Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Heavy Oxidation

Michbout
I also am having the oxidation issues on my 2015 Axis, I have searched the Forum and other sites to find the cocktail to remedy the issues and will admit i have tried a few with no luck. I visited a local fiberglass shop to ask someone who deals with this problem and he recommended the Meguires 49, so I gave it a shot, I used a cloth application and added pictures of the results, I am happy to report that results are positive, I see your experience wasn't as pleasing, not sure if you were using the (49) or not and honestly don't have a clue what the differences are but I can report this this product worked well, I applied per instructions and applied Wax after.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So we just spent a good 8 hours or so going through the 3-step process using Meguiar's Oxidation removal kit (Amazon) (This includes the Oxidation Remover above combined with polish and wax).

Some observations:
  • Don't skimp on the Oxidation Remover: A thin coat doesn't cut it; need to get it nice and thick
  • Use a wheel if you can--this will make for a much more even application and better results
  • It really does get rid of the oxidation: Our coach went from a pasty/chalky look to a nice deep color
  • Be patient: Each item takes an apply/remove cycle thus going through this process is equivalent to waxing the coach 3 times
  • Perhaps find someone to do it for you (see previous point)

Yeah I'm in pain this morning LOL but the coach does look nice.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #23

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So we just spent a good 8 hours or so going through the 3-step process using Meguiar's Oxidation removal kit (Amazon) (This includes the Oxidation Remover above combined with polish and wax).

Some observations:
  • Don't skimp on the Oxidation Remover: A thin coat doesn't cut it; need to get it nice and thick
  • Use a wheel if you can--this will make for a much more even application and better results
  • It really does get rid of the oxidation: Our coach went from a pasty/chalky look to a nice deep color
  • Be patient: Each item takes an apply/remove cycle thus going through this process is equivalent to waxing the coach 3 times
  • Perhaps find someone to do it for you (see previous point)

Yeah I'm in pain this morning LOL but the coach does look nice.

What is a wheel I can’t find one
Old 09-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
What is a wheel I can’t find one
A Power buffer (Amazon). Edit: OOh I didn't even notice that one is cordless that would make it a lot easier not having to manage a cord (and having it come unplugged while on the roof!).

I know, this being the internet and all ("Pictures or it didn't happen"), well here (Not directing this at Hugh, just as an excuse to post pictures LOL):

The first picture is from back in May just after putting a coat of Rejex on our six year old coach, note that its a bit chalky and washed out:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-02 11.21.28 (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	25985
This one is this morning (so yeah some dew on it) but note the "deeper" tone of the color:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-06 08.12.14 (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	25986

Also note that the May picture is in the afternoon and thus there is direct sun on it and the "today" picture is from this morning; the sun is low off to the right (but still shining on it).
Old 09-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #25

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
A Power buffer (Amazon). Edit: OOh I didn't even notice that one is cordless that would make it a lot easier not having to manage a cord (and having it come unplugged while on the roof!).

I know, this being the internet and all ("Pictures or it didn't happen"), well here (Not directing this at Hugh, just as an excuse to post pictures LOL):

The first picture is from back in May just after putting a coat of Rejex on our six year old coach, note that its a bit chalky and washed out:
Attachment 25985
This one is this morning (so yeah some dew on it) but note the "deeper" tone of the color:
Attachment 25986

Also note that the May picture is in the afternoon and thus there is direct sun on it and the "today" picture is from this morning; the sun is low off to the right (but still shining on it).

WOW that is great
Old 09-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Glad it worked for you. Please let us know how long it lasts. It seems to be an ongoing issue.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Glad it worked for you. Please let us know how long it lasts. It seems to be an ongoing issue.
Yeah I'm not expecting much.

It will probably last at least until spring as we'll be covering the coach in a couple of months for winter.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
Thanks for the tip on the ZEP Floor Polish. I ended up getting the "Wet Look" Floor Polish.

Got one side of my RV done this morning. Sun was beating down on the other side in the afternoon so I held off until tomorrow morning. Will take my buffer to it then apply a second coat.

Did find out something "bad" right from the start! Got some of the ZEP on the "chrome plastic" rearview mirror. Tried to wipe it off and it only smeared and scarred the mirror mount.
Okay - so a little more than a year later - How does the Zep Floor Polish look on your RV?
Anyone else care to chime in?
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:29 AM   #29

State: California
THOR #19031
My friend used Zep and it all peeled off later. This guy on YouTube has gotten loads of great reviews. I tried what he uses including the orbital buffer and it does work. Read all the comments for more info on heavy oxidation. It is working on our 2016 Hurricane.

Just an FYI, I’ve had good results on the heavy oxidation on our 2016 Thor Hurricane using the products and techniques this guy on YouTube uses. He has loads of good reviews.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #30

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We came from boating and use Shurhold products. They were fantastic on boats. Our RV is a 2021 and we store indoors so we have no oxidation issues but have been waxing it this week. They have videos on application most with orbital polishers. Ours is glass and gel coat so it works for us and might be worth looking into for others.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #31

State: California
THOR #12125
Decent power polisher? What rpm range is needed

I’m going attempt this myself, need an appropriate power polisher that will get the job done but hopefully not break the bank.

What RPM range does the polisher need?

Any brand/model suggestions greatly appreciated.

Was thinking about this one but not sure if the RPMs go high enough?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-amp...der-56792.html
Old 06-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPartTimer View Post
I’m going attempt this myself, need an appropriate power polisher that will get the job done but hopefully not break the bank.

What RPM range does the polisher need?

Any brand/model suggestions greatly appreciated.

Was thinking about this one but not sure if the RPMs go high enough?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-amp...der-56792.html
Spend half as much and get a polisher. Things like that HF linked item are best left to the pros else you could burn the paint/gelcoat.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #33

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Depends on the polish/compound using. Thanks f you go to Sherhold website they have a number of videos on compound and waxing. Compounding is a lot slower than most people think. Low RPM and small amount works best. Random orbital is easier to use but small diameter. The 8-10 inch polishers cover more surface but you have to really pay attention to always keep it moving. Less margin for error. I know guys that went to a wrecking yard and bought a trashed trunk lid and practiced before putting a polisher to their half million dollar boat.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:13 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
I apply the wax with a Web 6010 6 inch wacer/polisher 50$ cdn, wax used was mirage 2000 oxydation remover and wax, Will Do IT twice a year, very safe to use, not heavy to handle

When polishing I use a Simoniz 6" double action 190$ cdn
The speed used or rpm is 4000 rpm, i was happy with the results,

Had It done by a shop 2 years back 1400$ later, Will not take that road anymore, the rv is not full paint, this is hard reality with fiberglass and gelcoat

Test a small area , like a door panel to start.

Good luck
Michel