Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 01:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #12702
HELP battery and fuse problem

I removed the battery from our Freedom Elite (2017) 29 ft to charge, when re-installing apparently a fuse blew as I have no power to the control box for the gen or the other functions on the box. the engine starts and runs well when the battery and the connections are not hooked up but upon hooking the connections the motor home engine stutters and almost wants to stop and then start again. I have disconnected the cables to the battery and the engine runs but with no power to lights, gen and other things. I know the fuse panel is in the bedroom at the end of the bed but with no power to the slide outs I can't get to the fuse box. Anyone have a suggestion as what to do. The cables to the battery are three red ends and one yellow. when removing them off and putting them back on the three red went to pos and the yellow was neg. any idea's accepted.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:01 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I am trying to understand your post. You removed the house battery to charge? When u reinstalled perhaps u popped the breaker in the battery bay. There should be a 50 or 100 amp breaker in the battery bay. Look for a red or yellow flag and push it back in to reset.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:37 AM   #3

THOR #12702
thank you

thank you for your answer but after locating the yellow flag you mentioned (which by the way was mounter on the outside of the battery box near the top) and resetting it , the problem still exist's, no power to anything with or without the battery connected and when the cables are connected and the motorhome engine running the motor stalls out to almost stopping and then runs for a few seconds then stalls and repeats. I don't want to run the engine with the cables connected as I don't know how or why it affects the engine
Old 09-06-2020, 02:41 AM   #4

THOR #12702
help

as an after thought, when I found the breaker assembly the yellow flag was not showing but there was a blue push button that when I pushed it released the yellow flag and so I reset it but the above problem continued.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:39 AM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Are you sure about how the cables were hooked up?

You need to check the wiring at the battery.
Start with the yellow wire, trace, tug and follow it, hopefully to a bolt on the frame.

When you find the correct ground wire, it might be red .

Good luck and don't connect the cables till you're sure about them, very hard on your batteries and alternator for the motor.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:05 AM   #6

THOR #12702
help

I did check the cables before and the three red ones are going towards the front and back, the yellow is connected to the reset switch which is grounded to the battery box. I know this should be an easy fix but for the life of me I can't figure out why I don't have any battery power and if the cables are connected still no battery power and then causing the engine problem, can't get it into a shop until Monday if I'm lucky to even get an appointment and hope to be leaving about the 11th for a vacation.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:50 AM   #7

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Take a picture of the battery and post it here. Obviously, the word picture isn't working so well.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Take a picture of the battery and post it here. Obviously, the word picture isn't working so well.
Check the 12 volt fuses on the converter for 2 "Reverse polarity" fuses. 30 or 40 amps.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #9

THOR #12702
help

I was finally able to torque my body between the bed and the wall to get to the fuse panel and checked all the fuses which were good, also the breakers were all good as well. ?????? The three red cables are all connected to a small panel which is located in the top of the battery compartment and then branch off in different directions going towards the front and rear of the motor home, the yellow cable is connected to the breaker with the yellow reset flag and that is mounted outside the battery compartment and fastened to the battery compartment. Frosts me??? I will just have to wait until Tuesday I guess since the Holiday and hope that I can get it into the shop otherwise cancel previous
reservations and make new reservations for a later date. We are planning on going on a kayak trip to Emerald Cove and also some kayaking along the Colorado and some at Lake Mead. We will see what comes up????
Old 09-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Check your battery voltage and polarity
Old 09-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #11

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
I did check the cables before and the three red ones are going towards the front and back, the yellow is connected to the reset switch which is grounded to the battery box. I know this should be an easy fix but for the life of me I can't figure out why I don't have any battery power and if the cables are connected still no battery power and then causing the engine problem, can't get it into a shop until Monday if I'm lucky to even get an appointment and hope to be leaving about the 11th for a vacation.
cramer
Here's a picture of our battery, notice the yellow and red cables are on the + battery terminal.
Look around your battery I think you'll find the missing black - cable .
BESURE to move/remove the yellow cable BEFORE hooking up the ground cable.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_174219.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	25990  
Old 09-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #12

THOR #12702
help Thank you to everyone that responded

Everything is good, took the motorhome in this morning and after a little time, the cables were traced and marked, reattached and all is good. Also Camping World did not charge a thing except a Thank You.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #13

THOR #8139
very good AND the price was right.