Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2022, 03:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
HELP! Awning Issue

2017 ACE 30.2. Awning won’t extend or retract…have verified voltage to the rocker switch (no remote), and verified that the switch is definitely functioning properly. Fuse is good. Used another 12 volt battery to verify that the awning motor is good.
This is where it gets weird. There is 12 volt power going to the awning motor…sort of. The wire coming out of the outside wall is comprised of two smaller wires inside, each carrying twelve volts to the awning motor. From what I understand, the awning switch basically reverses the polarity of the two wires to change the direction in which the motor turns, this running the awning “in” or “out”. When I test these wires with a voltage meter, I get 12.7 volts on BOTH wires when the switch is pressed to “in” (same happens if reverse the legs on the switch; both wires register 12.7 volts when the switch is pressed to “out”). If I’m thinking correctly, only one wire should have 12.7 volts when the switch is pressed one way, and the other wire should have voltage when the switch is pressed the other way. An electrician I ain’t, but this makes no frikkin sense to me.
To top it all off, the motor will run for maybe a second in one direction, then goes dead. If there were a short, seems to me like the 15 amp fuse would blow, but the fuse is fine. This is infuriating…WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING? Help!

Old 06-24-2022, 03:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Ground. You're missing the ground.

You have 12 VDC to ground on both wires going through the motor but there is no current flow through the motor because the negative side of the switch is not being connected to ground.

This may be due to the engine interlock - I don't know if it interrupts the + side or the - side. You DO have the engine off and key removed from the ignition?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ground. You're missing the ground.

You have 12 VDC to ground on both wires going through the motor but there is no current flow through the motor because the negative side of the switch is not being connected to ground.

This may be due to the engine interlock - I don't know if it interrupts the + side or the - side. You DO have the engine off and key removed from the ignition?
Engine is off. Keys are out.
The switch has a positive wire (coming from fuse panel), a ground wire, and two wires going to the motor. I’m assuming the awning electrical components are grounded at/through the switch?
Old 06-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Mine won’t go out with the ignition key on. I never tried to roll it in with the ignition on. Have you turned the ignition on and off a few times? If all else fails, and you need to get home, I think you can take the cap off and roll it in manually with a ratchet.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
The switch has a positive wire (coming from fuse panel), a ground wire, and two wires going to the motor. I’m assuming the awning electrical components are grounded at/through the switch?
This is a simple schematic of how the switch is wired to provide power to the awning motor. It does not show fuses or interlocks.

You have an open circuit between the negative side of the battery and wherever you are measuring on the wires to/from the motor to ground, likely the negative side of the switch.

Suspected open area highlighted.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #6

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
Check the outside wires very well.
I had the same issue hit or miss operation and found a couple of very fine cracks in the wire by wiggling the wire while my wife held the switch.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
An easy mistake to make is retracting in the wrong direction...if your awning is extended and you press the extend button, it will still retract but it will wind up in the opposite direction "over itself". If its retracted and you're trying to extend it...press the retract button. May not be your issue but this happens more times than one would think. It's an easy mistake to make in a hurried breakdown from camping.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
2017 ACE 30.2. Awning won’t extend or retract…have verified voltage to the rocker switch (no remote), and verified that the switch is definitely functioning properly. Fuse is good. Used another 12 volt battery to verify that the awning motor is good.
This is where it gets weird. There is 12 volt power going to the awning motor…sort of. The wire coming out of the outside wall is comprised of two smaller wires inside, each carrying twelve volts to the awning motor. From what I understand, the awning switch basically reverses the polarity of the two wires to change the direction in which the motor turns, this running the awning “in” or “out”. When I test these wires with a voltage meter, I get 12.7 volts on BOTH wires when the switch is pressed to “in” (same happens if reverse the legs on the switch; both wires register 12.7 volts when the switch is pressed to “out”). If I’m thinking correctly, only one wire should have 12.7 volts when the switch is pressed one way, and the other wire should have voltage when the switch is pressed the other way. An electrician I ain’t, but this makes no frikkin sense to me.
To top it all off, the motor will run for maybe a second in one direction, then goes dead. If there were a short, seems to me like the 15 amp fuse would blow, but the fuse is fine. This is infuriating…WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING? Help!
If you have a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning, forget everything you think about how awnings work. The awning control module is located next to the more in the forward portion of the roller. There are five wires in the harness. The black is ground and the red is 12 volt power from the power center, so the the control module is always powered or else the auto retract would not work. The wires that go to the in/out (extend/retract) switch only provided direction to the control module and the movement is controlled by the modules logic. It not necessary to hold the switch in after the direction is selected.
The control wires are colored brown, gray and yellow. Yellow is the sense wire. Connect brown to yellow and the awning will start the retraction process. This process will continue until the motor stalls for 2 seconds and the the module will remove current from the motor and lock the roller To extend the awning the gray wire to the yellow. this will start the extension process with the module monitoring the current. When there is a dramatic increase in current the controller controller knows the awning is fully out and started to retract. It reverses the motion for 2 seconds to position the roller correctly for the LED light strip then shuts off current to the motor.
The Carefree of Colorado Latitude owners manual explains all of this operation and is available on line. Trouble shooting is contained in the installation manual. There is a list of all Thor MC plant 750 Installed equipment on the inside of the bedroom closet door. Your make and model of patio awning will be located there.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:27 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
You said when you push the button lets say in and you have 12 volts on both wires. That doesn't make sense, only one wire should have 12 volts at a time. Did you try to disconnect one of the wires. If it either goes in or out then I would think it's the switch. But like they said how is it grounded. The wires switch push it one way and the one wire is positive and the other wire is negative
and then pushing it the other way one wire is positive and the other is negative. The two wires in the middle are the awning wires https://youtu.be/Y9IwkK18mrQ
Old 06-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you have a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning, forget everything you think about how awnings work. The awning control module is located next to the more in the forward portion of the roller. There are five wires in the harness. The black is ground and the red is 12 volt power from the power center, so the the control module is always powered or else the auto retract would not work. The wires that go to the in/out (extend/retract) switch only provided direction to the control module and the movement is controlled by the modules logic. It not necessary to hold the switch in after the direction is selected.
The control wires are colored brown, gray and yellow. Yellow is the sense wire. Connect brown to yellow and the awning will start the retraction process. This process will continue until the motor stalls for 2 seconds and the the module will remove current from the motor and lock the roller To extend the awning the gray wire to the yellow. this will start the extension process with the module monitoring the current. When there is a dramatic increase in current the controller controller knows the awning is fully out and started to retract. It reverses the motion for 2 seconds to position the roller correctly for the LED light strip then shuts off current to the motor.
The Carefree of Colorado Latitude owners manual explains all of this operation and is available on line. Trouble shooting is contained in the installation manual. There is a list of all Thor MC plant 750 Installed equipment on the inside of the bedroom closet door. Your make and model of patio awning will be located there.
Just an fyi. My Carefree awning doesn’t work this. Got to hold the switch until extended or retracted.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:01 PM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
I concur with 16ACE27 if you are measuring the + on one wire and the - lead to ground (frame). You need to place both leads onto the two motor wires, meter will deflect + with sw applied one way and deflect - when operated the other. Having both leads on the wires when the sw is operated will prove the connections to that point and if the volts drop to ~0V then there may be a loose neg connection as 16ACE27 pointed out, the reason the motor operates for a sec then stops.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
Check the outside wires very well.
I had the same issue hit or miss operation and found a couple of very fine cracks in the wire by wiggling the wire while my wife held the switch.
Good find!
Old 06-24-2022, 10:08 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Just an fyi. My Carefree awning doesn’t work this. Got to hold the switch until extended or retracted.
My switch works like yours. It would scare the crap out of me if a press of the button would cause the Awning to fully extend. I know some are wired that way, but I think it is a risk that I would rather not have.

Also, I think that it is dangerous for the auto retract unit to retract when the winds pick up. If I notice rough winds coming, I don't retract right away because the awning could get caught like a parachute. I wait a few minutes until the wind calms and then retract. There have been times I was retracting, noticed a gust and reversed it to fully extend again. The fabric on the awning can withstands gust of winds better than when the arms are retracting. The awning fabric is also looser and it will make like a parachute if gust gets underneath.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #13

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Oh, don't get hung up on the diagram supplied...
It could be wired with the battery connected to the "end" of the switch and the motor wires connected to the center terminals and still operate the same with the "X" wired in.

Both ways are "correct".

Old 06-24-2022, 10:29 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Could be the rapid response module is not install as it is in my Hurricane. You could take the cap of the forward roller cover see if the module is there. If the awning is out, wrap on the motor end twice with a squeegee handle or some other handle and see if it retracts automatically. The rapid Response module is available separately and can be refitted to any Latitude Patio Awning. It has saved my patio awning at least twice.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning motor