Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
Heavy oxidation on vegas 24.1 2016

I have tried to restore the finish with the Meguiars oxidation remover and Boat/Rv polish, disappointed with the result. Did it by hand, was told that these 2 products cannot be applied on decals. I'm at a point to have it sent to a shop to be done. I would appreciate any suggestions. I did apply the product as recommended. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200722_164926033.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	25625  

Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

Model: Pinnacle 300
State: Arizona
THOR #20005
The terms "heavy oxidation" and "by hand" rarely play well together.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree...
Before calling in the Professionals: can you try using it with an orbital buffer on a small section?

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’ve got 3 words for you...

ZEP Floor Polish

It works great
I use it on my top & front fiberglass cap, also along the rear top.
Leaves a beautiful polished look

Best way to apply is to use a spray bottle and a micro-fiber cloth
Spray on cloth...then wipe & shine
Usually a few coats is all you need

Search this Forum or Google for best info on how-to, results, long-term maintenance.

Remember, use the Polish not the Wax.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:36 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Thanks for the tip on the ZEP Floor Polish. I ended up getting the "Wet Look" Floor Polish.

Got one side of my RV done this morning. Sun was beating down on the other side in the afternoon so I held off until tomorrow morning. Will take my buffer to it then apply a second coat.

Did find out something "bad" right from the start! Got some of the ZEP on the "chrome plastic" rearview mirror. Tried to wipe it off and it only smeared and scarred the mirror mount.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We used to use Mop n Glo on shoes as a high gloss polish.
It turned lily white when it got wet.
I have two bottles here I bought for some other project than shoes. It worked wonders... I'll be damned if I remember.....i think I was sealing a pumpkin or some dumb crap. I know it was a chore to find it and it worked perfectly... I hope it was something better than sealing a damn pumpkin....

Punchline is:
Formulas change.
I'd triple check that floor wax you're putting on your rv.
Some might remember an old post where the op put some concoction on her rv and had to have a pro take it off to the tune of $800. She was so exasperated she sold the rv before even using it.
Dealer to driveway, bad wax, wax company fixed it, sold right in the same space initially parked... Unmoved.

Go to a pro. Why aggregate the aggravation for yourself? You've already jacked up the mirror mount. It'd be a shame to find out the long term affects ofi an untested product.
Pros have the tools and the know how and the chemicals to do it right.

Drop off
Be pleasantly surprised
Write check
Drive home.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #8

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
I'm sorely confused how any wax will fix oxidation? Oxidation is a weathering of the surface of the paint, and the only way to fix that, is to remove the oxidized surface paint entirely. Floor wax, or household wax of any kind is not designed to stand weathering, sun, UV rays, rain etc. and is not formulated to be put on automotive surfaces. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I'm sorely confused how any wax will fix oxidation? Oxidation is a weathering of the surface of the paint, and the only way to fix that, is to remove the oxidized surface paint entirely. Floor wax, or household wax of any kind is not designed to stand weathering, sun, UV rays, rain etc. and is not formulated to be put on automotive surfaces. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
I don’t use wax
I use a floor polish
You might see this product being used on Saltillo tiles, driveway pavers, or Stamp-Crete.
It does fine on a fiberglass RV for about a year.
EZ to apply as I stated above
I’ve had excellent success with it
Old 08-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I never used the Floor polish on my RV but the way I see it is .... if your RV looks like cr@$ then try the floor wax (or take to a pro if you dont mind spendin $$).

I bet it will add a shine to the finish and it will make it look better from like 10 / 20 foot way. I would clean the oxidation up the best you can first (might even use alcohol to wipe clean afterwards) then appy the floor polish. Many swear by Zeps.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
The Zeps should fill in the low spots (cracks/scraches etc) and add mega shine to your finish.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #12

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Old 08-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #13

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Yes, I reviewed that video prior to using Zep Floor Polish on the front Fiberglass Cap and rear Top Cap of my Vegas.

Prior to using the Zep Floor Polish, I would use a power buffer and good coat of high quality Auto wax on those two areas. Yet they would fade & oxidize very quickly.

I keep my RV under hard cover when not in use. So the limited time it’s in the hot California sun, the wax would not eliminate the fade & oxidation.

So, for me, Zep Floor Polish is a perfect solution.

It has not flaked off thus far, but if it does begin to flake in those two areas...I can lightly scrub with a MrClean pad and then re-apply.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #14

State: West Virginia
THOR #10582
Ken

Do yourself a lot of work and make it look like new. First I used this on a 2000
A glass just a few years ago made it look like a new one and the decals looked new as well. I purchased a 2017 model now the sun made the front painted cap fade. Now here’s the product and you can buy it from Amazon. Poly prep / Poly Glow. Clean it with the prep first not hard to do. Next use the Poly Glow it takes five applications but very easy to put on drys fast! It will look like new even the stickers. Every year you put one coat on it simple. Note I mentioned the 2000 A class I sold this unit the same day I put it up for sale it shinned like new
Old 08-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #15

THOR #7660
Poli Glow system. I have tried it, and it works fine.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We used to use Mop n Glo on shoes as a high gloss polish.
It turned lily white when it got wet.
I have two bottles here I bought for some other project than shoes. It worked wonders... I'll be damned if I remember.....i think I was sealing a pumpkin or some dumb crap. I know it was a chore to find it and it worked perfectly... I hope it was something better than sealing a damn pumpkin....

Punchline is:
Formulas change.
I'd triple check that floor wax you're putting on your rv.
Some might remember an old post where the op put some concoction on her rv and had to have a pro take it off to the tune of $800. She was so exasperated she sold the rv before even using it.
Dealer to driveway, bad wax, wax company fixed it, sold right in the same space initially parked... Unmoved.

Go to a pro. Why aggregate the aggravation for yourself? You've already jacked up the mirror mount. It'd be a shame to find out the long term affects ofi an untested product.
Pros have the tools and the know how and the chemicals to do it right.

Drop off
Be pleasantly surprised
Write check
Drive home.
Our 2016 ACE’s finish has faded. Is that the same as oxidation? If so, what type of pro would we take it to. We have assumed it would have to be repainted?
Old 08-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #17

THOR #6557
Heavy Oxidation

Good news is we have a 2017 Axis that had heavy oxidation. Hired a professional company who came to our RV. It took 2 men 3 days. It looks better than new. Expensive at $900.00 but looks great.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #18021
Poly Glo

I'm a fan of the Poly Glo. I treated our Four Winds 28Z C-class with it this spring. It looks fantastic. It's a lot of work to do the process. It took me a little over two day to complete it. Good preparation is important. Hope this helps.

https://www.poliglowproducts.com/#/

Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #19

Model: HURRICANE 35C
State: Florida
THOR #16807
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
I have tried to restore the finish with the Meguiars oxidation remover and Boat/Rv polish, disappointed with the result. Did it by hand, was told that these 2 products cannot be applied on decals. I'm at a point to have it sent to a shop to be done. I would appreciate any suggestions. I did apply the product as recommended. Thanks for your help.
Mine wasn't what you call "heavily oxidized" but the detailers used "Soft Scrub" to remove it before polishing.

Good Luck, Bob
Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #20

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
Thor will never be blamed for putting on too good a paint job. Most, the tan colors anyway, will oxidize over a few years. Some of the polishes only make it worse.in fact a lot of them. I've tried a couple and fortunately, where it scuffed the finish is not too noticeable. Whatever shine was there is gone. I've used Turtle wax hard coat and so far, it looks good...good shine and it's been about 2 months in the FL sun and rain. It will never look like full body paint and clear coat but twice a year, a wax job is doable...for now. For a bus, give yourself at least 2 days to so the job and work on the shady side only...the sun will dry it out too fast and it will be a bear to get off.