worry that the lines are frozen already (possible) or there is some switch I am missing that I don't have to do on mine. Any help here as it would just be another load of crap to deal with after being quite ill come spring. Thanks.
Trish

Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #2

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I don’t have that unit but on mine I open low point drains first just to get most of the water out. You may have to see if there is a shut off for fresh water tank then try again. Maybe heat the event up may help lines
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with opening low point drains. I connect the air compressor as I would a garden hose to the inlet and open the low point drains. If nothing comes out there I would be concerned the lines could be frozen already.

If they are frozen you must warm up the RV by running the furnace. Odds are even if frozen they probably haven't frozen solid enough to break the lines, but certainly will before spring.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I only open my low point drains, along with all my faucets and shower, and let them drain.... especially if while driving the last several miles before storing it. I also do the same for the water heater plug.
I don't use the pink stuff or air. If the water is out, there's nothing to freeze... though I'm sure that many will argue that you can have water trapped in various places like p-traps, ice maker, etc.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I only open my low point drains, along with all my faucets and shower, and let them drain.... especially if while driving the last several miles before storing it. I also do the same for the water heater plug.
I don't use the pink stuff or air. If the water is out, there's nothing to freeze... though I'm sure that many will argue that you can have water trapped in various places like p-traps, ice maker, etc.
I don't think I disagree with you. The small amount of water that remains won't break the plastic water lines. My main concern is the ice maker. I primarily use the air to make sure to get all the water out of it. Do you have any concerns about your ice maker?