Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Minnesota
THOR #9262
2011 Hurrican 34U slide rain leak

The rain water leak is on the Rear/Bedroom slide when Closed. I noticed last fall that during rain storms the rear bedroom carpet was wet as you enter, entrance and near the sliding door. I went on the floor and looked on the underside of the bed frame which is above. I found water drops that ran the distance of the bedframe to the exterior wall. I had local RV dealer checked the seals (good) and they adjusted the ram. I had the same issue the next rain. The rain drop location is specific to the front and foot-end of bed frame. I've clear silicone caulked along all trim lines. There's no out-side window (2 on ends) on the slide. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas. Thanks,

Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
mine has done the same on several occasions, and I've noticed that it can primarily be attributed to the angle of the coach, when parked during storage, and the slides are all in. Water finds easy ways to infiltrate anyway it can, even when you have slide topper awnings. If the coach is tilted/angled just right, the water can actually run 'around' the awning edge, into the covered area right above the slide seal, and thru any tiny gap in the seal, then into the coach, and either runs off somewhere from the top of the slide, or down the end edge.

Crazy, but true. I have mine in storage now, and added a rag at each end, right at the corner of the awning, so that any water would 'follow' the rag down the outside edge, and not back into and under the awning and top slide seal. Seems to be working.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Slide awnings are not designed to prevent water from entering the coach. They are simply there to keep debris...leaves, pine needles , etc...from getting under the rubber flap when retracting the slide. So I wouldn't be concerned with those.

You mentioned you caulked around the slide trim. I found my Miramar was leaking slightly when tilted with driver/slide side up due to inadequate caulk around the lower facia trim of the slide. Water would leak in and get between the water proof undercover of the slide and the slide floor itself. When the slide was extended it would seep outside so it only appeared when the slide was in.

If you are certain that is NOT your problem then it has to be your rubber wipes and/or bulb seals. If you can extend the slide and see under the awning you should check to see if debris is preventing it from doing its job. If you find nothing there you should treat the rubber per instructions. I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-T...lide+lubricant

Any good treatment will work and you can find many online.

There are other possibilities to the leak but I think what I've mentioned are most likely.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I had a leak that was hard to find, only leaked when slide in. A "one ragger" even in heavy rain. It was the lower corner trim on the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide leak.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	15170  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I had a leak that was hard to find, only leaked when slide in. A "one ragger" even in heavy rain. It was the lower corner trim on the slide.
That's exactly where I found mine. I found it by using a garden hose while the slide was out and using a flashlight underneath the slide. I looked carefully until I found water slowly dripping from a screw that penetrated the water proof material on the underside.

I then proceeded to caulk all the lower facia trim on both slides as well as around the outside kitchen and TV, as well as the hot water heater and furnace. I don't know if those areas were leaking before but I know they are not now.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There or on top of that bottom molding (to the right of the arrow in that pic above by Hooligan2).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote