Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Michigan
THOR #19752
House Batteries draining

2014 Thor 30.1
Brand new batteries are getting drained.

Symptoms:
  • Low enough I have to start the chasis engine to kick on the generator, AC and heat.
  • When plugged into shore power all 110 outlets and fridge run fine, but 12v lights slowly dim.
  • i never hear the fan on the inverter/charger run
Diagnostics
  • All fuses in inverter/charger are good.
  • House Batteries were down to 8v, run the chasis enginge and get a 13.8 reading at batteries.
  • Batteries are at 12.7 right now, still reads 12.7 with chasis engine on. I am guessing it need to drop before it goes into charging mode
  • Drove 5 hours so the generator on(for house AC-does anyone else do that?), but did not get a voltage reading with just generator when batteries were low. running the batteries down now so i can test that
  • With the dim lights, when i start engine, then the lights brighten after 15 seconds
  • With the dim lights, starting the generator i hear a beep after 30 seconds, but lights still dim, kick on engine and after 15 seconds lights back on
Questions
  • Do you think my charger is just not working. It seems simple to replace, but don't want to replace it, if it is simply something else tripped.
  • I saw in another thread mentioning of breakers to the inverter and discussion of a BIM (can you define that). and where any of these other breakers would be
Thanks for the help

Old 08-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
You are looking at 2 different circuits. House batteries are normally charged from engine alternator directly, via an isolation solenoid, or from the converter, that uses 120VAC to convert to 12VDC. It sounds like the direct charging circuit, via the solenoid is working properly. You will need to troubleshoot the converter, first by verifying it is getting 120VAC. Then, if so, it's a matter of checking for output. You said you've checked fuses, and if so, and the fan isn't running, and you have 120VAC at the converter, you probably have a bad converter.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You need to figure out in you have a Converter for charging the house batteries as Harrys was discussing; or an Inverter/Charger as you posted in your post. They are not the same thing. In any case, whatever you have installed in the RV used to charge the house batteries is not putting a charge to the batteries. It may be the charging unit, the battery disconnect (not likely) or the DC breaker to the house batteries (also, not likely). I say "not likely" for the last two as it appears your house batteries are connected to the DC buss, they just aren't getting charged from the AC sources.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:30 AM   #4

THOR #19133
You are right, I read inverter/charger and my mind said converter. But, the principle should be the same? I've read about inverter/chargers that inverted just fine, but wouldn't charge.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #5

THOR #19752
Sorry for not getting back on this one in a timely manner.
I have a WFCO WF-8955-PEC

i checked and i have power available to the leads leading into the charger/converter.
with the batteries run down, no noise and fan on the charger does not spin up.

How does this thing know when to charge. i see a black line coming out connecting to a circuit breaker with another lead (bottom breaker in the picture), the white green to the respective spots on the panel. i would think there would be more wires. Seems like that it is only connect to provide power to the 110 and not even connected to the battery

unless that split wire is leading to something that should be charging the battery. My battery bank just has the 2 12v batteries in parallel, no extra leads to it.

If that component is truley dead are there any recommendations. I keep seeing references on the forum that the ones from the factory are junk. Looks real easy to replace. i just want to make sure it is currently all wired up correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200820_185356.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	25681  
Old 08-20-2020, 11:35 PM   #6

THOR #19752
Just watched 2 consecutive youtuve videos where they replaced the capcitors. Went out and checked and one of them is split on the top.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:02 AM   #7

THOR #19133
Here's the manual, with troubleshooting. Hope it helps. https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...Manual-web.pdf