Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21704
Grey Water Holding tank cleaning hints

I have a ws31 Quantum. Knowing most tank readers/gauges can become dirty and show the incorrect readings I am wondering if there is a cleaner for the grey water tank that will clean and not corrode the contacts that read the levels.

My indicators hav been working fine until yesterday and now after empty do not show below 2/3 full even though I have an empty tank

TY

Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about trying some Dawn dish soap down the shower drain, and then run the shower until the gray tank is pretty full...
Re-fill and drain until the suds are gone.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
If you are moving once in awhile it is easier to "clean" the tanks, FW included, as you use the sloshing action of the water to 'scrub' the walls and contacts.

Some use the "GEO" method (my favourite) and other concoctions... to each their own.
If you are stationary, many use a tank treatment of enzymes and such, Happy Camper®, is a common one. Some have a flushing system piped into the tanks.

I have never heard of a corrosion (inside) problem when using cleaners.
Many hours of reading on all these and more can be found. Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:54 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I just ordered the Happy Camper extreme from www.happycampers.store Will likely be a month before I can use it. Will report back.

Have tried Dawn soap wth and without ice cubes with poor results.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:31 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Just an observation on my part but in the 25+ years we have been RVng I don't recall my gray tank sensors not giving me a close reading on what was in the tanks. No solids to stick to the sensors. I have dumped a little of the toilet tank chemical in my gray tank now and again to combat odors.
Now my black tank on the other hand getting an accurate reading with paper and poo in there, well that's another story...
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:37 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I have used the Dawn dish soap and have had good results. I also fill and flush a couple of times to be sure everything is clean and out of the tanks(black and grey).

Paul
Old 03-01-2021, 01:45 AM   #7

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I just ordered the Happy Camper extreme from www.happycampers.store Will likely be a month before I can use it. Will report back.

Please do Mr Sunshine I am curious to see if worth the coin. I have used the dish soap in my black tank with mixed results.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
i have always added a tank rinser tornado on all our rvs. makes cleaning a little easier.

i have also run down the road with 1/2 to 3/4 full and then dump at next site
PH BOY the crap that comes out is ICKKKKKKKY
Old 03-01-2021, 04:07 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I hardly ever look at the tank level displays for the gray and black tanks. My first couple of RVs didn't have them and I got used to winging it. My last coach the sensors were inoperative and in my current one I don't know if they work right or not. I rarely look at them. I always have some fluid in the waste tanks when travelling and the sloshing should keep any solids suspended so they can evacuate. I use Dawn to wash dishes, so the thought of adding more to clean the tank seems redundant and wasteful. I use a modified geo method most of the time for the black tank and if I ever run out of the tank chemicals I have accumulated over the years I plan to try the happy camper stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a lot of people over think the tanks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Maybe this is an unusual question, but why do you want to clean it? It’s a holding tank and it supposed to do dirty work. It’s like asking how to keep a septic tank clean! If it smells use a toilet chemical or check your drain traps and air admittance valves. FWIW, I usually put a few gallons of water in both tanks after dumping and let it slosh while driving.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:34 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
There's a coating called struvite that builds up over time, even with proper management. It can prevent complete evacuation and clog the sensors, even in the gray tank.

I've not hat problems with the gray tank sensors, but always have had issues with the black tank sensors.

Fingers crossed that this stuff works like the website and video claim. Results mid April.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 AM   #12
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I've been using a Mixture that I found on the Kleen-Tank web site. Works great and after a year I still have one light after draining and flushing.
I use a one gallon Ice tea container (type with the large handle on one side)

Mix 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (I use the cheap stuff from Walmart) with enough water to just about fill a gallon jug.
Top off with a half cup of Calgon Bath Beads.
Use eight ounces in each tank (or more in especially hot weather or if your tanks will be filling up
slowly over time).
Old 03-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #13

Model: Ace 32.1
THOR #17614
Is your method a 1 time thing, or do you do it regularly?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smersal View Post
Is your method a 1 time thing, or do you do it regularly?
Oil and grease are the problem, so it depends on how often you wash dishes. Using paper plates and paper towels will keep the gray water tank clean. If you regularly wash dishes, pots and pans then it needs to be cleaned regularly. Everyone seems to use a different system. We used Camco gray water odor control for 15 years. Now we use a quarter-cup of Cascade liquid dishwasher soap in 5 gallons of water when we leave the campground. Since we usually do not stay in one place for more a week so it works for us.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #15

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I hardly ever look at the tank level displays for the gray and black tanks. My first couple of RVs didn't have them and I got used to winging it. My last coach the sensors were inoperative and in my current one I don't know if they work right or not. I rarely look at them. I always have some fluid in the waste tanks when travelling and the sloshing should keep any solids suspended so they can evacuate. I use Dawn to wash dishes, so the thought of adding more to clean the tank seems redundant and wasteful. I use a modified geo method most of the time for the black tank and if I ever run out of the tank chemicals I have accumulated over the years I plan to try the happy camper stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a lot of people over think the tanks.
My previous RV's I purchased them new and never had an issue with black or gray tanks. This MH I bought as a year old rental unit and I found out quickly that renters don't understand how a marine toilet works, or care. After it clogged on our first outing it took me a ton of effort to get the tank "clean". Since then because of the crappy design of the black tank and the passenger side toilet I use the dish soap as a surfactant to help lube the slide portion of the tank. It's cheap and it works.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #16
CHS

THOR #22388
I put one cup of my Kleen-Tank solution in the grey and 2 in the black tank (EVERY) time. I also use the black tank flushing system after every dump (well almost every time)
I also put some in the bathroom, and kitchen sink drain and a little in the bowl (on top of the seal) when I am going to store. The Calgone bath beads have a type of skin softener in it so I figure it will also keep the bowl seal from drying out. As for the sinks, it keeps the traps smelling nice.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #17
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
My previous RV's I purchased them new and never had an issue with black or gray tanks. This MH I bought as a year old rental unit and I found out quickly that renters don't understand how a marine toilet works, or care. After it clogged on our first outing it took me a ton of effort to get the tank "clean". Since then because of the crappy design of the black tank and the passenger side toilet I use the dish soap as a surfactant to help lube the slide portion of the tank. It's cheap and it works.
For me, it's a matter of keeping what you have in working order. I guess it's an OCD thing.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Struvite can form however it only does when high levels of magnesium hardness and phosphate are present

Very dense deposit and almost impossible to remove

Best thing for both tanks is an ounce of triple Dawn after dumping each time
Quote:
There's a coating called struvite that builds up over time, even with proper management. It can prevent complete evacuation and clog the sensors, even in the gray tank.

I've not hat problems with the gray tank sensors, but always have had issues with the black tank sensors.

Fingers crossed that this stuff works like the website and video claim. Results mid April.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:24 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
Quote:

We have been using Happy Camper since we first bought our Vegas. We also use Arm and Hammer washing soda. It’s a water softener that makes things inside the black tank slick. I use both of these after we empty our tanks. It’s worked well so far.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:05 AM   #20

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
I've been sooooo frustrated with the stupid sensors that show "1/3, 2/3, FULL" for 20+ years. I always have to wonder, is it 34% full or 65% full? On my new coach, I decided to go with the Garnet See Level external sensors and can't be more pleased. Not cheap, but accurate as hell. https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/products/ (not affiliated)
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote