Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2019, 01:07 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maryland
THOR #16979
Help ASAP Vegas Over Cab Bunk Not Working/Crooked

Heading out on a 6 day trip with every night in a new place. We have a 2016 vegas. We used the over cab bunk in October. Today we tried to put the over cab bunk down and it is crooked. At first it would not move at all. Eventually after a while we got it down. Then it took just as long to get it up. Its almost like the motor on one side is giving out.

We fear not only having it stuck down and not being able to drive or maybe worse, putting two teen boys into the same blowup mattress couch bed every night

Does anyone have any advice? For the bunk, not the teens

Thanks!!!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Extend it all the way (down or up) and hold the switch for an extra 4-5 seconds when it reaches the end. Then move it all the way the other way holding the switch for an extra 4-5 seconds at the end the other way. Do this for a few times and it should even out.

Once its even always hold the switch for that extra 4-5 seconds when either lowering or raising the bunk. (Holding the switch re-times the motors.)

If it stops completely and you need to reset the controller open up the false panel on the left of the cabinet above the sink--that is where the controller is.

We've used this procedure every time we raise or lower the bunk and, so far, it has worked every time.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

THOR #16979
Thanks JamieGeek! We tried your advice this morning. It did not work. It sounds even more like the motor is going on one side. Will play with it more tonight at the in-laws. We are driving by a camping world this afternoon. Not sure if they will be open, but if they are we will see what they say.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
what's the VOLTAGE showing on your battery bank? Sounds like you have low House batteries.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

THOR #16979
We were plugged into 110 this morning. Not sure how charged the batteries were. They will be fully charged when we stop later today.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm going to suggest if the known good battery doesn't fix it(only try once), leave it alone.
If you mess with it enough, and get it low enough, you'll spend a fortune gettiing a guy out to fix it because your rv WON'T BE DRIVEABLE.
Buy two 2x4 have HD cut them to length, brace it up, call it good.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The bunk is the same system as you slides. Is the controller for the bunk flashing any codes?
Old 12-25-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sync your motors:

Same procedure as a slide:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

State: New York
THOR #10658
We have a THOR Palazzo, and at times we discovered when one side stopped and the other side continued down that one side was catching on part of the coach structure. Check for clearances on the side that doesn't come down properly. It didn't catch every time but it did catch, most annoying. Good Luck.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #10

Model: Ace 27.2
State: Ontario
THOR #11699
I had the same issue with the ACE. Thor does not use the proper bolts to secure to the front of the cabin at the factory. One side will start pulling out and cause the bed to become uneven and hard to open and close. I had mine fixed under warranty so I am not sure which bolts are proper but I believe you are suppose to use large thread lag bolts.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
I had the same issue with the ACE. Thor does not use the proper bolts to secure to the front of the cabin at the factory. One side will start pulling out and cause the bed to become uneven and hard to open and close. I had mine fixed under warranty so I am not sure which bolts are proper but I believe you are suppose to use large thread lag bolts.
Doesn't help the OP: the ACE bed and the Vegas/Axis bed are not the same.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We had this issue on yhe overhead bed in our Palazzo. We found bolts loose on the connection between the lift wire and the bed platform. I fixed that, resynched the motors and that fixed it. To resynch use a board to brace the high side, turn switch to lower, and the high side should drop a few inches then stall. Turn switch to up for 1 second, stop, go back down till stall. Repeat till level. Then remove brace and go to full down position, holding in stop position for 5 seconds.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #17426
We had the same issue and found that the wires were pinched on the opposite side from the side that wouldn’t go up.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #14

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardspecial View Post
Heading out on a 6 day trip with every night in a new place. We have a 2016 vegas. We used the over cab bunk in October. Today we tried to put the over cab bunk down and it is crooked. At first it would not move at all. Eventually after a while we got it down. Then it took just as long to get it up. Its almost like the motor on one side is giving out.

We fear not only having it stuck down and not being able to drive or maybe worse, putting two teen boys into the same blowup mattress couch bed every night

Does anyone have any advice? For the bunk, not the teens

Thanks!!!
Our bed did the same thing...one of hte pins dropped out that they use to keep it in place, we hit some of the usual bumps on I95 and it dropped about 3 in. I took it down as far as it would go, got my back into it on the low side, pushed like crazy, and retracted it....it worked and went back up level....never to be operated again as long as I own this buggy. Also, taped the pins so they don't drop out again.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #15

THOR #16979
UPDATE: Replaced the motor on both sides.

We purchased two Lippert 236575 RV In-Wall Slide-Out Motor from Amazon.

Bunk working fine now!

I should add we kept up with the thread and tried all the syncing etc. Nothing worked. The bunk kept making weirder grinding noises and got worse every day.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old 07-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #16

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I had an issue this morning raising the cab bunk after it was in the fully down position.
And I was in a location where I could not open my slide, so it made for tight quarters while finding the fix so that I could drive my rig.

- First, the driver’s seat belt clip got stuck somewhere in the track. So that stopped the up motion, and the bed got unlevel
- Second, the upholstery on the panel on driver’s wall that hides the bunk track, got caught in the track, causing more unlevel issues

All told, it was a bit of a mess getting it re-synch’d after removing the upholstered panel and ensuring the seat belt was completely out of the way.

But, bottomline, by following all the instructions in the previous posts (all the way down, hold 5 seconds, all the way up, hold 5 seconds) I was able to fix & re-synch while on-the-road with my grandson.

Thank you Thor Forum!
Old 07-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #17

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I had an issue this morning raising the cab bunk after it was in the fully down position.
And I was in a location where I could not open my slide, so it made for tight quarters while finding the fix so that I could drive my rig.

- First, the driver’s seat belt clip got stuck somewhere in the track. So that stopped the up motion, and the bed got unlevel
- Second, the upholstery on the panel on driver’s wall that hides the bunk track, got caught in the track, causing more unlevel issues

All told, it was a bit of a mess getting it re-synch’d after removing the upholstered panel and ensuring the seat belt was completely out of the way.

But, bottomline, by following all the instructions in the previous posts (all the way down, hold 5 seconds, all the way up, hold 5 seconds) I was able to fix & re-synch while on-the-road with my grandson.

Thank you Thor Forum!
Here’s a photo of the damaged upholstery panel and what it looks like when removed…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33288F44-EEAF-4CC3-89F8-D9F12A480A6E.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	32180   Click image for larger version

Name:	350704D6-2F2C-4D36-8CF2-2838FD5E4114.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	32181