Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 11:23 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Sort of off thread here but I have been wondering why there is even a separate tank for grey water. Can anyone tell me why they don’t just use one big tank for waste water and dump everything into it? It would be simpler and even cheaper and you’d never have to worry about having enough water in the black tank. It’s a real question.
Years ago WV allowed draining grey water on the ground. In fact we used a wash basin with soapy water to do dishes. When done, just threw it out. Have you taken a shower with soap and shampoo using your outdoor shower? Hmmmmmmmmm……….

Old 07-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #42

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
Lurch was played by Harvard graduate Fred Gwin, who, unfortunately passed away too early. He was good people!
Old 07-31-2021, 01:40 AM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzerj@comcast.net View Post
Lurch was played by Harvard graduate Fred Gwin, who, unfortunately passed away too early. He was good people!

No, he was played by Ted Cassidy…..
Old 07-31-2021, 01:44 AM   #44

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Years ago WV allowed draining grey water on the ground. In fact we used a wash basin with soapy water to do dishes. When done, just threw it out. Have you taken a shower with soap and shampoo using your outdoor shower? Hmmmmmmmmm……….

Indeed when we tent camped all of our water went into the woods. And the “solids” too! But with an RV now it’s ALWAYS against the rules and we all dump both tanks at the same dump station. Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:24 AM   #45

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzerj@comcast.net View Post
Lurch was played by Mamie Eisenhower.

Ted Cassidy played in, or didn't play in
Car 54 Where Are You
And was Howard Hughes' girlfriend for quite a while
and
was married to Aaron Spelling.

It's a Marilyn and Marilyn thing.

Grandpa was a child star who played as Charlie Chaplin.

Fred Gwynne was married to Patty Duke who was The Flying Nun.

None of these people knew Kevin Bacon.

The Original title of the series was
The Aadams Chronicles.

Two years ago some southern state told us to drain grey water into the very large river. We did not.
The large 200 space rv site had little ditches dug which lead to the river. Still legal in LA or AL or MS.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 AM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Technically, water from the kitchen sink or a dishwasher that comes into contact with food that could contaminate the water is Black water & contains harmful bacteria and disease-causing pathogens, so it really should/could be treated as sewage and one in the same as black tank. But shower water and washing your hands is perfectly safe and harmless in any river. If you think about it; animals and fish supply urine and feces to rivers; so some bacterial is natural and some rivers may need more to keep the balance?

But to the question. Some RVs are being built with a combination of black and grey water tanks. This makes the plumbing costs of manufacturers go down. This combined tank needs to be very large, which may be a problem in some RVs, so the separate tanks are most common.

My Thor blast for today.... The 27B I was looking to buy, not only had separate waste tanks, but they were in separate compartments So I would have had to move the sewer hose from the black tank and then move it to another wet bay compartment to drain the gray. May be in part why TMC discontinued that model
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:17 AM   #47

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
And the winner of the most off topic dumb response to the grey tank fell off is, envelope please....
47 responses and counting
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:02 AM   #48

THOR #17765
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
And the winner of the most off topic dumb response to the grey tank fell off is, envelope please....
We’re just waitin for the OP to show up again
Old 07-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #49

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Sort of off thread here but I have been wondering why there is even a separate tank for grey water. Can anyone tell me why they don’t just use one big tank for waste water and dump everything into it? It would be simpler and even cheaper and you’d never have to worry about having enough water in the black tank. It’s a real question.

Physically, it’s easier to find space for two small tanks, and also easier to support them due to smaller size and lower weight.

Functionally, it’s advantageous to be able to dump the black first and then follow with relatively cleaner grey water in order to rinse out the hose with “less dirty” waste water.

Having said that, use of macerator pumps changes the functional advantage mentioned above, so a single large tank can be practical if supported properly.

I recall seeing specs for a million dollar luxury motorhome that had a single 200-gallon waste tank. At other extreme there are Class Bs with a single small tank, but if I recall correctly, they had a macerator pump also.

I suppose that even without a pump (gravity dump only), a rinse system can be added to help clear hose of solid waste after dumping; prior to final rinse.

There is usually not just one right way to do most things.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Boy... are we off the tracks; or what?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1627738953
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trainwreck.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	32362  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #51

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post

This is like having us sequestered trying to solve a murder mystery, but there was no body or proof that a murder was committed; and it has been 2 weeks since the Judge ordered the prosecution to respond; and we are All still waiting.

When you finish with that envelope, may I have it? I got some more doodling to do until the OP comes back with pictures and status.

Docket Response [#000051]
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #52

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Boy... are we off the tracks; or what?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1627738953
There are no tracks on a silly op like this one.

The humor interjected on this site amounts to whistling past a graveyard because it's really scary the stuff people will try to pass off as true when they, in fact, can't find there black tank hole with both hands.

Sometimes when I see these
One and done posts
I imagine its a bored member or two here with huge post counts making new posts/members so we can laugh.

If you're bored, try to decipher who is who in my Lurch/Mamie post.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:39 PM   #53

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
My point has little to do with the OP or post, it's all about people who see the need to sidetrack, hijack, or ridicule someones post or question with BS that in no way relates. I guess it satisfies their need to yap.
Ignore list candidate.
Moaned multiple times without offering the help he said others weren't offering.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #54

Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
Its sad that someone came to the forum looking for help and their thread has been hijacked and morphed into an Adams family joke.

I see this same scenario in most threads on RV forums and I can only assume or guess its people with nothing better to do than stick their 2 cents into a conversation they have no business getting involved in.

Sure would be nice if only good valid information was shared !
I am disappointed by this also [emoji17]
Old 07-31-2021, 07:56 PM   #55

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeder View Post
I am disappointed by this also [emoji17]
The original post was made on 7/18. Several comments were made as to the tank and what caused it. Poster never responded. No pictures. Needed a 5 day fix. Hope he ( or she) gotir done.

Tags
grey water, replacement parts, tank