Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22b
State: New York
THOR #6388
greywater level indicator

I have a chateau 22B. recently the greywater tank indicator on the status panel show 1/3 full even after dumping the tank. I tried sensor cleaning to no avail. Any thoughts on a dirty sensor or other sensor issue?

Old 07-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
In all my years of RV ownership, the tank level indicators being wonky are what I think of as normal. I now empty the tanks based on experience not the sensors.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I think it's a case of, "learn to live with it."
Sorry!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Point in fact RV tank sensors suck. In several RV's we have owned over the years none of the sensors on the water tanks have been accurate. After dumping black, TP or solids can stick to a sensor and give a false reading. After dumping gray the sensors are usually wrong as they are still wet.
After you own a rig for awhile you will develop a 6th sense on when to dump the tanks.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:42 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Mine has external sensors so accumulated gunk isn’t a problem. They are no more accurate than any others. Personally, I think it’s some sort of a conspiracy. Reading the fluid level in a tank is not a scientific or engineering challenge yet here we all are!
Old 07-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pirate View Post
I have a chateau 22B. recently the greywater tank indicator on the status panel show 1/3 full even after dumping the tank. I tried sensor cleaning to no avail. Any thoughts on a dirty sensor or other sensor issue?
Just look on the bright side, it is also showing you that it is 2/3 EMPTY!

More than enough for a couple of days.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the stuck sensor club.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
With proper cleaning you can get them to read accurately, temporarily. As said, the reliability of the sensors is on par with other fine quality items in RVs so why should anyone expect different from these? On my Omni the black and grey full sensors are at the very top, VERY top. So when they read full, guess what, no warning and they are full. Draining they may read empty or 1/3. Bathroom sink is plumbed to black tank. Sink drain is higher than toilet. When sink stops draining, do NOT flush the toilet. No I didn't try it and immediately drained black tank. Somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 is the guessing game when to drain. Oh the fun of Rvs but I don't fret over it. Knowledge is power.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Mine has external sensors so accumulated gunk isn’t a problem. They are no more accurate than any others. Personally, I think it’s some sort of a conspiracy. Reading the fluid level in a tank is not a scientific or engineering challenge yet here we all are!
Hey Pete!
Just because you're paranoid: it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #10

Model: 26' Chateau Class C
State: Texas
THOR #6437
Tank sensors

In my 2015 Thor Chateau, the black & gray sensors are switched. It took a few times to figure this out. Gray is black and black is gray!!. I pay very little attention to what the sensors say. With 2 people I count on 4-5 days to empty black tank. You can tell when it starts sounding a little different. I leave my gray valve open for longer showers, dishwashing etc. until it's been about 4 days since last drained black tank then close the gray to have plenty of cleaner water going thru the hose after emptying the black. This method has worked well for me for years. I've never seen sensors work right in several rvs over the years
Old 08-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
With proper cleaning you can get them to read accurately, temporarily. As said, the reliability of the sensors is on par with other fine quality items in RVs so why should anyone expect different from these? On my Omni the black and grey full sensors are at the very top, VERY top. So when they read full, guess what, no warning and they are full. Draining they may read empty or 1/3. Bathroom sink is plumbed to black tank. Sink drain is higher than toilet. When sink stops draining, do NOT flush the toilet. No I didn't try it and immediately drained black tank. Somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 is the guessing game when to drain. Oh the fun of Rvs but I don't fret over it. Knowledge is power.
Please clarify:...(I'm confused) bathroom sink is plumbed to the black tank?...so I should assume that shower and kitchen sink is still plumbed to the grey water tank on your Motor Home...
I have a 24SJ Thor Citation on a Merc Sprinter chassis...would mine be the same configuration?
Old 08-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Bathroom sink may be plumbed to the black water tank for two reasons: 1) It's closer to the black tank thus easier/cheaper to do it that way. 2) Black tanks work best with copious amounts of water. Some recommend hold flusher down for 10 seconds. The more water, the less likely solids will stick and harden.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Check out these folks:
https://uniquecampingmarine.com/pages/the-unique-method
Download their PDF

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsy View Post
Please clarify:...(I'm confused) bathroom sink is plumbed to the black tank?...so I should assume that shower and kitchen sink is still plumbed to the grey water tank on your Motor Home...
I have a 24SJ Thor Citation on a Merc Sprinter chassis...would mine be the same configuration?
Correct the black tank gets stuff from the toilet and bathroom sink. Here's the fun part, when the black tank is full, it backs up in the bathroom sink. Make note to yourself, don't set your toothbrush in the sink. Today I was flushing the black tank from the last trip. Closed the gate valve to get some water in it to help the flush but I'm staying right there watching the level when I hear this water burp. Go in the bathroom and there's water splattered around the sink. Apparently as the black tank filled, pressure must have burped up the sink P trap. That doesn't give me much confidence in the tank vent.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Some models drain the bathroom sink into the black tank and some into the gray. You can either get the drawings or just open one dump valve while the bathroom faucet is on and the tank is empty. You want to see which it comes out of.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Take 10 minutes and go to the Thor Owner's Resource site, enter you vin and download the waste water diagram for your rig.

It's amazing how much you can learn about your individual rig with a little bit of time taken to download the information Thor makes available.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:24 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
I installed the See Level system and even that is not that accurate. When you see the water rising in the toilet bowl or water backs up in the shower pan, it's time to dump. You can get creative on the side of the road with grey water in an emergency but dump the black tank often if your not sure or have some grocery bags handy to place in the bowl or a pee cup works as well!!!