Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
help 2020 vegas spare tire

what does anyone do for a spare tire or just call Roadside?

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
See this thread on the same topic- https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...eel-24109.html

David
Old 11-15-2020, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I have a 2017 24.1 and found a place for a spare tire under and in back of fuel tank. I made a hanger and put mine there. I sleep better now.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Some do not carry a spare and some do carry one. I carry one attached to my trailer hitch on a trailer hitch mount. When I start bringing my toad, I plan on placing the spare inside the toad(2014 Ford Flex).

Paul
Old 11-15-2020, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
In my old coach I changed the tire if I has a flat as it came with a spare. My new coach has no spare, so it will be roadside assistance if I ever have a flat.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thx all
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well after I had a blow out last spring on a Sunday Night and after waited 4 hours for Road side .....I manufactured my own brackets to install my own Spare tire.

Its not very hard and now I can now change my own tire in 30 min or less. If your NOT fit I can see waiting.

And if I had a Big 22.5 inch rim I would not attempt (well I might once LOL). But the 16 inch E class rim is not bad to manhandle.

I like doing everything myself when possilbe so it drives me crazy to wait 4 hours then pay somone to do something I could have done myself.

See my link below. I hope this helps.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...450-22235.html
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I' ve got roadside assistance, and a pretty fair amount of patience.
To me:
It's not worth chewing up storage capacity and the cargo weight allowance...
Old 11-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I carry a spare, and a Torque multiplier(40ish dollars. Buy one and if you don't ever use it, you'll at least be a hero to someone else three or four times in three or four year) and an industrial type tire plug kit, and a trio of compressors. The 12v and the 110v came with the rv, the ryobi is mine. I also have a converted scuba tank, but ya gots ta stop Somwhars.

I don't do it to save money on a roadside call.
We inadvertently have FOUR roadside assistance plan when you count the extended warranty, Ford, my auto insurance and good Sam.

I carry a spare and the tools so I don't have to have my stressful potentially dangerous situation impacted further by incompetence of someone I don't know, in an area I'm not familiar with, as regard to their new, or inexperienced, or stoned, or stupid guy they might potentially send to do the job.
Their low tire inventory, their lack of staff, their broken tool, their inability, the holiday weekend, the snow storm they're on a call to 100 miles away will impact me far less if I do what's needed to take up their slack.
And
Tip your tire changer/tow truck driver, heartily.
Ask him how many kids at home, calculate, buy the family dinner.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
FOUR plans at once?
Call all of them, and sell tickets to the ensuing fistfights...
Old 11-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
A several comments on calling roadside service. I have had to use it 4 times over 30 years for various RVs. I have always carried an aired up spare.

How to get the road service to find you. First question from the service is; are you stopped on a safe place off the highway if not call 911. Geo coordinates usually don't work. What the service need is a mile marker or distance and direction from a medium size town, the number of the highway or county road and the direction of travel. The next question will be what kind of vehicle are you driving and do you need a tow truck? When you tell the operator you need a new tire, question will be do you have a serviceable, aired-up spare tire. They need to know if you need a road service vehicle or a tire store truck come to your rescue. Hopefully you will never need a strange size tire over the weekend (like a 245/70-19.5) A couple times the service was unable to find a truck to come out and change a tire even though I was on the shoulder of a US numbered highway. That is when you call the state highway patrol or police and ask who they call for road service in your area. After the service you called has fixed the coach, you can then send the road service bill along with the time you called the road service operator and the name person that was unable to find a service truck you. Both The Hartford and Good Sam have always reimbursed me for the road service charges.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #12

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
See this thread on the same topic- https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...eel-24109.html

David

They are all the same rims, only thing is, they are only polished on one side, so the shiny side should stay out. Can’t rotate tires without compromising that. The inside duals are not polished on mine.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I' ve got roadside assistance, and a pretty fair amount of patience.
To me:
It's not worth chewing up storage capacity and the cargo weight allowance...
Luckily I had the room under my RV to make a bracket. Plus im not maxed out on my weight.

I always run into the worse case senerios (like Ducksface mentioned). So I rather have the correct tire and the equiment to replace myself. Even if I was not phyically able .... at least I have the stuff need for roadside or a fellow camper to help me.

I always offer my services to Fellow campers in trouble when possible.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I always offer my services to Fellow campers in trouble when possible.
That's what the torque multiplier is about. My 99 dollar ryobi impact drill removes my lugnuts just fine but it might not remove YOUR lugnuts. Thus, the multiplier.
I also carry snatch straps and what is known as
Soft shackles.
I can likely get most of you out out of a ditch or soft spot with them.

I too am far far under the SUGGESTED weight capacity and have empty bins and bins added where the factory didn't.

While I'm not responsible for you all, I do have a responsibility to you all.
I carry these, I expect a doctor to carry an epipen....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
That's what the torque multiplier is about. My 99 dollar ryobi impact drill removes my lugnuts just fine but it might not remove YOUR lugnuts. Thus, the multiplier.
I also carry snatch straps and what is known as
Soft shackles.
I can likely get most of you out out of a ditch or soft spot with them.

I too am far far under the SUGGESTED weight capacity and have empty bins and bins added where the factory didn't.

While I'm not responsible for you all, I do have a responsibility to you all.
I carry these, I expect a doctor to carry an epipen....
Yep this is true. I like that Doctor analogy. LOL.

I loosened up and added anti seize to all my lugnuts when I purchased her 3 years ago. Then last year I broke them all loose and re-torqed.... just to be sure I could get them off when on the road.

I have a large breaker bar along with my RYobie inpact.

I also have a 30 foot snached strap with HD D ring shackles.

Sound like our RV's are loaded up similar ..... Great minds think alike.

Im the guy that gets the one defective tire (1 out of 10000 chance) or cut fuel line, broken U joint etc.....but 99% of the time I can fix it myself if I had the tools. And if its somethig simple and I DONT have the tools i will be kicking myself for two days afterwards. So I try to be prepared.... even if I never use it.... I realy think because Im so prepared I have less trouble?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #16

THOR #19571
My roadside clearly states that I must have a spare ready to go for roadside to come out.
I bought a wheel from etrailer.com and then had my local tire shop find me a match for the Hangooks. Altogether about half of the cost from a RV dealer or Ford. Lucky for me my Chateau had a cavity in the rear storage for the assembly. My previous Freedom Elite had a post on the rear bumper.
PRO-TIP!
Most 16" dually wheels only have a 5.35 offset. The Ford chassis needs 5.5 offset to not rub on the brake calipers. If you have a 5.35 you can only use it on the outside rear and may have to swap wheels around depending upon which tire went flat.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Good question. We planned a month long trip to California and did not take a car with us, Just the Windsport 29m. I thought if I have a flat, the tires on that thing aren't available just anywhere. I got a RoadMaster tire carrier, a tire and mounted it to a rim and carried it with us. All you need then is to make a cup of coffee and wait for a service truck to come and change it out, then find a place to patch it---HOPEFULLY!!!! If not buy another new one. Plan for the worst but hope for the BEST!!!!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
THOR #20441
Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier
OEM Ford Dually Wheel
Matching Tire
Tire Cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_122456.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27360
Old 11-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier
OEM Ford Dually Wheel
Matching Tire
Tire Cover

Attachment 27360
Very cool, this is exactly what we have and put in a receiver to pull our car too!!!
Old 11-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #20

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
I seem to recall ducks face was looking for a spare tire and wheel some time back. I have a brand new, never used spare tire mounted on a steel wheel which came as sa spare tire with my 2018 Thor Vegas. We traded in the Vegas on a larger coach. My eMail is salzerj@comcast.net I live in Central NJ.