Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #23504
Stuck Open Position: Fresh Water Valve

Hello, newbie here only had the RV since October.
Thor Chateau 25v 2021 Ford Chasis

We have only used the city water connection so didnt notice our fresh water tank issues until i was making sure everything was working properly before our cross country trip next week.

When i put water into the fresh water tank it immediately poured back out underneath the RV. After some digging (lots of digging) my tank valves are under the passenger side bed. Located what i think is the valve I need to turn to close but it will not budge. I tried pushing then turning, I tried turning, I tried pulling and turning but i dont want to break anything so I thought I would ask if anyone had any suggestions.

thanks!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:32 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach, but usually a fresh water tank drain would be co-located with the tank. Any chance you can attach a picture of the fresh tank drain valve so the forum can see what you are dealing with exactly? I have a style of drain valve with a ring through the drain pin (attached just for reference) which is a pull up hard to open (drain) and push down hard to close. Note the long white plastic pipe passes through the floor of the coach to drain the fresh water onto the ground. If your valve has finger tabs then usually just simply turning the tabs to be in line with the pex lines allows fluid to flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Closed.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	31551  
Old 06-23-2021, 02:05 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have a Thor Chateau 24F, and the 40 gallon fresh water tank is just left of the entrance door, under the kitchen sink area. By removing various kitchen drawers, I can access the drain handle... a vertical rod with a "T" handle similar to a dump valve handle.

Directly under the rig in that area is a short white PVC pipe sticking down from the tank. If I pull up that drain handle, the water blasts out of that PVC drain. Pushing the handle down closes the valve.

Are you SURE that's not the low point drains you're trying to turn? Then again, my low point drain valves are cheap little plastic buggers near the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191021_114948_copy_800x450.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	31553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_114450_copy_800x450.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	31554  

Old 06-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #4

THOR #23504
Thank you for the help, I checked under sink no luck here is a picture. I reached out to Thor customer care haven’t heard back yet. It’s the blue knob in pic, I looked for o-rings and nothing is jumping out near the pump
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EAC1D3E1-206A-4B0D-93DB-FA80FB1D81D7.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	31558   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE71571C-B184-494D-A993-669996B191B7.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	31559  

Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
The blue handle shown in the picture is in the open position. Has to turn 90 degrees to close.

Bill
Old 06-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #6

THOR #23504
It’s stuck will not turn, I tried turning, tried push and turn , tried pull and turn
Old 06-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by soliger View Post
It’s stuck will not turn, I tried turning, tried push and turn , tried pull and turn
No pus, no pull, just turn. The question is: Which way? It will only turn 90 degrees in one direction and the PVC ball valves can get "stuck" but they will turn with enough force.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by soliger View Post
Thank you for the help, I checked under sink no luck here is a picture. I reached out to Thor customer care haven’t heard back yet. It’s the blue knob in pic, I looked for o-rings and nothing is jumping out near the pump
That is a PVC ball valve and it's position in the picture shows it open. Those type valves can be stiff and it needs to be rotated 90* so that the blue handle is perpendicular to the line, not in line with it. Typically those valve like to be turned one way and there is a lip on the valve base that lets it turn the appropriate direction 90*. When I install one of those I set it up so that clockwise closes the valve. I enlarged the picture and it appears that it's installed that way. I assume you can reach that valve, move the wiring bundle out of the way and see if that flat lip on the valve base goes between the 3 and 6 O'clock position. That's the valves movement range.

I have used some of those type valves, 1" schedule 40 pipe in underground water supply to our bayou property. I made a T handle by taking a 1" schedule 40 T section and cutting it out so it slips over the handle and glue a section of pipe to the T end. Makes access to the valve reachable rather than laying on the ground. For your application, it may take 2 hands to rotate that valve the correct 90* to shut it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

THOR #23504
Thank you Chunker21 the lip is indeed between 3 and 6 o’clock I will try again after some coffee to turn it now that I know I’m doing the right thing! Thanks!

Tags
chateau, freshwater, valves